• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Thanks for the reminder about the hearing. Krucam and the rest of you are my external memory devices. Hopefully we'll get some audio from it.

FBH51: Masciandaro filed for cert, as did Williams. But the court has not accepted either right now, which means they stand as-is. Once the court accepts one or both (there are reasons they could take both), I think we're going to those cases that refer to it go on hold.

As a matter of fact, a great number of carry-related cases will go on hold. It's a good thing the SAF has been filing a bunch of non-carry cases lately with which to keep busy if all the others go take a SCOTUS-inspired nap. :innocent0

At best, we're one year out from a carry decision. At worst...two. Though I think the SCOTUS-bait is strong on these two cases. If they don't bite these, I have no idea what they'll take. All these two cert petitions are lacking are developed 14th Amendment claims...but we are past incorporation of the right at this point. We're just arguing over what the right entails.

I'm trying to avoid wishful thinking, but I say we will have our answer this time next year.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    So I guess the short version is, "don't run out and buy that carry gun, just yet."

I'm glad our forefathers weren't this patient about their rights, or we'd all still pictures of a queen on our money.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    I know I'll be making a purchase. I've only bought full-size pistols because of Maryland's tyrannical ways.
    I've been having this issue myself. I'm a big guy, and like full sized pistols. I have an XD 4" in .40 that I've carried in VA. Unfortunately, it doesn't conceal very well in the holster I have (don't hate, they were good at the time I bought my SERPA, but I've got plans on changing that).

So, I've been back and forth between glock and sig and even the full size 17/226 or the smaller 19/229s. It's quite the conundrum.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    :innocent0:lol2:
    I've been having this issue myself. I'm a big guy, and like full sized pistols. I have an XD 4" in .40 that I've carried in VA. Unfortunately, it doesn't conceal very well in the holster I have (don't hate, they were good at the time I bought my SERPA, but I've got plans on changing that).

So, I've been back and forth between glock and sig and even the full size 17/226 or the smaller 19/229s. It's quite the conundrum.

Or, you could get a real caliber, CW45, that's all I'm saying.:innocent0:lol2:

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    :innocent0:lol2:

Or, you could get a real caliber, CW45, that's all I'm saying.:innocent0:lol2:

Or a Real Man's(tm) caliber: the .380. I say "Real Man" because after shooting the bad guy with the .380, you'll need to end it with a fist fight. :lol2:

OK, serious thread jack territory and I just referenced another thread on the .380.

But to bring it back home, I'd say folks who are serious about carrying might want to budget something for next summer. Nothing is assured (it could be another year), but I think we're going to have our answer by then.

Here's hoping we like the answer...

A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    This is quite a long thread 156 pages- would someone who has been closely following this be willing to post a summary?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    This is quite a long thread 156 pages- would someone who has been closely following this be willing to post a summary?

There is a Sticky in the National 2A forums that shows current cases. Dockets and links to discussion

Here's the Docket for this case, Woollard v. Sheridan, it can be scanned for a Cliff's Notes status: http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.mdd.180772/gov.uscourts.mdd.180772.docket.html

All scheduled filings are complete. The ball is in the Judge's court. We got a new Judge mid-cycle. This new Judge wants to "talk" next week. Item 35 on the Docket shows:
    NOTICE of Hearing: Motions Hearing on Summary Judgment, paper nos. 12, 21 & 25, scheduled for 7/21/2011 at 10:00 AM in Courtroom 7A, 101 West Lombard Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, before Judge Benson Everett Legg. (Legg, Benson Everett) (Entered: 04/27/2011)

Hearings on the various Motions for Summary Judgment....final time for him to ask questions from Counsel. 2-3 months (plus/minus) we should have a ruling.

Srsanbo

Massive Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    Or a Real Man's(tm) caliber: the .380. I say "Real Man" because after shooting the bad guy with the .380, you'll need to end it with a fist fight. :lol2:

OK, serious thread jack territory and I just referenced another thread on the .380.

But to bring it back home, I'd say folks who are serious about carrying might want to budget something for next summer. Nothing is assured (it could be another year), but I think we're going to have our answer by then.

Here's hoping we like the answer...

My opinion is get it now if you have the means - you never can predict the future and what it holds. After weighing out options and considering all facets, I chose the Glock 17...got it when they were being sold at cost after the VA Tech tragedy. In hindsight, I should have got that G20 too.

I am more optimistic every day that our rights will be recognized in MD, primarily due to Patrick's keen observations and analysis. There was a story on the news last night about how people were upset about the BPD response time to their neighborhood - and let's just say it was a liberal leaning part of town. Hopefully they will come to their senses and realize they will need to step up and protect themselves, and take that with them to the polls. Pipe dream, I know, but optimism helps me get through the drudgery :).

Last edited:

krucam

Ultimate Member
    So no oral arguments? What questions could the judge ask during this hearing?

Here's the "announcement":
    NOTICE of Hearing: Motions Hearing on Summary Judgment, paper nos. 12, 21 & 25, scheduled for 7/21/2011 at 10:00 AM in Courtroom 7A, 101 West Lombard Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, before Judge Benson Everett Legg. (Legg, Benson Everett) (Entered: 04/27/2011)

It is a "Motions Hearing", for the Motions for Summary Judgments filed, #12, #21 & #25 on the Docket. It is his final chance to ask any lingering questions of Counsel on the MSJ's.

The Judge will most certainly know which way he is going to go (which MSJ to grant, which to deny) on 7/21. Anyone attending "may" be able to read the Judge if he doesn't have a good poker face at this Hearing as to which way he's leaning.

The rest of us will have to wait a few months for him to pen his thoughts on paper (in 1's and 0's).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom