• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    To the Blackhawk shooters out there, how are the New Model Blackhawks? Any negatives- any pluses? What is the accuracy like?

I am throwing the idea of adding a cowboy style SAA revolver to my collection - maybe later this Fall. I am really considering a 45LC/45ACP convertable - mainly because I bullet cast, and pretty much have an endless supply of lead & 45ACP rounds (and also have everything already to load 45ACP -should I want to shoot it) I would primarly be shooting it in 45LC form,which I will cast and load for as well. I think that caliber would be ideal, because I can run the rounds full power without worrying about leading the bore (as opposed to some of the magnum calibers - which would need a lower velocity/loading to reduce leading).

Does Ruger make the Blackhawk in Stainless with the redwood logo grips? I HATE plastic & Ivory grips on a cowboy gun. Ive considered the Vaquero version - but they have fixed sights- I prefer and adjustable sight.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I haven't seen stainless with wood grips, but the blued with wood grips seem pretty common. I have a Blackhawk Bisley in .45lc, it is a very fine shooter.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Ruger is trying to fill a HUGE demand for their products. Inspect any gun before you buy. Their crazy production back log is creating all sorts of issues since they're trying to churn out guns as fast as possible. Most of them are coming out OK but there are more and more complaints of stupid issues with Rugers. Things like barrels that have no rifling or excessive tool marks still left on the gun.

BTW....Most Ruger .45 chamber throats are coming out .452 these days so keep that in mind too.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I like my convertible, but never have used the 45acp cylinder, once you start reloading it really isn't necessary. May be more usable for the .357 .38 9mm

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Does the 45ACP cylinder use moon clips, or have they machined the cylinder to head space on the mouth?

At least Ruger does back there product with a lifetime warranty - so IF there is an issue, Im sure they would take care of it.

I did see a very nice Ruger Blackhawk at Gander Mtn, but I think it was chambered for 357 mag/.38. It had a very nice stainless finish, and redwood logo grips, which I really liked. The gun is just going to be a plinker target gun.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    NM Blackhawk convertible here (.357 and 9mm, stainless with redwood logo grips, 6.5" barrel). Purchased slightly used, like new. My one and only SA gun as well. I like it a lot. The only thing to be prepared for is that the action and lockup on the convertibles is a lot sloppier than the non-convertibles. Not a big deal but something to keep in mind if you're used the tight ultra-smoothness of a SA non-convertible.

Stainless with redwood grip models:
    http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkDE/models.html
    The Bisley version looks slick.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Picked up a NM Blackhawk in 41mag a few weeks ago. Still havent completely dialed in the sights yet but from 25yards it makes one ragged hole. Fit and finish is excellent and mine was produced in May of this year.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I have a NM Super Blackhawk in .44 mag.
    It will hold up to anything I can feed it.
    It's pretty damn accurate but I'm sure the 10.5in barrel helps that.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Get one with no sights, and no transfer bar safety if you wanna go authentic. Look at Colt, or the Italian remakes. They're great. Near perfect copies with no extra modern BS.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a circa '70s NM Blackhawk in .45LC, blued, with wood grips and brass furniture. Belonged to my grandfather. I don't shoot it too often (large caliber, SARs aren't generally my thing), but when I have shot it it's been pretty accurate.

What I really like though is my grandfather's Interarms Virginian Dragoon, .44Mag, stainless, with wood grips. It is very similar in overall design to the NMB (I think Ruger copied parts of the design actually. Go figure.), although it has a 4-position hammer. Aside from being an absolute beauty of a handgun it feels like you're shooting a .22 in terms of recoil if you load it with .44 Special. It's great for letting rookie shooters get a feel for large-caliber handguns without hurting them with recoil. I have affectionately nicknamed it "The Family Handcannon".

dj_in_md

Aug 28, 2008
    Almost WV
    I have the Ruger SBH in 44 mag and it will digest anything I put through it. It has outstanding accuracy. If you want more of a original single action you may want to look at the Beretta Stampede made by Uberti. These are as close to the Colts as you can get but still have a transfer bar. Which ever way you go, make sure to look the gun over very good. There is a lot of sub standard stuff getting out these days.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Iown and have had numerous NM Rugers. If you speed cock like in fast draw or just cock the hammer very fast, some of them will lock up because of the transfer bar. Some gunsmithing will fix it but you don't have that problem with the old model Blackhawks. I always try to find an old model. I just follow the old rule of leaving an empty chamber under the hammer.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Thanks for all the opinions. Ill be honest - I am not really intrested in Ubertis, and being a handloader, Id prefer adjustable sights.

Id dont plan on draw or speed shooting with it either. I mainly will use it for paper, and steel plate and general plinking- basically a range shooter.

Ive also seen the Single Six - but I am not intrested in anymore rimfires - I have enough of them, and prefer a centerfire caliber. I have fired SAA revolvers (I own a 22 cal one as well) and do like them.

My 2nd choice if not a 45LC/45ACP would be a 44 mag with at least a 6 inch barrel, that I could legally use for hunting if decide to - but I already have a handgun for hunting.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    I have two NM Blackhawks one in 45 colt and the other in 30 carbine plus my single six. they are all great guns and fun to shoot. I have worked up some loads for the 45 that are way beyond plinking range.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I have two NM Blackhawks one in 45 colt and the other in 30 carbine plus my single six. they are all great guns and fun to shoot. I have worked up some loads for the 45 that are way beyond plinking range.

Understand that!

The main reason Im veering towards Ruger - is that they are supposed to be a stronger action. My load manuals list seperate data for Rugers, and T/C's in 45colt , because they are a stronger gun that can handle a hotter load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom