• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I was wondering if any of you own or have ever fired a Saiga shotgun. My buddy is looking to buy one and I was just wondering if it's worth the money.

Necessary Evil

Sep 21, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I've got 2 and I love them. They have awesome 12 gauge power and the ability to hold 20 shells if you buy the drum. On the down side , they cost quite a bit, however they are slightly lower than I paid at the end of last year. Then if you want to use the higher capacity mags you most convert or "restore" them to comply with 922R. This will cost 400 - 500 hundred bucks to get them how you want them -if you do it yourself, which isn't that hard. Figure you'll have a grand or more in it before your done.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Then if you want to use the higher capacity mags you most convert or "restore" them to comply with 922R. This will cost 400 - 500 hundred bucks to get them how you want them -if you do it yourself, which isn't that hard. Figure you'll have a grand or more in it before your done.

Can you elaborate on this point and what exactly the issue is w/922r?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    They are great fun. Not a "practical" shotgun but a lot of firepower and based on the reliable Kalashnikov action.

These are imported guns that fall under the sporting classification due to low-cap factory mags and no pistol grip. The minute you add a much larger (non-sporting) mag, 922r comes into play. And more specifically, once you convert them to pistol grip configuration--which everyone eventually wants to do--you become a manufacturer and have to replace enough parts to keep the gun compliant with Federal law. It's not tough to do, and there are plenty of helpful guys over at the Saiga-12 forums.

The only issue with them is cycling low power rounds like birdshot usually requires a break-in period at a minimum, and on the extreme end tweaking the gas system a bit.

The3clipser

Mister Tea
    Nov 29, 2009
    They are great fun. Not a "practical" shotgun but a lot of firepower and based on the reliable Kalashnikov action.

These are imported guns that fall under the sporting classification due to low-cap factory mags and no pistol grip. The minute you add a much larger (non-sporting) mag, 922r comes into play. And more specifically, once you convert them to pistol grip configuration--which everyone eventually wants to do--you become a manufacturer and have to replace enough parts to keep the gun compliant with Federal law. It's not tough to do, and there are plenty of helpful guys over at the Saiga-12 forums.

The only issue with them is cycling low power rounds like birdshot usually requires a break-in period at a minimum, and on the extreme end tweaking the gas system a bit.

At my most recent range trip, this actually resulted in stovepipe jams. It was a good opportunity to show my non-gun-savvy friends what it was and how to clear it.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    I dispute the statement that an S12 is "not practical". What's not practical about bustin' clays with a 20rd drum full of birdshot? :D

Yeah ok, the trap and skeet guys will give you a hard time for loading more than 2 shells, but the look on their faces when you let rip 5 or 6 rounds at a time will be priceless. :innocent0

A 5rd Russian mag loaded with buck or slugs makes an awesome HD weapon too.

M6HTZ

Nov 1, 2008
    Signal Mountain, TN
    They are a blast to shoot and modify. The bone stock configuration is not great, but a good starting point. You can either pay to have one dialed in for you, or do it yourself.

This is a gun for a guy who enjoys doing mods and tinkering with guns. That being said once dialed in it's a blast.

wjt1169

IlikeNFA...you know I gotta do it...

righthardangle01.jpg

Frigg'n vicious looking!!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I'm looking to get one in 20 gauge, guy at the store said he could get me one already converted for 500. I am the buddy by the way.

Skip the 20, and get the 12. The 12 will actually gain value. You can covert it with hand tools in a hour or so for around $100 in parts.

I love mine, i just need to pony up for the chokes.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    fixed that one for ya.:D

I prefer to rely on the factory mags for HD - they have have never given me any feed problems unlike my 20rd drum and 10rd Surefires, which are around ~97%. Hi-cap mags are also pretty heavy when fully loaded with high brass ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom