• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    I am a climber and have all the gear. Have an extra harness and helmet too. Drop me a line and we can hit some rock up at Harpers Ferry. Some of the mellow slab climbs are fairly easy and fun and a perfect way to get back into it. Got a shooting range dozed in my woods too! So bring some hardware and we will do some blasting after the climb! Acquired my gear all over the place over the years. REI mostly for the most recent stuff. Just shop online!

Chris

Cyclone

Jr. Zombie Killer
    Jan 25, 2010
    Rosedale, MD
    if you want local, Rock State Park or Bel Air Park in Route 1. I used to do it a lot in Seneca Rocks and still have all my equipment.

JLaff

Dec 12, 2012
    Maryland
    I am a climber and have all the gear. Have an extra harness and helmet too. Drop me a line and we can hit some rock up at Harpers Ferry. Some of the mellow slab climbs are fairly easy and fun and a perfect way to get back into it. Got a shooting range dozed in my woods too! So bring some hardware and we will do some blasting after the climb! Acquired my gear all over the place over the years. REI mostly for the most recent stuff. Just shop online!

Chris

Is this an open invite? I have my own harnesses but no rope.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    It is indeed an open invite! Since you have a harness already, you won't need to borrow one my spares and you will be all set. How about shoes? A or B slab will be doable in some sneakers actually.

Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    if you want local, Rock State Park or Bel Air Park in Route 1. I used to do it a lot in Seneca Rocks and still have all my equipment.

I watched some of the ROTC go off the King and Queen Seat in HC. First time I ever seen anything like that . And by go off I don't mean jump !:D Not sure of the terminology.
    I know I wanted to play, but after 20 feet down the rope and hanging upside down I am sure someone would have to save my heavy smoking fat ass !:lol2::lol2:

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    If anyone wants to go to Rocks, let me know. I'm up there quite frequently with my 8 year old daughter. Yep, at 8 she's a rappelling and climbing machine :party29:

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    any of you guys old enough to remember the clipper city rock gym in the old train house that burned down?

loved that place.

Yeah I remember that place. It was huge! The ET gyms only now are rivaling it in size. It really was sad to lose that place. I likes the locomotive crane in the middle of it. RIP to the firefighters who perished in that fire.

Open invite to those who want to meet in Yosemite and swap leads. PM and I'll tell you the details.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    The firefighter was Eric Schaefer. I will never forget that night as long as I live. There is a memorial to him on Clippermill right where the old building collapsed.
    RIP FF Schaefer.

I used to stop in but never climbed there. It looked really cool.

Last edited:

Crxflippr

Foolish Mortal
    Oct 23, 2008
    Frederick
    I don't climb much, but I get most of my gear from The Trail House, in Frederick. Good people and they help put on climbing clinics and wilderness medicine courses.

Climbing ropes are high stretch (used to be called dynamic), to absorb shock loads and falls. Rescue ropes are low stretch (used to be called static), and work better for hauling systems, and situations where a log of elongation would be undesirable.

Still called dynamic and static.

JLaff

Dec 12, 2012
    Maryland
    It is indeed an open invite! Since you have a harness already, you won't need to borrow one my spares and you will be all set. How about shoes? A or B slab will be doable in some sneakers actually.

Shoes are the last piece of gear I wanna get.

Ultimate Member
    Hey any one here in to rock climbing, repealing, ect. Was in to it in high school sold all my stuff because I needed the cash. Now looking to do It again for personal and fire department. Wanted to see how many people here were in to it and see were yall get your gear.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a climber and I like doing first ascents.

see http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Maryland/

for routes.

gyms are too expensive. But getting out is nice. I do a lot of top rope and look for sport tracks.

I buy a lot of stuff from REI or order it online from specialty places.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    i know its an old thread just wandered if any ones been out due to the nice weather

I haven't been out yet. My climbing daughter has been playing lacrosse every Saturday and Sunday since February. Since lacrosse is my favorite sport and I help coach, I don't mind putting off the climbing until June

fogman

Resurrecting an old thread. Got my 8 year old son into climbing. My wife and I got into top roping about 12 years ago but haven't been in 10. My son's b-day is coming up so we were looking for ideas for his party, figured we would see if he wanted to do a party at Earth Treks. We took him to their gym in Timonium a few weeks ago and after a few timid tries he took to it. Got him a used set of shoes then a harness last weekend and went out to Woodstock Rock. We couldn't get him off the wall. He finally got so tired we had to make him quit.
    We're looking for other places to climb in the area. We'll probably hit Rocks State Park and Annapolis Rocks. Anyone have a favorite spot in central Maryland?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom