• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Here we go. SCOTUS’s judgment is now effective and as such, the 4th Circuit has ordered supplemental briefing. Plaintiffs’ brief due 8/22

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Here we go. SCOTUS’s judgment is now effective and as such, the 4th Circuit has ordered supplemental briefing. Plaintiffs’ brief due 8/22

Whew! Like watching paint dry. I know, we can all do other things with our time. Like hitting refresh on the MSP LD web site portal.

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to reading those briefs. Will this also provide an opportunity for more amicus briefs, or just the plaintiff's?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Whew! Like watching paint dry. I know, we can all do other things with our time. Like hitting refresh on the MSP LD web site portal.

Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to reading those briefs. Will this also provide an opportunity for more amicus briefs, or just the plaintiff's?
    There were no amicus briefs filed in the District Court or the Appeals Court. There is an opportunity for amicus briefs with the leave of the Court.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    "Now effective", can you explain that to me.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
    SCOTUS's remand to 4CA for redecision of Bianchi is being acted on by scheduling of briefs. Bruen didn't redecide Bianchi on its own, SCOTUS directed 4CA to redecide it in light of Bruen and THT analysis.

I'm curious to see MDAG's attempt to defend any part of the statute under Bruen. "Oh, look! Over there! Public Safety!" and "It is so because we say it is" arguments won't work anymore.

Last edited:

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    "Now effective", can you explain that to me.

The opinion does not become effective until the judgment is issued. This does not occur until all appeals have been exhausted. With SCOTUS, the judgment does not issue until 30 days after the opinion.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    The opinion does not become effective until the judgment is issued. This does not occur until all appeals have been exhausted. With SCOTUS, the judgment does not issue until 30 days after the opinion.
    Thanks. I was unaware of the 30 day delay.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Briefings Aug/Sept, Oral Arguments in December. This is being fast tracked.
    It sounds like for better or worse we may not have a decision from the appeals court until roughly the end of the MGA session unless they issue a decision a lot faster after oral arguments than I think they will (I am suspecting 3-4 months after oral arguments).

I am half suspecting MGA is going to be throwing everything at the wall. I wonder if Bianchi strikes down Maryland's AWB and Maryland expands it further this session, does that pre-emptively gut the new stuff, or will yet a new suit need to be filed (I'd imagine a slam dunk if Bianchi just struck down related Maryland code).

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    It sounds like for better or worse we may not have a decision from the appeals court until roughly the end of the MGA session unless they issue a decision a lot faster after oral arguments than I think they will (I am suspecting 3-4 months after oral arguments).

I am half suspecting MGA is going to be throwing everything at the wall. I wonder if Bianchi strikes down Maryland's AWB and Maryland expands it further this session, does that pre-emptively gut the new stuff, or will yet a new suit need to be filed (I'd imagine a slam dunk if Bianchi just struck down related Maryland code).
    I expect the House will go Full Hochul on us, but the Senate JPC Chair is much more likely to think about what he passes out of his committee. There will probably be some experimentation around the edges of Bruen and Bianchi (taxes, insurance, "nuisance" time-place-manner-storage rules with huge criminal penalties), but I don't see Smith passing something certain to get overturned, or that is a direct middle finger to the court system.

If anything nasty escapes the session and it is blatantly against court rulings, we should be able to get a TRO against enforcement, and then a permanent injunction. It's creative, new approach laws that attack firearms ownership, purchase, and carry through means short of bans that will be the problem because they'll require a new ground-up set of law suits to fight.

The best case scenario that actually has a chance of happening is a fight between psychotic anti-2A extremists in the House and the legal perfectionist JPC in the Senate, where each refuses to yield and nothing of substance passes. We've seen that happen before, and it could happen again.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I expect the House will go Full Hochul on us, but the Senate JPC Chair is much more likely to think about what he passes out of his committee. There will probably be some experimentation around the edges of Bruen and Bianchi (taxes, insurance, "nuisance" time-place-manner-storage rules with huge criminal penalties), but I don't see Smith passing something certain to get overturned, or that is a direct middle finger to the court system.

If anything nasty escapes the session and it is blatantly against court rulings, we should be able to get a TRO against enforcement, and then a permanent injunction. It's creative, new approach laws that attack firearms ownership, purchase, and carry through means short of bans that will be the problem because they'll require a new ground-up set of law suits to fight.

The best case scenario that actually has a chance of happening is a fight between psychotic anti-2A extremists in the House and the legal perfectionist JPC in the Senate, where each refuses to yield and nothing of substance passes. We've seen that happen before, and it could happen again.
    Your last is my hope.

*edit* correction, my hope is they get onboard with Bruen and understand this is a right and they clean up Maryland law to recognize it as such. But that'll happen when pigs learn to fly without assistance.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey