• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Having bit of a problem here

When I fire my bodyguard 380 the magazine decides to remove itself from the gun... I have tried different grips, different pressures different pretty much everything. Talked to Smith and Wesson and they wanted the gun back. So I sent it off and got it back last week. Went to the range yesterday and the same thing is happening. So now they want it back again.

Has anyone had this problem before? I have heard of a couple people having the problem but it's starting to piss me off. I cant really defend myself if after I fire I have to push the damn clip back in and load it again or un-jam the weapon

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not for anything, but did you fire it with your other hand?

After which round does it usually fall out?

Do you have the mag loaded to capacity? This sometimes makes a shooter not be able to seat it all the way in. Load the mag minus 1 round to alleviate some pressure and see what that does.

Shoot it with 1 round in the mag, charge the weapon ( gun hot, empty mag) and see what happens.

Do you have some sort of rubber slip over finger grip sleeve that may be interfering with the mag release?

With no mag inserted, does the mag release press freely and unobstructed?

Do you have one with either red laser or green laser? Maybe you trying to actuate the laser button (on the grip for the green laser, or forward for the red) is making you do something with the mag release.

You said you've tried everything, but I doubt it.

Just my .02

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    The first one I owned the mag did not seat right and could be pulled right out. I received a new one from Smith buy have not had a chance to shoot yet.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Not for anything, but did you fire it with your other hand?

After which round does it usually fall out?

Do you have the mag loaded to capacity? This sometimes makes a shooter not be able to seat it all the way in. Load the mag minus 1 round to alleviate some pressure and see what that does.

Shoot it with 1 round in the mag, charge the weapon ( gun hot, empty mag) and see what happens.

Do you have some sort of rubber slip over finger grip sleeve that may be interfering with the mag release?

With no mag inserted, does the mag release press freely and unobstructed?

Do you have one with either red laser or green laser? Maybe you trying to actuate the laser button (on the grip for the green laser, or forward for the red) is making you do something with the mag release.

You said you've tried everything, but I doubt it.

Just my .02

Blaster,

The only thing I didn't try was using the other hand. It would eject no matter how many rounds were left. It would even eject when the only round was in the chamber and no where else. I might run out to the range and try the other hand before I send it back. The mag release does press freely with no magazine. It has the red crimson trace laser and I haven't used it at the rang and also I do not use a rubber grip over the gun. Thanks for the tips

Rico. It was a bodyguard?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Hold the slide and insert the magazine until you hear a click. Then shake vigorously to see if it falls out over a carpeted area. Or if that scares you grab the baseplate and pull once it's fully inserted.
    This will tell you if you have a faulty magazine or magazine catch.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Hold the slide and insert the magazine until you hear a click. Then shake vigorously to see if it falls out over a carpeted area. Or if that scares you grab the baseplate and pull once it's fully inserted.
    This will tell you if you have a faulty magazine or magazine catch.

Tried both and it passed. I am going to shoot left handed tomorrow to try to rule out the human error part.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I owned one of these. My issue was FTF with different types of ammo. It has a second strike capability, but pulling the trigger twice or in some cases 3-4 times before the round fires just don't cut it.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I owned one of these. My issue was FTF with different types of ammo. It has a second strike capability, but pulling the trigger twice or in some cases 3-4 times before the round fires just don't cut it.

Man that sucks. I never had that happen yet and I will probably sell it before it does.

I did go to the range today and it did eject when I fired from my off hand.

It is now at fed ex being shipped back

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Just got it back. They replaced the whole body and sent a clip with it. the only difference I can see is the gripping is more noticeable. I am going to fire it tonight and see if it actually makes a difference. I might sell it regardless of how it performs, there is always going to be that little thing in the back of my head that says it might screw up at the moment I am going to need it the most.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The gun still ejected the magazine 3 times out of 50 rounds and one failure to fire after the primer was struck it is now for sale

Can't you return it to S&W for a refund as a lemon? I would be very reluctant to pass on a reliability problem such as this to another gun owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom