• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fiveloaves

Sep 9, 2013
    Montgomery County
    22/45 The horror, the horror
    Sweetest 22 pistol I ever owned, until I took it apart for cleaning and could not put it back together.
    The dealer could not put it back.
    Sent it to Ruger and they put it back.
    The box came back from Ruger with a set of disassembly instructions, like we had not followed the steps.
    Ended up selling it with little regret.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Get the Mark IV. It is a breakdown instead of the orignal Marks unbelieveably hard take down. These are perhaps the dirtiest firearms of all time. Not sure if the Mark IVs have gone through the handgun permit committee yet! It will be worth the wait. Will have a couple Mark III's included a lite for sale when they do.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Get the Mark IV. It is a breakdown instead of the orignal Marks unbelieveably hard take down. These are perhaps the dirtiest firearms of all time. Not sure if the Mark IVs have gone through the handgun permit committee yet! It will be worth the wait. Will have a couple Mark III's included a lite for sale when they do.

When is it going to be on the roster?

jwh2000

Jul 1, 2013
    Delaware
    The Mark 4's are available in DE. The 22/45 is not that hard to disassemble and if you install the bushing it's a piece of cake to take apart.

John

I handled a Mark IV a week ago, and I have one issue: the grip angle. Other than that, the Mark IV is damn nice. That was one of the first questions I asked the Ruger rep. The 1911 grip angle suits my hand the best, and the 22/45 is what fit the best.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    22/45 The horror, the horror
    Sweetest 22 pistol I ever owned, until I took it apart for cleaning and could not put it back together.
    The dealer could not put it back.
    Sent it to Ruger and they put it back.
    The box came back from Ruger with a set of disassembly instructions, like we had not followed the steps.
    Ended up selling it with little regret.

I found that one to be like one of those blacksmith's puzzles. Difficult to figure out but easy once you did it a few tomes. Mine seemed impossible to get apart and then somehow harder to put back together. I actually bought a special plastic deadblow hammer to get the one pin out, and you had to do a secret dance to get the spring lined up right on reassembly. Still, once I got it, it wasn't too bad. But thinking about it, its been over two years since I shot/cleaned it. I will probably have to watch the video again.....

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    My only complaint about the new Mark IV is the cost. Depending on the model, it costs $100-$130 more than the Mark III models. I stopped at Green Top on 10/31/16 on my way back from a wedding in Georgia, and they were discounting the MARKII-MARKIII models 15%-20%. They had a few of the Mark IV models at the $500 plus price range. Not sure the extra price justifies the ease of cleaning, especially if a Speed Strip Kit from Majestic is installed on the MarkII or Mark III.

Engage Armament

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 30, 2010
    Rockville, MD
    I definitely think the MK IV is where its at. It will be a bit before it hits the roster though. We do have a green 22/45 Lite in stock though.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I found that one to be like one of those blacksmith's puzzles. Difficult to figure out but easy once you did it a few tomes. Mine seemed impossible to get apart and then somehow harder to put back together. I actually bought a special plastic deadblow hammer to get the one pin out, and you had to do a secret dance to get the spring lined up right on reassembly. Still, once I got it, it wasn't too bad. But thinking about it, its been over two years since I shot/cleaned it. I will probably have to watch the video again.....
    There's an inexpensive part or two from TandemKross that you can substitute in the 22/45 that simplifies future takedowns and reassemblies. Like you, I haven't done it in a couple of years and would need to check the 22/45 parts on their website, but it was night and day after the change. Before the parts upgrade, I remember my first reassembly took 3-4 profanity laced hours. I'm of course much politer on the internet.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    With my Ruger .22 pistols, because they are in fact a PITA to reassemble, I tend to squirt everything down with solvent after shooting to keep the gunk in check. Clean what you can with swabs, and maybe take it apart once a year. I've never had a problem using this routine, and I probably put upwards of 4-5K through each over the course of the year.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

The Ruger 22/45 and the rest of their line of 22's really aren't that hard to disassemble and reassemble. Read the manual and pay attention to what you are doing.

The new mark IV is easier but the price is far to high for the convenience.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I never understood why folks said the mark 1 - 3 are hard to disassemble/reassemble. I don't have an engineering degree, but it was fairly straightforward.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    No engineering degree required, but a rubber mallet was needed for my 22/45. Considering it was one of the first few handguns I bought and the only one whose breakdown required me to pound on it, with similar force to put it back together, this was disconcerting to me. I was afraid I would break it, so questioning whether I was doing it right. It was that tight (and not for the OOC thread). Maybe they loosen up over repeated disassemblies, and maybe I should have bought used. After using an aftermarket part or two, I no longer needed the rubber mallet.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I definitely think the MK IV is where its at. It will be a bit before it hits the roster though. We do have a green 22/45 Lite in stock though.
    Could you hold it for me? I can't get by there until Saturday. Not a big fan of greens, but color isn't much of a concern since I think I'm going to have you cerakote it for me anyway

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Walton Feep

Sep 29, 2012
    I have a Mark III Hunter for Bullseye and a 22/45 Lite for Steel Challenge. As others have noted, you learn how to take it apart and put it back together. But the effort does limit the number of times I clean mine. The Mark IV certainly looks like an improvement in that regard but not enough to make me want to replace what I have. I don't see any 22/45 models on their site. If they aren't going to make it anymore, I am definitely holding on to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom