• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The ones "in the know" can throw the b-s flag if they wish on this one.

I bought my safe 10 years ago from Sam's Club in Timonium.

Built like a tank. 400 pounds empty weight. 5/16" steel plate, 20 minute fire rated. Five, inch diameter, steel cross bolt that lock the door in place. Designed to hold 26 long guns. Emerald Green with the Winchester Name and Rider on Horse in Gold.

$450.00

I snatched it up and Continental Arms delivered it for me.

Gotta love Sam's.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Bought a Liberty safe fm Carolina Safes in Waldorf. $3K. Agree that you should plan on extra space...it fills up fast. Carl and his wife Beaula are the owners and a pleasure to deal with. Safe was delivered and installed in the garage. It sits on high blocks to keep moisture off the bottom. Golden rod and two oven drying canisters of silica takes care of the interior.

Phone is (301) 374-2333. They won't disappoint you.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Every Black Friday, Dicks Sporting Goods seems to have free shipping for all online purchases. I had a gun safe delivered for free (saved me $250). If you can wait that long you migh save a few bucks.

As far as humidity, I have a room dehumidifier that keeps everything in the room at 40% humidity. Seems to work well so far.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Years ago, we got around the humidity concerns from bolting to a Concrete floor by first constructing a " box " out of pressure treated 4x4's and then hilti- bolting to the floor. Also the wall behind the safe, really had that sucker "locked in" there! Also, make sure the goldenrod you buy is of the length that will allow you to install the rod horizontally. Mounted at a low point, the goldenrod works on a convection principle. Best o' success!

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    You could build a closet that is fireproof for what a decent safe is but it would not be hardened against break in. If you harden it it would be better to buy a safe. Multiple layers of fire-rated plywood and drywall, and maybe a cement board would make a closet fire proof but it would make the room breachable with sledgehammer, sawsall, crowbar. If that is not your concern the two most costly things would be fire rated door and the a fire rated "weatherstrip" around the door. Everything else would be pretty inexpensive, use steel framing for the support and at least one layer of fire rated drywall. fire rate plywood, and maybe cement board.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    keep in mine that a good "fire safe" is going to keep the temperature below 350 degrees for a specified length of time in a fire that reaches X number of degrees. (Paper scorches at 350 F)

The way many fire safes do that it by their insulation releasing moisture inside the container to raise the humidity. (This is why you should keep stuff like stamp collections in "Zip-Loc" baggies.)

If you just go the fire rated plywood and drywall route - while it may keep the fire out - it may not keep the temperature low enough.

Another thing to consider is that a good fire safe will "swell" when it heats up, for an even better seal against smoke and water damage. (That's in addition to the actual seals around the door.) If you are building a room, make sure it's air tight - or at least will be in a fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom