• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I beg to differ. According to Judge Legg's ruling, he explicitly states that self-defense does not end at the doorstep.

He does state that, but he doesn't specifically address the issue in great detail because it wasn't raised in this case. Unless SCOTUS expanded the question to include permits in general, as opposed to simply the criteria for getting one, I still think we'd need another ruling to cover that.

I could be wrong though.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Finally caught up, for the next 30 seconds until someone else posts...

Could someone very involved in the subject (you know who you are!) please give some guidance on whether it makes more sense to apply or wait for the appeal? Or is this something we can expect in the near future? I see a lot of ideas being thrown around, but unfortunately, I'm not sure who's opinion I should put more stock in!

Also, can we expect any open holster rallies or anything of the sort, hopefully on a weekend so that I can finally attend and meet some of you all?

Thanks again to everyone!!

As am I

The MSP already has thown a monkey wrench in the process dated March 1, 2012 (Could have been from the advance notice Judge Legg sent out).

MSP will only accept electronic fingerprints now...

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    Nope no rent money, Im not a felon, drunk or drug user. No severe mental illness, and Im not violent. 3 police officers as character references. I am also putting down I am in an "assumed risk" profession.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    2. (I wasn't going to post this until after the announcement to appeal was actually made, but it already has been so I can't do any damage.) From a nation-wide damage control point of view, appealing this is very, very stupid for the antis. Right now, this ruling only applies to Maryland and it pretty much makes Maryland Shall Issue. It lays out clearly what can and cannot fly in terms of deciding who can get a carry permit. If Gansler & Co. appeal this all the way up to SCOTUS and we win (which we will), it will apply nationwide. Think about that for a moment. This ruling could very well render New York, California, and New Jersey "Shall Issue" as well as Maryland if we win at SCOTUS. I'm less familiar with how Massachusetts and Hawaii laws work. Sadly, I don't think this ruling would help Illinois or DC because they don't issue permits at all. This is a huge risk for the antis to take; they're basically betting their remaining "stronghold" states that they can beat this. Dumb.

Am I wrong here?
    Interesting thoughts... :thumbsup:

aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    (Could have been from the advance notice Judge Legg sent out)

Inigoes, do you have a source for that or is it just speculation? You're not the first person who I've heard say that but I haven't seen that in any articles and I didn't know that was SOP for any courts.

Thanks!

Lightning

Feb 5, 2011
    The Peoples Republic of MD
    Well, this thread took forever to read an catch up. To go from 217 pages last night to 251 tonight is a mere milestone. Congrats to all who worked hard to help secure this win. This is some of the best news I have seen outside of learning about the SAF suit. However, we must remain vigilant and keep our fingers crossed that there is no stay and we win at the 4th... Thanks again!!!!!

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    As am I

The MSP already has thown a monkey wrench in the process dated March 1, 2012 (Could have been from the advance notice Judge Legg sent out).

Let's not mischaracterize it, though. The FBI changed their policy per that memorandum. I'm sure MSP is REALLY upset about it, though. lol

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    :wave: to all our guests reading this thread right now

Im going to hold off on tossing my application on the pile and let the dust settle. im sure an amended form will be coming forthwith and all applications sent in on the wrong form will be denied and app fees kept:o

aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    In a "Shall Issue" condition, should there even be a need for "character references"???

We have 'em up here in PA, but at least here in York Co. they're purely a formality on the Statewide app form. I know for a fact that the Sheriff's office didn't call them or care who they were, the deputy just made me write "someone's name and phone number" in the blanks. I'm sure MD won't be that laid back initially, but references on the app aren't necessarily a PITA.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Inigoes, do you have a source for that or is it just speculation? You're not the first person who I've heard say that but I haven't seen that in any articles and I didn't know that was SOP for any courts.

Thanks!

A while back in this thread, it was put out that each party will get an advance notice, before the opinion was released to the public. It would make sense to allow each party to review an opinion for technical mistakes, just like meeting minutes.

Although my tinfoil is thick :tinfoil:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    As am I

This could be construed as them putting up an illegal barrier.

It'd be nice if they're forced to offer the scan at ALL barracks.

aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    A while back in this thread, it was put out that each party will get an advance notice, before the opinion was released to the public. It would make sense to allow each party to review an opinion for technical mistakes, just like meeting minutes.

Although my tinfoil is thick :tinfoil:

Sure, I could see why it would be done, I just wasn't clear that it typically was (and I confess I haven't read the full docket for this case in quite some time). Thanks for the clarification.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    **insert witty remark normally made when this thread isnt so damn important**

im sorry i didnt use the :sarcasm: for the slow bus chilren:D

Yeah, well with all the armageddon/conspiracy theory / Obama is gonna take away my guns types around here it's hard to tell who's are real whacko or just joking around. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom