• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    This is where I must EAT all of my words where I thought the stay would stay in place all the way through the 4th. What is the likelihood the 4th will or will not grant a stay?

I won't give odds. Invalidation of the MD statute is still a BFD. But the state now has an uphill climb to show that Judge Legg abused his discretion in refusing to issue a permanent stay pending appeal. For everyone who moaned and groaned about the temporary stay, that fact that Judge Legg did it that way is really quite a plus now.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I won't give odds. Invalidation of the MD statute is still a BFD. But the state now has an uphill climb to show that Judge Legg abused his discretion in refusing to issue a permanent stay pending appeal. For everyone who moaned and groaned about the temporary stay, that fact that Judge Legg did it that way is really quite a plus now.

Behold, the virtues of patience!

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Indeed. The battle may now shift to the special session coming up for gambling expansion. We know the Annapolis political leadership might try to moot this whole case.

Esqappellate's cautionary words are well said. We may need everyone on the ramparts for a battle royal in the General Assembly. This "war" is far from over and we have a skilled and determined adversary.

They might try to moot the case, but the only way I see for them to do it is to go shall-issue. Which I think would be the smartest move - go shall-issue, then raise the fees to about $100/year. High enough to generate revenue, low enough not to trigger a legal challenge.

On the other hand, the MD legislature is not noted for intelligence.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Behold, the virtues of patience!

Agreed. And note this line from page 6 of the opinion:

"Defendants have given the Court no basis from which to infer that a significant number of those applicants who have waited patiently for the outcome of this litigation and complied with the permit application process in full would, upon revocation, suddenly decline to adhere to the law."

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    Agreed. And note this line from page 6 of the opinion:

"Defendants have given the Court no basis from which to infer that a significant number of those applicants who have waited patiently for the outcome of this litigation and complied with the permit application process in full would, upon revocation, suddenly decline to adhere to the law."

He likes us! He really likes us!!!:D

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    They might try to moot the case, but the only way I see for them to do it is to go shall-issue. Which I think would be the smartest move - go shall-issue, then raise the fees to about $100/year. High enough to generate revenue, low enough not to trigger a legal challenge.

On the other hand, the MD legislature is not noted for intelligence.

Remember your in Maryland. When it comes to fees and taxes they are not shy.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom