Ruger Mark III: Hardchroming and trigger work.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwhaley

Oct 20, 2008
    Wondering if anyone has had any experience with a gunsmith in MD (Hopefully, MoCo to Central MD, currently in Bethesda) who has worked on your Mark II or III or 22/45.

At some point I'd like to have this gun hardchromed. Anyone worked with a 'smith in MD on this?

In the nearer future, I was wondering who I could take it to who'd have some experience stoning/smoothing out the trigger components. I'm not so much interested in a lighter pull as I am smoothing out the factory components.

Thanks in advance.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I took my Mark III 22/45 and put a Volquartzen kit in it from Midway. I think it was $80. Smoothed and lightened the trigger quite a bit. Very easy to do and cheaper than trigger work by a smith. If you don't want the whole kit, just the Volquartzen target hammer will help with the crispness of the trigger tremendously, and they're around $35. I've put the one for the 10/22 in several of my rifles.

Hope this helps.

MH

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Maryland Hunter makes a good suggestion. The factory Ruger parts are not fitted very tightly and you get a lot of creep from loose pins/bushing for the hammer etc.

The Volquartsen set is nice, and you get an overtravel stop on the trigger to boot.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Maryland Hunter makes a good suggestion. The factory Ruger parts are not fitted very tightly and you get a lot of creep from loose pins/bushing for the hammer etc.

The Volquartsen set is nice, and you get an overtravel stop on the trigger to boot.

I would also recommend you fiddle around to find out exactly what you want in your pistol before getting it hard chromed.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I took my Mark III 22/45 and put a Volquartzen kit in it from Midway. I think it was $80. Smoothed and lightened the trigger quite a bit. Very easy to do and cheaper than trigger work by a smith. If you don't want the whole kit, just the Volquartzen target hammer will help with the crispness of the trigger tremendously, and they're around $35. I've put the one for the 10/22 in several of my rifles.

Hope this helps.

MH

+1 for the volquartzen trigger kit. I put one in a Mark III Hunter. I give everyone that shoots it a warning that it now has a very light trigger:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom