• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Homer712

Sep 23, 2012
    Recently retired and the wife and I are looking at spending time at the shooting range. I shot in the military (such a long time ago) both M14 and .45 Officer's issue. Signed the wife up for an October "Ladies Only" pistol class at Izzak Walton in Frederick. We've been to a number of local gun shops and had the opportunity to handle many of the guns listed in this "Rimfire" forum. It looks like we've narrowed it down to two possible choices, the Ruger SR22 and the S&W M&P22.

Any advice or possibly anything else we should consider. Once comfortable with the 22LR I plan on getting at least a 9mm for home defense.

Thanks, and this site is a wonderful source of (factual) gun information!

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    I bought the SR22 for my wife to shoot, she likes my Mark II a lot more. The SR 22 is a fun gun to shoot, though its not very accurate, and its on the small side. The MP 22 is the same size as the MP 9 and makes for a much better training gun. I do not have the MP 22 so I cannot comment on how it shoots, I may buy 1 in the near future though. I believe MP 9 holsters work with the MP 22 as well, another great training benefit.

revobreaker

Nov 13, 2011
    SOMD
    I havent handled an sr22

I have a M&P22 and have handled a P22. I have bigger hands the p22 is a little small, so the SR22 may be similar. So you will want to feel them both.

The benefit of the m&p is that is is supposed to have aprox. the same dimensions as a bigger caliber. Therefore your practice may transfer over easier if you also get an m&p9. My 22 also fits in a fobus holster that is made for the bigger calibers.

I am sure you can find someone to let you try each out before you make your decision.

I have no complaints on my m&p22

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    So So Many Choices

As u have found, their are many many choices in 22lr and 9mm handguns.

U will find their are even more opinions on which is best.

MY philosophy: if it feels good, shoots good - u have the $- buy it-shoot it-have fun.

Once having fun shooting, u may find it hard not to buy another - funny how that first gun safe is always to small.

OK, one more thing is important for me - it has to look good- and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Unfortunately for me I haven't found a gun I didn't like - even the ones that visit the work bench for adjustments, repair, cleaning more frequently and or back to manufacturer.

My choice for 22lr handgun is Browning Buck Mark and for 9mm 1911 platform - Browning Hi-Power and STI International. So far they have only been on my bench for cleaning and trigger job (can't help myself - all my guns get a trigger job of some sort).

If gun ergonomics are right for you , shoots good for u - buy it have fun.

Within reason, the initial price of firearm means very little if you are an active shooter - AMMO cost can quickly exceed cost of firearm rather quickly. Of course 22lr ammo cheap and 9mm not bad, so your caliber choices in it itself saves allot of $. But it is funny how other calibers can creep into ones gun safe.

ducrider45

Jul 29, 2011
    Severn
    Well lets see the SR22 is a Walther P22 and the frames crack and the mp22 is a Walther and I would not be surprised if the frames will crack on them.
    http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p22/16146-p22-crack-slide-others-have-come-apart.html

???? The SR22 is no P22. The SR22 is very well built. It also shoots everything you feed it. I have both, and the SR22 makes the P22 look and feel like a cheap toy. The SR fits in the hand better too.My P22 is curently at S&W getting repaired. It never worked well.

To the OP: dont waste your time with the Walther. Look at the several Ruger 22's or the Browning Buckmark. They all are of great quality. It will come down to what works best for you and your wife. Try them all.
    Im a Browning Buckmark fan!

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Is price an issue? If not, I suggest you consider the Sig P226.

You can buy the Sig P226 in 9mm, and then for a few hundred more, the .22LR Classic conversion kit. It is a 30-second swap of the slide and magazines. Yes you pay a premium for the Sig, but it is an extremely well-made pistol that your wife will likely enjoy shooting, as a Double-Action/Single-Action pistol. The controls are nearly similar to the 1911 .45 you are familiar with, but without the thumb safety and with a de-cocker.

Also, the P226 has a very ergonomic grip that will likely fit both of your hands. I suggest getting into a gun shop and checking it out. They are also very easy to field strip and clean.

Plethora of P226 models:
    http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p226.aspx

Conversion kit:
    http://www.sigsauer.com/sigstore/ShowProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=103&productid=266

Worthy to note, the P226 .22 kit is a little picky with cheaper ammo. If you use full-impulse CCI Minimags, however, it is flawless. I think the only downside I could mention is that the magazines are fairly expensive, but that's all relative to your budget. They are the same form factor as the standard 9mm magazines (although only 10rd capacity), and that is great for training.

That said, if you want separate .22 and 9mm pistols, and are not concerned about training crossover, then I suggest the Ruger Mark III, potentially in the 22/45 configuration, although the Buckmark is every bit as good. And then an M&P, Sig, H&K, or Glock for 9mm HD with some high quality, proven duty ammo. Again, personal preference.

Hope it helps!

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If my choice is the two guns listed, I would go with the Ruger SR22. The Ruger Marks (I,II,and III) are better shooters and are my regular range guns.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Well lets see the SR22 is a Walther P22 and the frames crack and the mp22 is a Walther and I would not be surprised if the frames will crack on them.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p22/16146-p22-crack-slide-others-have-come-apart.html

It's the cheap potmetal slide on the P22 that keeps cracking, and neither of the guns mentioned share that attribute with the P22. In fact, both of them have fairly nice milled AL slides. Both are far superior to the P22.

To the OP: I personally think you would do better with a MKIII or Buckmark, but both of the mentioned pistols are fine. I would give the edge to the M&P22 based on its ergonomics, but that's personal to me.

KimuraFTW

Jul 20, 2012
    Clinton, MD
    Uh oh, I was just thinking of buying a P22. Are you guys saying it's not that good. The M&P 22 is only $100 more. Would that be a better buy?

Homer712

Sep 23, 2012
    Boy, talk about "food for thought." Thanks to all who took the time to post. This truly seems like THE place to come for gun information.

Went back to a local shop this afternoon and "held" the Ruger Mark III, S&W 22A and the Browning Buck Mark. The Buck Mark was something to fall in love with! All I need to do now is to convince the better half that the extra $ are worth it in exchange for my doing the yard work.

Again, thanks to everyone. I'm new to these forums and I'm sure there will be many more questions forthcoming.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    You won't be disappointed!

Now... how to sneak through a set of Rosewood target grips?
    B5152873.jpg
    buckmarkrosewoodgrips.jpg

Hi Point Naga

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 22, 2012
    All I need to do now is to convince the better half that the extra $ are worth it in exchange for my doing the yard work.

Again, thanks to everyone. I'm new to these forums and I'm sure there will be many more questions forthcoming.

Welcome to the forums don't forget to post some pictures after your done your chores :whip:.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Boy, talk about "food for thought." Thanks to all who took the time to post. This truly seems like THE place to come for gun information.

Went back to a local shop this afternoon and "held" the Ruger Mark III, S&W 22A and the Browning Buck Mark. The Buck Mark was something to fall in love with! All I need to do now is to convince the better half that the extra $ are worth it in exchange for my doing the yard work.

Here's the deal: Tell her that you want to get a S&W model 41, then compromise by getting the less expensive Buckmark, and tell her what a great deal it was. :thumbsup:

Or do what I do... just don't tell her about it.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    The Ruger SR22 is too tiny for me. I like something with a larger frame. At first, I was excited about it, but after holding one I'm not thrilled one bit.

I hear great things about the M&P22. If you go that route, you could pickup both the German made Walther as a trainer and the M&P 9mm for defense.

If you want a Target .22, go Browning Buckmark or Ruger 22/45.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I've shot both a lot, and bought the M&P. The Ruger's trigger is pretty bad in my opinion, and for me, the S&W felt more like my primary handgun (a Glock 19.) The only thing I don't like about the M&P is the rear sight and the fact that magazines are hard to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom