Ruger Mini-14 normal capacity magazine prices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Looking at getting a mini-14 or mini-30 as they seem to be 50 state legal and I realize I move too darn much to have an AR anymore.

So, how have prices on these magazines been in the past 14 years?

They are nearly 100% more expensive than colt factory AR mags, and I was just wondering if that’s normal.

$35 is spendy for a magazine, but if that’s the price then that’s the price.

BTW I currently live in a free state, but am moving somewhere far worse than MD so I can protect your freedom, or something.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sweet guns, old school style. Nothing really functionally better than an AR.

They use Ruger only mags. No PMAGS.

Mags are about $30 to $40 each and you would want to invest in at least 6 upfront.

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Tapco and some other companies make aftermarket mags for them. In my experience it is usually best to stick to the Ruger 30 round steel mags. Newer mini 14s seem to take aftermarket mags but the older ones I had would only take the Ruger mags correctly. Might be better just to bite the bullet and buy factory Ruger upfront.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I would advise not to get aftermarket mags. It is true, Ruger mini-14 cliapzines are spendy. $35 for a 30 round mag sounds about right.

Mini-14s tend to be finicky about magazines. Some aftermarket mags turn it into a jam-o-matic. I have a "newer" post 2008 model, but it still is a diva when it comes to aftermarket mags. Total waste of money.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Tapco and some other companies make aftermarket mags for them. In my experience it is usually best to stick to the Ruger 30 round steel mags. Newer mini 14s seem to take aftermarket mags but the older ones I had would only take the Ruger mags correctly. Might be better just to bite the bullet and buy factory Ruger upfront.

Absolutely the case with my 80's vintage Mini. Most aftermarket mags I bought trying to save a buck, the reliability simply wasn't there. Factory has meant flawless. For me anyway, "sometimes" feeding just doesn't get it. Maybe the newer models are different...can't say.

hornbakerfella

Oct 6, 2016
    God's Country
    Agreed with only using Ruger Mags. I have a mini 14 from the 70s and that thing is picky, Ruger or nothing. I tried one after market mag and it wouldn’t have it

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Has anybody suggested that you only use Ruger mags yet?:D They cost $30-40...usually right in the middle, regardless of capacity. It's just a fact of life :shrug: ONE TIME, I found a 20 rounder at Trop for $19.99, but it was mislabeled. They sold it to me at that price anyway :cool:

Looking at getting a mini-14 or mini-30 as they seem to be 50 state legal and I realize I move too darn much to have an AR anymore.

So, how have prices on these magazines been in the past 14 years?

They are nearly 100% more expensive than colt factory AR mags, and I was just wondering if that’s normal.

$35 is spendy for a magazine, but if that’s the price then that’s the price.

BTW I currently live in a free state, but am moving somewhere far worse than MD so I can protect your freedom, or something.

Get a Fightlite SCR. Takes standard AR mags and is 50 state legal.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Tapco gen 2 work better than factory mags. $20 each.

The only aftermarket mag I've ever gotten to work flawlessly in my mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom