• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Can anyone who owns one comment on how they like it compared to a regular 10/22? Is it worth the extra cost?

Does anyone know where they have one in stock (stainless or blued barrel)? I live in Howard County. Thanks.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    I like the 10/22 tactical model too, but I'm not sure if you're giving up accuracy because the shorter barrel.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have two. One a factory target and the other a clone (recently bought used.) Is it worth it? Depends on what you want to do with it. If you're a 'modder', no. The T has a slightly better trigger but its a fairly easy DIY to work on the trigger pull on these. If not a DIY'er then you can buy a new aftermarket sear kit cheap. The other difference is the barrel. By most accounts the Ts are pretty good barrels but the chambering still looser than an aftermarket barrel w/ bentz chamber. It can be shortened slightly and rechambered but its simpler and getting close to the cost of just getting a KIDD/etc barrel or something and selling the T barrel.

Barrel length makes almost no diff to accuracy. Heavier barrels tend to be more accurate (stiffer, less harmonics, don't heat up as fast.)

Lots of things you can do to improve either. So if you like the look of the hammer forged barrel and it's going to be 'good enough' then get a T. If you want the ultimate in accuracy and are going to mod everything but the receiver, skip it and buy the cheapest receiver to start with.

Got the new (used) T clone out to the range for the first time this weekend (MSAR.) Didn't do too shabby;) Below is a typ target from 50yds. Will shoot dime sized groups. MSAR really doesn't have a real 'bench' to benchrest it so Im propping it across my pistol bag w/ no good rear support. A proper bench setup or prone w/ a bipod would be a little better.

The stainless is the T clone. Someone chopped 1/2" off the barrel, threaded it, and then took the cut off piece and made a matching thread protector. Clever IMO. When its on it hard to tell its even threaded.

Attachments

• IMAG1210_50yd.jpg
      IMAG1210_50yd.jpg
      25.3 KB · Views: 423
    • IMAG1213.jpg
      IMAG1213.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 424

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Thanks for your input. I wouldn't mind buying a receiver and building the rest of the rifle from aftermarket parts. I'm just not too sure about bedding piece (if that's necessary on a 22lr). Great shooting too btw. I have a CZ455 varmint bolt that's accurate, but I've only shot it indoors from 25 yds.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have a 10/22 target tactical (heavy blued barrel) and love it. Haven't modded it except for the bolt release and a scope. I'm a relatively new shooter, but from a bench rest, I can hit a dime at 50 yards with CCI standard.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    Ammo?

Fidelity,

What kind of accuracy are you getting?

I shot a buddy of mine's tactical target this weekend with 7 different types of ammo:

Aguila Eley Primed Rifle Match
    Norma Tac 22
    CCI Standard
    CCI Mini Mags
    Federal Bulk
    American Eagle
    Winchester Bulk

All 5-shot groups at 25 yards. I don't have his target sheet, but the Aguila, Norma, CCI Standard and American Eagle all grouped under 0.5". CCI Mini mag was a little bit wider, around 0.75", and the Federal and Winchester bulk was 0.85 - 0.95" or thereabouts.

The barrel might need more breaking in as we shot new it after cleaning and lubing it.

This mirrors the accuracy in my own Ruger 22/45 Lite and my 10/22 with a Green Mountain barrel, the Aguila is the best in both followed very very closely by Norma Tac-22 and CCI Standard. They're my 3 go-to ammo types. I often get under 0.5" at 50 yards with the 10/22 and I'm no great shooter.

Cheers,

Scribe556

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I have two. One a factory target and the other a clone (recently bought used.) Is it worth it? Depends on what you want to do with it. If you're a 'modder', no. The T has a slightly better trigger but its a fairly easy DIY to work on the trigger pull on these. If not a DIY'er then you can buy a new aftermarket sear kit cheap. The other difference is the barrel. By most accounts the Ts are pretty good barrels but the chambering still looser than an aftermarket barrel w/ bentz chamber. It can be shortened slightly and rechambered but its simpler and getting close to the cost of just getting a KIDD/etc barrel or something and selling the T barrel.

Barrel length makes almost no diff to accuracy. Heavier barrels tend to be more accurate (stiffer, less harmonics, don't heat up as fast.)

Lots of things you can do to improve either. So if you like the look of the hammer forged barrel and it's going to be 'good enough' then get a T. If you want the ultimate in accuracy and are going to mod everything but the receiver, skip it and buy the cheapest receiver to start with.

Got the new (used) T clone out to the range for the first time this weekend (MSAR.) Didn't do too shabby;) Below is a typ target from 50yds. Will shoot dime sized groups. MSAR really doesn't have a real 'bench' to benchrest it so Im propping it across my pistol bag w/ no good rear support. A proper bench setup or prone w/ a bipod would be a little better.

The stainless is the T clone. Someone chopped 1/2" off the barrel, threaded it, and then took the cut off piece and made a matching thread protector. Clever IMO. When its on it hard to tell its even threaded.

Sweet! :party29:

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    I have a 10/22 target tactical (heavy blued barrel) and love it. Haven't modded it except for the bolt release and a scope. I'm a relatively new shooter, but from a bench rest, I can hit a dime at 50 yards with CCI standard.

Nice.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Fidelity,

What kind of accuracy are you getting?

I shot a buddy of mine's tactical target this weekend with 7 different types of ammo:

Aguila Eley Primed Rifle Match
    Norma Tac 22
    CCI Standard
    CCI Mini Mags
    Federal Bulk
    American Eagle
    Winchester Bulk

All 5-shot groups at 25 yards. I don't have his target sheet, but the Aguila, Norma, CCI Standard and American Eagle all grouped under 0.5". CCI Mini mag was a little bit wider, around 0.75", and the Federal and Winchester bulk was 0.85 - 0.95" or thereabouts.

The barrel might need more breaking in as we shot new it after cleaning and lubing it.

This mirrors the accuracy in my own Ruger 22/45 Lite and my 10/22 with a Green Mountain barrel, the Aguila is the best in both followed very very closely by Norma Tac-22 and CCI Standard. They're my 3 go-to ammo types. I often get under 0.5" at 50 yards with the 10/22 and I'm no great shooter.

Cheers,

Scribe556

A pic from the first time I shot it are here ... some fliers while sighting in ...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3257522&postcount=4

Second time was even tighter with the same ammo - but didn't take the time to take pics. Have only been shooting at 50 yards and haven't tried at 100 yards. It's all rifle. I'm sure someone with some skill would do better.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    What is your definition of "fantastic accuracy"? I have a rifle with a Volquartsen Carbon Fiber THM barrel that does 1/4" at 50 yards. I usually find it is more the shooter than the rifle. I have to do my part if I want it to shoot that well.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I looked at the target tactical the other day at x ring supply. I almost left with it and may return to get it. Very nice looking rifle.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Get it. Will make you feel like a boss.

My wife went to the range with me for the first time in September. I shot three touching rounds in the center of the bulls at 50 yards when demonstrating the rifle to her. She thought that it was typical shooting for me, and I maintained a nonplussed expression. I have other accurate rifles (e.g. a heavy barreled Remington 700 in 308 and an AR-15), but the 10/22 target tactical is on my keeper list for straight out fun and making my wife think that I'm some sort of firearms stud.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    What is your definition of "fantastic accuracy"? I have a rifle with a Volquartsen Carbon Fiber THM barrel that does 1/4" at 50 yards. I usually find it is more the shooter than the rifle. I have to do my part if I want it to shoot that well.

check the vids, and i have shot a buddies 10/22 with this barrel & Kidd trigger kit put 5 rounds in nearly the same ragged hole at 50 yds. with the right scope you could hit flies.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    Get it. Will make you feel like a boss.

My wife went to the range with me for the first time in September. I shot three touching rounds in the center of the bulls at 50 yards when demonstrating the rifle to her. She thought that it was typical shooting for me, and I maintained a nonplussed expression. I have other accurate rifles (e.g. a heavy barreled Remington 700 in 308 and an AR-15), but the 10/22 target tactical is on my keeper list for straight out fun and making my wife think that I'm some sort of firearms stud.
    :thumbsup:

max111

MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2014
    somd

HI, heading out tomorrow to check out both rifles. Located a "10/22 Tactical" with Hogue stock, bipod at local Walmart. Is that the one you purchased? Im looking at the Ruger site and they offer a 10/22 Target in laminated wood also, and its a coin flip at this point. Appreciate any input good or bad on your purchase, thanks

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yes, the first one with Hogue stock sounds like mine. Ruger makes it confusing because they have another "tactical" model, but this one that you don't want lacks a Hogue stock. The one that you're interested is Ruger model #1230 ( http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Tactical/specSheets/1230.html ), and vendors often call the Target Tactical. When you can find it online, internet pricing is usually $430 and higher not including shipping. Locally, $500 or less would seem fair. Good luck.

Btw, like many Ruger products this year, look for the commentator 50th year anniversary roll mark on the rifle.

HK1911

Jan 23, 2014
    MD
    HI, heading out tomorrow to check out both rifles. Located a "10/22 Tactical" with Hogue stock, bipod at local Walmart. Is that the one you purchased? Im looking at the Ruger site and they offer a 10/22 Target in laminated wood also, and its a coin flip at this point. Appreciate any input good or bad on your purchase, thanks

If you decide not to get the tactical model, can you pm me which Wal-Mart has it? I've decided on the tactical model, and my local IP doesn't have it. Thnx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom