• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ok took to range today. I did not shave enough wood and when I assemble I the last time the rear sight is hitting the wood and pushing it up. I shot it at 400meter setting so it would stay consistent and it was over a ft high at 50yds and a little right. The rear site wiggles in its base so I shoved some aluminum shims in to hold it better for now. The grouping of 5 rounds @ 50yds looks promising. These are project guns for sure but I like projects. I will try again after fixing the wood. If still high I may have my son 3D print a new rear sight. Maybe make it adjustable better.

My son put 5 rounds down range with it.

Gonna see if the front sight can be drifted or not.

Attachments

• image-3749598200.jpg
      image-3749598200.jpg
      66.5 KB · Views: 250
    • image-2194879872.jpg
      image-2194879872.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 244
    • image-2552605070.jpg
      image-2552605070.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 244
    • image-1098435654.jpg
      image-1098435654.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 244
    Jul 1, 2012
    Ok took to range today. I did not shave enough wood and when I assemble I the last time the rear sight is hitting the wood and pushing it up. I shot it at 400meter setting so it would stay consistent and it was over a ft high at 50yds and a little right. The rear site wiggles in its base so I shoved some aluminum shims in to hold it better for now. The grouping of 5 rounds @ 50yds looks promising. These are project guns for sure but I like projects. I will try again after fixing the wood. If still high I may have my son 3D print a new rear sight. Maybe make it adjustable better.

Field expediency in action!
    Regarding the 3D printing, how do you create the "blueprint" - do you have a 3-D scanner, or is it wax-on, wax-off with calipers and some sort of CAD-CAM program?
    I have an ulterior motive here, as I need to make a bunch of parts that are simply not available anywhere :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    My son has been doing CADD with AutoCad Creator for the past couple years. He made some custom grips for my wife's 22.
    CADD design, then export to an SLA file, then the printer imports it and he does some settup and prints.
    Thats him shooting it in the middle pic above.

Its not my first option though. I already removed the wood this afternoon that was interfering.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

Does it wiggle side to side, like the pin is too narrow for the holes in the sight leaf or sight base?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Does it wiggle side to side, like the pin is too narrow for the holes in the sight leaf or sight base?

That plus the sight base walls are too wide for the leaf.
    I could probably pull it out of the stock then clamp and squeeze w/ some wood to protect the metal.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK, took to range this morning, its planting 8-9" high (center hold) and about 6" right @ 50 yards. I bore sight it and the rounds are hitting right where the bore is pointed at. The front sight is so far off, I"m thinking the front sight mount might be canted or something. I'll have to take a look at it. The groups are tight though. About as tight as it would get with these kinds of sights. Now, I'm planning to remove the front sight hood and 3D print a new taller front sight. If I can get that hood off (there is a bent pin holding it in) My son can easily 3D print a dovetail front sight for me. He did one for a sidelock muzzleloader already.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK, front sight hood seems like a beyach to remove. Rear sight leaf pin came right off.

I want to do something to make this thing shootable. I don't think it has much value to me right now as it is except as a wall hanger. I don't want to do anything too drastic but at some point, to make it shootable, I have to do some gunsmithing or something
    I have a few choices here
    1) keep working to remove front sight hood. 3D Print a new front sight and shoot it w/o the sight hood. The front sights are that far off that the new front sight would interfere (I think) with the sight hood
    2) Grind away at the rear sight, lowering the top level and cut a new notch to adjust the windage. This would LOOK right, but I"m gonna have to blue the parts that I grind away.
    3) Just 3D print the rear sight leaf. I can print up plenty of them and cut and grind away and shoot it to my delight, putting it back the way I found it, but if I ever sold it or passed it on, would that person like the plastic? Do I really care cause I'll be dead when I pass it on?
    4) drill and tap it and put a scope on it. Uhh,, No, don't think I want to do that.
    5) any other ideas?

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    OK, front sight hood seems like a beyach to remove. Rear sight leaf pin came right off.

I want to do something to make this thing shootable. I don't think it has much value to me right now as it is except as a wall hanger. I don't want to do anything too drastic but at some point, to make it shootable, I have to do some gunsmithing or something
    1) keep working to remove front sight hood. 3D Print a new front sight and shoot it w/o the sight hood. The front sights are that far off that the new front sight would interfere (I think) with the sight hood
    2) Grind away at the rear sight, lowering the top level and cut a new notch to adjust the windage. This would LOOK right, but I"m gonna have to blue the parts that I grind away.
    3) Just 3D print the rear sight leaf. I can print up plenty of them and cut and grind away and shoot it to my delight, putting it back the way I found it, but if I ever sold it or passed it on, would that person like the plastic? Do I really care cause I'll be dead when I pass it on?
    4) drill and tap it and put a scope on it. Uhh,, No, don't think I want to do that.
    5) any other ideas?

Any chance a replacement rear sight or part will help any? https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=50 Can the Tang sight be swapped out for a Lang Vizier? Not speaking from experience, just spit balling.

EDIT: Looking around it looks like you can't swap rear sight to the Lang Vizier, but this is interesting. Never heard of it before, just stumbled into it... http://www.mojosights.com/sample-page/mausers/

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    thx, I think threeband mentioned the Mojo, but I'm not thinking I'd want to do that.
    I measured the original sight with the calipers and the sight seems like the notch was cut straight. Looking at the front and rear sight alignment, I am wondering if the bore was cut at an angle or something.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Mine is going back.

I posted pics of the peened bolt lugs on surplus rifle forum and everyone that replied stated that it isn't safe and that they wouldn't shoot it. That says a lot to me.

I emailed SAMCO with pics and will call them tomrrow as well.

If it were the small parts like the sear alone, I would just deal with it. But the way the bolt lugs look, who knows how the chamber lugs are?

I guess I now get to see how SAMCO's customer service is. This rifle should have never been shipped under any description except a parts gun.

I hate to say it, because they get a lot of love around here, but I am not overly impressed with SAMCO.

My first order was a K31 and I paid for excellent condition. I saw people getting nicer ones weeks and months later being sold as VG.

My vz 24 was a special select and should have been listed as VG.

This never should have been sold at all.

Oh well. You win some, you lose some in this game!

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri

5) any other ideas?

I would buy a replacement rear sight, grind and tinker with it and leave the other in original condition if you're worried about it.... I seem to recall that Numrich has them, but I could be wrong.

Sirex