• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Gray Peterson

Aug 18, 2009
    Lynnwood, WA
    sorry if this has been addressed already, since the ruling this thread has been moving fast and i cant keep up lol.

i fairly sure i know the answer to this, but im just double checking.

my brother seems to think that the total cost for the application is $500+, even though ive tried telling him its only about $125.

he says there are other fees associated with other requirements of the application process, but not apart of the application fee itself. he seems to think that you are required to take some handgun classes each in the $200 dollar range. im pretty sure hes wrong as i havent seen any mention to anything like that here or on the application itself.

also, im weary of if this ruling will have any effect on the chances of approval. the only reason i say that is because the whole court ruling ONLY centers around the G&S, however, the application still requires police reports etc, when applying for a permit for personal protection. has no one addressed this?

No training is currently required.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    No training currently required. The fee is variable depending on how you get prints done, etc. If you add the basic costs to passport photos, notaries and postage it will be somewhere in the $125 range, on average.

That's where the number comes from. It's a best-guess on what most people will actually shell out for the application if we include the extra stuff.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    How can they require or justify training now when before the ruling none was required?
    The short answer is that the state legislature can do anything they want as long as it isn't unconstitutional or in conflict with federal law. Just because they didn't do it before is legally irrelevant to whether they can do it now.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Just another good reason to submit your application now before they change the requirements besides G&S.

What about existing permit holders will they be grandfathered or have to meet any new requirements?

Up to the legislature. And yes, they can make you start over by making it applicable to any pending applications for permits. Existing permits are probably pretty safe -- they would be subject to any new requirements on renewal.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    also, im weary of if this ruling will have any effect on the chances of approval. the only reason i say that is because the whole court ruling ONLY centers around the G&S, however, the application still requires police reports etc, when applying for a permit for personal protection. has no one addressed this?

what about this part? since the section that states you must have police reports to prove such a threat exists, does not have the G&S clause in it.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    what about this part? since the section that states you must have police reports to prove such a threat exists, does not have the G&S clause in it.

The police reports and documented threats were to prove that you did have a good and substantial reason.

You no longer need to prove you have a good reason, so the documentation of that proof would be gone also.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I wonder how much (if any) MSI membership has jumped in the past couple days because of this.

I've been telling everyone that brings this topic up about the organization.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I wonder how much (if any) MSI membership has jumped in the past couple days because of this.

I've been telling everyone that brings this topic up about the organization.

Want to make a difference now? Join and Contribute to MSI to help with the legislative process. I did.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I just put self defense as a reason. anything I should add?

I think someone recommended "Self Defense and all lawful purposes"

We use the "all lawful purposes" line for NFA/BATFE reason a lot.

I put under Reason listed for permit per the MSI email: "Self Defense and other lawful purposes". On the additional comments page I wrote: Per Wollard vs Sheridan decision on 3/5/2012 by Judge Legg in the US District Court for Maryland. "A citizen may not be required to offer a "good and substantial reason" why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs" See attached decision, page 20 Highlighted section.

I sent a copy of the ruling with the app.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    That's when I'd go to the boss and say, "the police have no responsibility for my safety and you've denied me the ability to protect myself. That places the responsibility on you and I find your measures lacking."

Then you pack up your office and get a nice unpaid vacation. :rolleyes:

My previous employer had the same policy. So I told my wife if anyone ever went postal, and I became a casualty, she should sue the piss outta them for dereliction.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Anti-gunners may have thought of a few of these, but I highly doubt ALL of them. Thanks for providing them with the thoughts.
    :banghead:
    NOT!

And you just helped out by quoting him. Nice work.

Nice post Chad, typical really, from someone WITH a permit now feeling the need to rain in the parades of those without.

I edited my post since the site is full of a few idiots that cant pull their head out of their ass and think of defense. Im not an anti because I have a permits. My permits are restricted.

Im done.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Proof of delivery for sure.

Where did you do your livescan? How well run was the process? Any insights to help others?

They actually print the App there with the notary on it.

I went there with a completed App, but since they reprinted it with their notary I had to fill it out the main page again. I reuesed the "blank page" for past 5 years of work Exp

Took all of 5 minutes there. Went around noon. to the livescan in Glen Burnie.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom