• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    About 2 years ago I bought myself a Ruger LCP. It was pretty much an impulse buy as I thought it was a really cool design. It's turned out to be a fun little pistol to shoot; easy to, umm, carry in a pocket or brief case; and surprisingly accurate for such a small pistol.

But lately, I've been thinking about getting something a little bigger and, with the potential of legal CCW in MD looking more promising, I decided to look more seriously. I started looking at small frame revolvers, Glock 26, S&W M&P 9c, etc. I also looked at the Ruger LC9. No matter what I looked at I kept going back to the Ruger LC9. I'm sure my liking the LCP had a lot to do with that as the designs are quite similar. Plus, I really like the thinness of it and how it felt in my hand. It was a natural pointer for me.

I ended up jumping on the LC9 after browning guy sent me a text from the Gun Shop in Essex saying that they had gotten one in without the laser (which I hate). I picked it up a week or so ago and just got the chance to shoot it this morning at Freestate. Here it is...

RugerLC9WEB.jpg

I'm sure most of you know the LC9 is a single stack, 7+1 capacity configuration with a left-side safety switch (I'm a lefty so I wish it were on the right side of the gun, but oh well). It's DA only with a fairly long trigger pull. However, while I've read some conflicting reviews, I have to say that the trigger on mine is very smooth and breaks cleanly after the longish pull. I don't have especially large hands so I like how it feels in my hand. I can get a good single hand grip on it and two-handed isn't awkward like it might be for someone with larger hands.

I don't shoot pistols as much as I should, so I knew I was going to be a little rusty. It took me a box or so to start getting used to the long DA trigger pull, but after that I started getting some decent groups. Here's a string of 25 rounds I sent downrange, fairly rapid fire, at the head of a standard silhouette target at 10 yards (browning guy accused me later of practicing head kill shots for zombies - I, of course, deny it). Anyway, for a gun that was essentially out of the box, and with a long trigger pull, I was pretty pleased that all but three hit the target. With more practice I'm sure I could tighten up the group. And certainly, had I been aiming at center mass all 25 of the shots would have hit vital stuff. These were American Eagle 124 grain hard balls.

Target1.jpg

Then I shot a string of 5 Corbon DPX 9mm +P 115 grain bullets at center mass of the standard silhouette. Incidentally, Ruger states that the LC9 can handle +P ammunition but that you really shouldn't use it. I haven't decided on what I want to use as "defense" ammunition and did have a partial box of the Corbon, so I tried it. Any suggestions on a good defensive ammo? Anyway, this was point & shoot rapid fire (probably all 5 rounds in 3 seconds). Not bad for a first practice session with the gun.

Target2.jpg

Finally, I ordered an IWB holster in anticipation for the future. I had read some good things about the DeSantis Sof-Tuck holster and decided to get one. Not bad at all. I prefer small-of-the-back carry and the Sof-Tuck comes with an allen wrench so you can move the position of the clip for either strong side, cross draw, or s-o-b carry.

DeSantisHolster.jpg

So, all in all, I really like it so far. Put 100 rounds through it today without a single hiccup of any sort. Very smooth, albeit long, trigger pull; a good feeling natural pointer for me, decent 3-dot sights, and I'm pleased with the accuracy at this point. I'm sure it was my grip that pushed the shots to the right a bit, but practice can fix that. I'm looking forward to shooting it more.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Nice write up. I've only handled the LC9 so far at my LGS. I really like the slim profile and ergonomics. I prefer no manual safety and hope that Ruger releases a version without it. I'm also left handed.

Assuming it's reliable in the LC9, my choice for SD ammo would be Hornady Critical Defense.

In your last photo, isn't the safety exposed? That could be a problem.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Nice write up. Good luck with your new gun! I hope you never need to use it.

I have a PF-9 (which is similar is size and operation) and I found that it was VERY punishing on my hand to shoot... After 50 rounds of the Kel-tec, an M&P feels like a Rolls Royce. That said, I can deal with it for the amount of firepower you get in such a small package. How do you find the LC9 in that regard?

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Nice write up. Good luck with your new gun! I hope you never need to use it.

I have a PF-9 (which is similar is size and operation) and I found that it was VERY punishing on my hand to shoot... After 50 rounds of the Kel-tec, an M&P feels like a Rolls Royce. That said, I can deal with it for the amount of firepower you get in such a small package. How do you find the LC9 in that regard?

You know, I really didn't notice the recoil that much. But then I shoot shotguns all weekend. :rolleyes: In all seriousness, I was trying to concentrate on getting used to the trigger pull, and where it was gonna break, without flinching and jerking the gun down (and I've always had a bit of a problem with pushing the shots to the right). So I didn't notice the recoil. I expect that on double or triple taps (which I wasn't doing today) the recoil would be more noticeable as you were trying to keep the muzzle flip to a minimum for the next shot.

Truth be told, I think the LCP bucks way more than the LC9. In fact, I think that most .380's hurt when you shoot them. I always giggle when I see the movie Men in Black. Remember the part where Agent K hands Agent J the gun, with two fingers, called "The Cricket" - and it turns out to be a real cannon? The LCP is the Cricket! :lol2:

But, all in all, I thought the LC9's recoil was quite manageable - even more so when you consider that this isn't meant to be a competition gun. It's a SHTF gun for when you and your significant other are trying to enjoy a night at the opera and the social company takes a turn south.

brettwp

Dec 22, 2009
    North East, MD
    Like many of us, I too have the LCP. Wondering how you would compare the two triggers? You seem to be saying that the trigger pull is longer, but what else?

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I own the LC9. The manual safety is really nothing at all to worry about , if you do not want to use it. It is much harder to engage it than release it. This is by design. Actually, it is almost difficult to engage, unless you put the pressure in the correct spot. I like the safety. Have no fear at all of clicking it on accidentally if you choose not to use it.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Like many of us, I too have the LCP. Wondering how you would compare the two triggers? You seem to be saying that the trigger pull is longer, but what else?

I think that the triggers are quite similar. In fact, it wouldnt surprise me if the design was the same. The LC9's trigger pull is longer, I expect, because the gun is about twice the physical size of the LCP. However, on my two pistols I think that the LC9's trigger is more refined - meaning the trigger pull is long but it is quite a bit smoother and has a more crisp break at the end of the pull.

Hope this answers your question.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    They are cool guns. My preference is for one without a manual safety, magazine disconnect, or obnoxious LCI. But I shot the LC9 and I admit even with those things (and I realize some people like them, this is just for ME) I sort of liked it.

Very smooth, albeit long, trigger pull;

This. I was surprised how smooth that trigger was on a gun at this price point. I was impressed.

They are definitely fine little guns, and definitely a great value. Hope you enjoy it!

I also own an LCP and like it.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    The trigger on the Kel-Tec breaks sooner. I like it much better than the LC9 trigger (and I own the LC9). I almost went with the Kel-Tec, but the Rugers seem to have better reliability out of the box, and I wanted a safety. You really don't need one on either, though.

I put about 150 rounds through my LC9 in one session and it tore a chunk of skin out of my trigger finger (blister). It's not a range gun, for sure. Weighs a bit more than the Kel-Tec, which does make for a bit less recoil, and you have more room for your finger between the trigger and trigger guard.

If I were ever to have to fire the thing in SD outside of 3 to 7 yards, I'd want another gun, but I'd be playing Russian roulette with Iowa SD laws at more than those distances, anyway. I see the Ruger as a reliable, powerful, pocketable "take almost anywhere" gun that is extremely safe from accidental discharges. The Ruger also has a keyed internal safety for when you store it. I know a lot of people hate those, but seeing as I live much of the year outside of the US, and it's in storage, I like the idea of disengaging the trigger so kids can't use it. It's kept in a Stack-on style lock box, which isn't like a safe, but the extra internal safety does make me feel better.

I'd rather have a Glock 19 or even a 26... or even my 1911 Bobtail, but carrying those has its trade-offs. I wanted something I could just throw in my pocket easily (kept in a thin pocket holster, of course), it works very well for that purpose. 8 rounds of 9mm will ruin anyone's day.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    :thumbsup: Good write up.

I got a Glock 26 in the recent past, and I like it a lot. It is still not easy to conceal in all clothing. I like my LCP, but like you, want something with a little more punch. I think I'm going to have to take a look at one of these.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    :thumbsup: Good write up.

I got a Glock 26 in the recent past, and I like it a lot. It is still not easy to conceal in all clothing. I like my LCP, but like you, want something with a little more punch. I think I'm going to have to take a look at one of these.

Well, I know how you could shoot one. :rolleyes:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Well, I know how you could shoot one. :rolleyes:

:D One of these days we gotta get out again. I will be renovating my basement for the next couple of weeks. :rolleyes: I got a generous invitation to the machine gun shoot at AGC this weekend I had to turn down. I'll get in touch with you early this month.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I have a Ruger SR9 and, aside from the LCI, am a big fan of it. I've been considering either getting an SR9C or an LC9 to compliment that as a carry piece. I like that my SR9 magazines are interchangeable with the SR9C, but the LC9 is more compact. I'm torn.

Knowing my luck, I'll end up with both eventually....

walstib

Jul 4, 2010
    havre de grace
    lc9 vs pf9

:thumbsup: good write up i'd like to try one i tried to shoot a buddys pf9 but could not get my trigger finger back far enough to fire with out turning the gun in my hand not a stable grip and turned off
    thank you

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I have one. I don't care much for it to be honest. It's dependable as far as cycling and the recoil isn't too bad, but for me there's not much more I like about it. I despise the trigger, and I'm a revolver guy too. I have an SR9c that I really like (now that I fixed the front sight so it doesn't walk out and fall off every 5-8 rounds). That, and the tried and true G27 will probably stay my preferred carry pistols. Just my preferences. Everybody likes different things and there's nothing wrong with that!

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Zoo is right.... if you are interested in an LC9, the key thing to consider (and think long and hard about) is the trigger. As an owner of one, I agree that it's sort of a love/hate relationship because of the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom