S&W trying to stop trigger mods to Sigma?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    And here is some one who has worked around it.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-...9816-sigma-trigger-job-pinned-sear-block.html

For an inexpensive gun that goes bang every time i pull the trigger im not complaining. I have yet to have any problems with mine and i like it just fine. I tried out the glock and liked the sigma more. The platforms are pretty identical.

Not pretty identical.
    Identical internally. So much so Glock sued.

But god help me it is the worst trigger I have ever touched on a semi-auto. I have no idea what S&W was thinking or who approved it for production.

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Not pretty identical.
    Identical internally. So much so Glock sued.

But god help me it is the worst trigger I have ever touched on a semi-auto. I have no idea what S&W was thinking or who approved it for production.

Not to mention they have a tendency to rust fairly quickly on the slide unless you take real good care of them.

The first time i shot a sigma I thought there was something wrong with the gun because of how horrible the trigger was. I field stripped it to make sure there wasn't anything blocking the trigger or to see if a spring or something broke.

kjf45

Jan 3, 2012
    Catonsville
    I haven't had problems with mine yet. I think its a pretty good shooter. You can do a little polishing to clean up the trigger if it needs it. There are people that have no problems and love them then you have others that hate them. Theres other guns that are the same way it all depends on your taste. Im not disagreeing that s&w could have done a few things different but for the price its hard to beat.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    The story from S&W is they intentionally made the trigger the way it is because apparently they sold a lot of them to Law enforcement when they were switching from DAO revolvers to semi - autos - I guess they didn't want them blowing off rounds unintentionally with a 3 # trigger. It was supposed to more closely resemble the trigger pull on the revolvers they were used to. I have a sigma 40 and came to realize it is a pretty good shooter if you concentrate on the trigger pull a little. I took out the springs and although it made the trigger lighter it didn't make it any more accurate - I'm probably going to put them back in. Of course I don't try to empty the clip in 3 seconds and have a 1 inch group at 10 yards either...

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Of course I don't try to empty the clip in 3 seconds and have a 1 inch group at 10 yards either...

I didn't realize that S&W made a sigma that used clips, cool! Have you found a place to buy 9mm or 40S&W pre loaded onto the clips? How easy it is to remove the slide to make room to push the ammo into the magazine? :innocent0

-Jim

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Wow, putting in time and money to prevent trigger mods instead of making the trigger better to begin with? That makes sense.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    Wow, putting in time and money to prevent trigger mods instead of making the trigger better to begin with? That makes sense.

Basically.
    I'm sure S&W is quite aware of the trigger complaints. How much could an improved trigger add to the BOM when amortized against the number of units they produce?
    .25-.30 cents per unit?

kjf45

Jan 3, 2012
    Catonsville
    I didn't realize that S&W made a sigma that used clips, cool! Have you found a place to buy 9mm or 40S&W pre loaded onto the clips? How easy it is to remove the slide to make room to push the ammo into the magazine? :innocent0

-Jim

You get them there clips the same place you get your blinker fluid. You just have to rack that thingy back real hard till it stays and everything fits like a glove. :innocent0

Basically.
    I'm sure S&W is quite aware of the trigger complaints. How much could an improved trigger add to the BOM when amortized against the number of units they produce?
    .25-.30 cents per unit?

Doesnt make much sence to us but to them im sure its a legality issue since glock went after them already this was probably the easiest and least expensive way to fix it. Im sure they had a few warrenty claims from people that messed the assembly up and tried to put it back together so s&w would fix it. Ive read on s&w forum that you can send your gun back to them and they would polish it and possibly put in a different spring to lighten it. You also have to remember they were going for a low budget shooter so to keep costs down they had to trim savings some where.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Even still, I think a 9 lb trigger makes more sense than what it is.... 12 to 15?

I also think they do not want to cannibalize M&P sales. The SD models have been dropped, I hear.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I don't get the whole Sigma bashing thing. I can "fix" the trigger on my Sigma in 10 minutes and put it back to stock in the same amount of time if I ever need to send it in for service.

The gun is well made. If you hate how cheap the Sigma looks and feels you should hate a Glock as well. Both are plastic crap according to Sig Sauer owners.

BTW, my trigger is around 11lbs from the factory...Glock now sends police issued Glocks to many depts nationwide with a minimum 8+ lb trigger. For me, even a 15lb trigger isn't an issue. I guess when I get my Glock and/or Sig sponsorship confirmed I will start the banner waving. Until then, I will have to budget my gun purchases.

kjf45

Jan 3, 2012
    Catonsville
    I don't get the whole Sigma bashing thing. I can "fix" the trigger on my Sigma in 10 minutes and put it back to stock in the same amount of time if I ever need to send it in for service.

The gun is well made. If you hate how cheap the Sigma looks and feels you should hate a Glock as well. Both are plastic crap according to Sig Sauer owners.

BTW, my trigger is around 11lbs from the factory...Glock now sends police issued Glocks to many depts nationwide with a minimum 8+ lb trigger. For me, even a 15lb trigger isn't an issue. I guess when I get my Glock and/or Sig sponsorship confirmed I will start the banner waving. Until then, I will have to budget my gun purchases.

I didnt understand and still dont understand why people hate on the sigma that own a glock. I guess its personal preference even though there pretty similar. Or they paid some where over a couple hundred dollars more for a gun thats similar so there butt hurt about it. I guess every company has its little followers and thinks there guns are superior to another manufacturer.

I personally liked the sigma more when i tested them both out, hence why i got it. The price was just an added bonus.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I have to wonder how Ruger pulled off the SR9, as the internals are identical to a Glock as well, so much so that I have swapped out connectors in each and they work both ways. Maybe they are paying a license fee to Glock?

The Sigma's aren't that bad of a gun, but I agree, the trigger is pretty rough. If they would improve that part, I'd probably pick one up, as cheap as they are.

MH

kjf45

Jan 3, 2012
    Catonsville
    High round count, dirty pistols, mud, water, throwing them. I have a glock 22, screw it why not try it out??

High round count with out cleaning, no problem. Taking a little dirt and getting it worked in i might go for it. Water ehh maybe but probably not because with out cleaning i don't want a possibility of rust. Throwing it around no. I don't want to purposely destroy my gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom