• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I was looking at that, the Mustang 22, the Dead Air Mask and one other from Griffin
    The mustang is 1/2 the weight, but aluminum, so can't just dump baffles in an ultrasonic to clean like the Oculus. The Mask is awesome, sounds really good, no FRP, I have one also. Only downside is the mount unscrewing from the tube on my AR22 with can tucked in the handguard, and no modular length. The Griffin Resistance is really fat, mediocre suppression and aluminum baffles. Griffin Optimus Micro is really heavy and expensive, but adds full power rifle capability.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The mustang is 1/2 the weight, but aluminum, so can't just dump baffles in an ultrasonic to clean like the Oculus. The Mask is awesome, sounds really good, no FRP, I have one also. Only downside is the mount unscrewing from the tube on my AR22 with can tucked in the handguard, and no modular length. The Griffin Resistance is really fat, mediocre suppression and aluminum baffles. Griffin Optimus Micro is really heavy and expensive, but adds full power rifle capability.
    Spectre II? mine is awesome. I use the DIP method for cleaning. I precipitate out the lead with phosphoric acid you can buy at a brew store. The DIP method creates lead acetate which is toxic and can be absorbed through the skin so be very careful. Once you add the acid the lead becomes solid again and can be disposed of easily.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Spectre II? mine is awesome. I use the DIP method for cleaning. I precipitate out the lead with phosphoric acid you can buy at a brew store. The DIP method creates lead acetate which is toxic and can be absorbed through the skin so be very careful. Once you add the acid the lead becomes solid again and can be disposed of easily.
    Spectre 2 was a good can, guess the sparrow was more popular and the new switchback basically replaced it. The lead acetate is why I don't use the dip. I use a 3L ultrasonic from amazon with baffles in a plastic bag filled with CLR cleaner, they come out spotless in 1hr.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Spectre 2 was a good can, guess the sparrow was more popular and the new switchback basically replaced it. The lead acetate is why I don't use the dip. I use a 3L ultrasonic from amazon with baffles in a plastic bag filled with CLR cleaner, they come out spotless in 1hr.
    Can you send a link to that ultrasonic? I'd prefer to not do the dip since it's so toxic. I've been using tomato sauce jars, once the lead is precipitated out I run it through a coffee filter then dispose of the lead.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Can you send a link to that ultrasonic? I'd prefer to not do the dip since it's so toxic. I've been using tomato sauce jars, once the lead is precipitated out I run it through a coffee filter then dispose of the lead.
    This is the one I have. You can buy big jugs of CLR from most big box stores. you can use pure CLR or a mix with water, fill a sandwich bag with baffles and CLR, then clean water in the ultrasonic tank, set for an hour at 150 degrees, dump the bag into a strainer and flush with hot water, and they will be spotless. there are a lot of different ones on amazon, this looks like mine, but mine has 1-99min time settings, this shows 1-30 min only, so I might have an older model. https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Commercial-Ultrasonic-Capacity-Solution/dp/B01HGNM5WE/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2TQDWM3498L2C&keywords=3l+ultrasonic&qid=1681480024&sprefix=3l+ultrrasonic,aps,118&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNlMxQ1ExT1pXWEZQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDM1NDAzMkZVMkVLTEhQM0hMSSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjExNTA2U09PUkRDUjBVVktVJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    This is the one I have. You can buy big jugs of CLR from most big box stores. you can use pure CLR or a mix with water, fill a sandwich bag with baffles and CLR, then clean water in the ultrasonic tank, set for an hour at 150 degrees, dump the bag into a strainer and flush with hot water, and they will be spotless. there are a lot of different ones on amazon, this looks like mine, but mine has 1-99min time settings, this shows 1-30 min only, so I might have an older model. https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Commercial-Ultrasonic-Capacity-Solution/dp/B01HGNM5WE/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2TQDWM3498L2C&keywords=3l+ultrasonic&qid=1681480024&sprefix=3l+ultrrasonic,aps,118&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNlMxQ1ExT1pXWEZQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDM1NDAzMkZVMkVLTEhQM0hMSSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjExNTA2U09PUkRDUjBVVktVJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
    Thanks

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula