• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    becareful with that advice right now, the stats aren't going to help much and the denial that is sure to come on most cases might prohibit the denied person from getting permits in other states that have questions on their application like "have you ever been denied a firearms permit before?"

There are conflicting reports on if being denied for a Maryland CCW affects your applications.

Some have reported it raises a red flag; while others have reported that Maryland's attitude is own and a denial can be ignored if it was for the subjective part.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    #49 was the latest on the Docket. I'd expect Jensen/SAF to comment on this one....or maybe not...
    :innocent0

Quoting myself...sorry. SAF DID decide to respond to the NJ-pfft-cision today....among other things.

01/23/2012 50[RECAP] NOTICE by Second Amendment Foundation, Inc., Raymond Woollard re 48[RECAP] Notice (Other), 21[RECAP] MOTION for Summary Judgment, 49[RECAP] Notice (Other), 25[RECAP] Cross MOTION for Summary Judgment of Supplemental Authority, and response to Defendants' Notices (Gura, Alan) (Entered: 01/23/2012)
    Brief:
    NOTICE OF NEWLY DECIDED AUTHORITY, AND REPLY TO
    DEFENDANTS’ CITATION OF SUPPLEMENTAL AUTHORITY

The Newly Decided Authority that Pltf's present is the recent Chapman decision at CA4, which ran along the lines of Chester.
    See: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=74102

They bring up US v Staten, also recently decided in CA4, along the lines of Chapman & Chester. I need to look into Staten unfortunately. There's a good overview in today's brief.

Finally, Pltf's bring up the very recent and very favorable CA1 Opinion in US v Rehlander, covering Mental Illness and Involuntary Commitments not necessarily cutting it for firearm prohibition.
    See: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=73690

In a quick "Shot" at the Defendants...
    3. Defendants’ Citations
    Defendants have taken issue with Plaintiffs’ responses to their persistent citation of supplemental authority. Plaintiffs agree there is no need for further briefing. However, it is accepted practice in many courts to offer some minimal explanation of supplemental authority so that the court is not left guessing as to the authority’s relevance, or lack thereof.
    :lol2:

They then go on to begin the summary dismantling of NJ's Piszczatoski case...I won't spoil it and it is well worth the read.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I have heard from several folks present at the NJ oral arguments that the judge was very biased, and this supplemental authority points this out along with all the other problems of that opinion.

Lightning

Feb 5, 2011
    The Peoples Republic of MD
    Brief: [URL="http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.mdd.180772/gov.uscourts.mdd.180772.50.0.pdf" said:
    DEFENDANTS’ CITATION OF SUPPLEMENTAL AUTHORITY[/URL].

Nice read!!!! Gura and Hansel are truly gifted and articulate their points extraordinary well.

Al Norris

Spud Head
    Dec 1, 2010
    Rupert, Idaho
    It is manifestly clear that, regrettably, many courts simply refuse to follow Heller and McDonald. They read ambiguity into Heller’s clear sources, decline to apply Heller’s constitutional definitions, declare for no logical reason that the case was limited to its facts, or outright refuse to develop the law of the Second Amendment as though the Supreme Court were, for this one Constitutional provision, the court of first resort.

Ouch! That was meant to hurt.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    There are conflicting reports on if being denied for a Maryland CCW affects your applications.

Some have reported it raises a red flag; while others have reported that Maryland's attitude is own and a denial can be ignored if it was for the subjective part.

Depends on the state. Some don't even ask that question on the application, so it's unlikely they could deny you for it.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Quoting myself...sorry. SAF DID decide to respond to the NJ-pfft-cision today....among other things.

Brief:
    DEFENDANTS’ CITATION OF SUPPLEMENTAL AUTHORITY

The Newly Decided Authority that Pltf's present is the recent Chapman decision at CA4, which ran along the lines of Chester.
    See: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=74102

They bring up US v Staten, also recently decided in CA4, along the lines of Chapman & Chester. I need to look into Staten unfortunately. There's a good overview in today's brief.

Finally, Pltf's bring up the very recent and very favorable CA1 Opinion in US v Rehlander, covering Mental Illness and Involuntary Commitments not necessarily cutting it for firearm prohibition.
    See: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=73690

In a quick "Shot" at the Defendants...

:lol2:

They then go on to begin the summary dismantling of NJ's Piszczatoski case...I won't spoil it and it is well worth the read.

After reading that brief, I'd think it is abundantly clear that the right to carry concealed is a fundamental right in Maryland. (And I don't have a law degree)

Only a recognition
    that law abiding, responsible people have a right to bear arms, meaning that however else it
    might be regulated, and accepting fully that it can be licensed and limited in specific
    circumstances, this is no longer something to which they must prove their entitlement

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    After reading that brief, I'd think it is abundantly clear that the right to carry concealed is a fundamental right in Maryland. (And I don't have a law degree)

Gotta agree with you on that one. I always enjoy these briefs.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Got another b/s reply back:

Thank you for your correspondence regarding gun permits. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with me.

Currently, Maryland law states that an individual must have “good and substantial reasons” to wear, carry, or transport a handgun. This reason includes a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger. Last session, there were efforts to overturn this part of the existing state law. House Bill 343 “Public Safety-Handgun Permits-Repeal of Finding Requirements” was introduced in the House Judiciary Committee last March. However, the committee issued an unfavorable report and the law remained unchanged.

I understand your concerns about constitutional rights and personal safety, and appreciate you reaching out to our office. For more information on public safety law, you may find it helpful to contact the House Judiciary Committee. The main office staff may be reached via telephone at 410-841-3488.

Once again, I appreciate your taking the time to write to me about the above matters. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Delegate John A. Olszewski, Jr.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    Got another b/s reply back:

Oh, oh, I LOVE those replies! The ones that tell you what you already know, and religiously avoid taking a position? It always comforts me to know that my representatives don't have the nuts to tell me whether they agree with me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom