• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

LongTom

Jan 13, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    What Gansler did in his brief was outright lie. The things he mentioned were so preposterous, I had a hard time to continue reading, like when you're watching one of your friends embarrass themselves and you have an innate reaction to look away. Gura did a good job of capitalizing on those lies, showing how ridiculous they are.

That being said, I know we're all excited, but what does this mean for us? My point is that the state will obviously still appeal the decision, and we'll still have to face revocation of our licenses later. So let's keep that in mind. I think I am correct in saying that since the Supreme Court will probably never hear the case, we can probably safely assume that we're home free after the final appeal is over.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I was expecting a little more in the response. But I guess if you are supposed to respond to an already weak argument, there isn't much more you can write.

Page limit.

The brief covered the law and the points used in deciding it. The fact they could fit it in 10 pages is pretty amazing. State response due at end of month. It ought to be interesting.

Note that Gansler & Co. cannot decide to throw their real argument into the reply brief in hopes it prevent a rebuttal from Team Woollard. They basically got to argue the same junk, again, and somehow prove their point using them. Good luck with that.

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    Does anyone know if there is/was a benefit of having this type of back and forth instead of a regular hearing? I think if this was in a regular hearing setting, it would have been done faster. Will the paper trail of these arguments help the other appeals case?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    (From brief)

Defendant Brown’s arguments with respect to the cost and bureaucratic burdens associated
    with the issuance of handgun carry permits are not only unpersuasive, they are not relevant to the
    issues before the Court. The Court did not ask whether the injunction would inconvenience the state.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Ah schit,.... page 8 contains actual DATA and FACTS! :sad20:

(And, a good ending too):

[T]he Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms ‘is not strictly limited to the home
    environment but extends in some form to wherever those activities or needs occur’. . . .
    Although considerable uncertainty exists regarding the scope of the Second Amendment
    right to keep and bear arms, it undoubtedly is not limited to the confines of the home.

Bateman v. Perdue, No. 5:10-CV-265-H, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 47336, at *10-*11 (E.D.N.C.
    Mar. 29, 2012) (citation omitted).

krucam

Ultimate Member
    (From brief)

Defendant Brown’s arguments with respect to the cost and bureaucratic burdens associated
    with the issuance of handgun carry permits are not only unpersuasive, they are not relevant to the
    issues before the Court. The Court did not ask whether the injunction would inconvenience the state.

This is consistent in most of SAF's briefs. Statistics, polls & current events are easy traps to fall prey to, but at the end of the day they're completely irrelevent to our argument. White noise...

Don't follow them down that path, we don't need it to win.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Ganslers responce.... UHHH!!!....... UMMMM!!!!!!! Wait I got it...... NO that won't work. UHHHH!!!! UMMMMM!!!!:lol2:

After how week his opening was and the way Gura just floored everything he said his response should be a good read.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    So the timeline is May 23rd for the reply on the stay.
    Sometime there after Judge Legg will rule on the stay.

MD appeal opening brief: 6/15/2012
    Pltf appeal response: 7/16/2012
    MD appeal Reply: 7/30/2012

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW