• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoebe

Dec 29, 2009
    I'd post this under watercooler but I don't have enough posts yet lol....Soooooo, with apologies:

Okay, so I need a little 101 here.

Was going to convert a closet but that seems to be way more expensive than just buying a fireproof safe. Right?

And as I understand it, bolting it to the garage floor is a really bad idea (humidity, right?)

What else do I need to know?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'd post this under watercooler but I don't have enough posts yet lol....Soooooo, with apologies:

Okay, so I need a little 101 here.

Was going to convert a closet but that seems to be way more expensive than just buying a fireproof safe. Right?

To equal a fire resistant safe the improvements would cost a lot more than buying one.

And as I understand it, bolting it to the garage floor is a really bad idea (humidity, right?)

You can get rid of humidity in a number of ways if that is your only worry, ex. golden rod, silica gel packs.

What else do I need to know?

Get a safe twice as large as you think you need.

Most "fireproofing" in safes is merely dry wall that gives off steam in a fire to cool the contents for a short while. Get a safe with "ceramic" or "cement" "fireproofing".

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Check out Safe Depot in Cockeysville/Timonium.

They have a great selection.

ALL really GOOD safes are going to be expensive. $650.00 plus. Stay away from the lightweight Wal-Mart and Bass Pro crap.

The same company has a little, tracked machine that will carry/move your safe anywhere you want it. It even crawls up steps. Very cool.

Phoebe

Dec 29, 2009
    To equal a fire resistant safe the improvements would cost a lot more than buying one.

You can get rid of humidity in a number of ways if that is your only worry, ex. golden rod, silica gel packs.

Get a safe twice as large as you think you need.

Most "fireproofing" in safes is merely dry wall that gives off steam in a fire to cool the contents for a short while. Get a safe with "ceramic" or "cement" "fireproofing".

Awesome! Will the cold that we get here be a problem?

Phoebe

Dec 29, 2009
    Check out Safe Depot in Cockeysville/Timonium.

They have a great selection.

ALL really GOOD safes are going to be expensive. $650.00 plus. Stay away from the lightweight Wal-Mart and Bass Pro crap.

The same company has a little, tracked machine that will carry/move your safe anywhere you want it. It even crawls up steps. Very cool.

Sounds just up my alley!! (or up my steps as the case may be, lol)

I can't find a website for them...do you happen to know if they have one?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Sounds just up my alley!! (or up my steps as the case may be, lol)

I can't find a website for them...do you happen to know if they have one?

They are an affiliate of Continental Arms. 410-560-3609 Ask for Jim (owner) or Jammie (son of owner) or Sandy (wife of owner).

They've been humping my safe for going on 10 years.

Wait! That didn't sound right. You know what I mean.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

Uh, no. Drywall (gypsum) is an endothermic material which absorbs energy in the form of heat thus slowing the heats travel to the interior. The thicker the material, the longer the period of time to reach the other side. ( fire rating in hours).

manderson

Ultimate Member
    Jun 3, 2008
    Not sure where you are located. Gun Connection in White Marsh carries Browning safes and will deliver. My safes are on heavy palettes, but I've known people who put them on hockey pucks in all four corners to get them off the ground. Lots of ways to control humidity, Golden Rods being the best imho.

blacklab25

Mar 26, 2013
    Mardela Springs
    As far as size goes, please get one bigger than what you think you need. I have a 18 gun safe and I have 12 in it and its full. I believe its 18 guns that do not have scopes and are not bolt action. The bolts and scopes take up alot of extra room.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    There are a number of gun safe threads active now. Just search for "Gun safe" and you will read a lot of useful posts.

Be sure to also have a Gun Vault or something easily accessible for the bedroom. Think and read a lot about it and buy a good and large one that you will use for years. Buy once, cry once (a good one is expensive).

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I have not priced safes since I bought mine 10 years ago.

It would appear, by the sarcasim, that safe prices have gone up quite a bit/a crap load since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom