• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • powder in the air

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
    Jun 18, 2011
    smithsburg
    Hey any one here in to rock climbing, repealing, ect. Was in to it in high school sold all my stuff because I needed the cash. Now looking to do It again for personal and fire department. Wanted to see how many people here were in to it and see were yall get your gear.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    My wife and I were indoor wall climbing for a while at earth treks in Columbia. We lovedit but no longer have the time to dedicate. That's where we bought our stipuff but I'm not sure they will have what your looking for.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    REI has a few spots with Timonium, which is probably nearest to you, and Columbia, EarthTreks is in both of those spots as well and you also have Eastern Mountain Sports and Hudson Trail Outfitters in Annapolis.

Scot

Jun 27, 2012
    Sykesville
    Earth Treks has a great selection and 3 locations; Timonium, Columbia, and Rockville. You will get great service and advice, climbing is all we do! If you haven't guessed I work there. We have great pricing and everything you need to restart an old habit.

clymber

Feb 1, 2013
    Avid climber for years (rock, ice, alpine...anything with an 'altitude'). Got a lot of stuff from EMS, Mountain Gear and REI. New to Maryland, so still looking for good places to shop/climb. Definitely gonna check out Earth Treks.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I saw people climb the cliffs at Great Falls (Park) in Va. for what it's worth. Tie-ins already in the rock.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Yup. Tend to do a lot of it. It turned into work for a while. High angle rescue is part of the job description now. The only overlap of rec. climbing and rescue is fundamentals like knots. I guess z drag systems are like a minimal rope haul setups. PM if you want to get out. I'm at the gym only to shake off the winter rust. Mid March, it is outside only. Scot, I guess i'll wear the Molon Labe shirt for the next gym session. All three gyms are in neighborhoods that that typically will not go over well.

capman98

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Mt. Airy maryland
    I climbed indoor at Earth treks Rockville for years. My dad and step mom still climb there a few times a week. For out door stuff we mainly do Sugarloaf because it is so close. But great falls is good too. I have never been to Seneca but Dad goes all the time. We are training right now for the Grand Teton in july/august, should be fun. We Did Mt. Rainer about 5 years ago. That was one of the best experiences of my life. For equipment, REI is really your best bet fir options and cost. But if you know what exactly you are looking for and do not need to put your hands on it first, the internet is your friend. :D

MessedUpMike

Jan 29, 2011
    I've got my Rope Rescue Tech cert, but sold me personal gear off for gun money a couple of years ago. I used a Yates Harness, Bluewater ropes, and all kinds of 'biners. I was into it mostly for cave rescue, and now that the majority of caves are either closed down, or such a pain in the ass to get into I ventured elsewhere.
    The biggest difference between "fun" climbing, and rescue work is the rope. Climbing ropes are high stretch (used to be called dynamic), to absorb shock loads and falls. Rescue ropes are low stretch (used to be called static), and work better for hauling systems, and situations where a log of elongation would be undesirable.

hollyb1

Oct 11, 2012
    Halethorpe
    We did rappelling in scouts and some friends got me into Earth Trek's top roping. They wouldnt let me use my old scout figure-8 had to buy an ATC.

CorpsmanUp

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 19, 2010
    St Mary's County
    I used to live in San Diego. Did a lot of bouldering and would run up to Joshua Tree every once and a while.

Still have my rack. Almost a complete rack for leading and solo climbing.

Back in the day it was expensive to get into. Probably even more now.

powder in the air

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
    Jun 18, 2011
    smithsburg
    From ropeandrescue.com to buy every thing I had 4 years ago its about 1500. And that's the cheapest prices everything on each website mentioned in above post. See were my tax money is going. Haven't checked with the firestorw guy ill have to give him a call.

JLaff

Dec 12, 2012
    Maryland
    There is a place just North of Waynesboro I've gone to a few times. Its public land a lot of folks go there, real easy to get to and a good mix of climbs.

powder in the air

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
    Jun 18, 2011
    smithsburg
    There is a place just North of Waynesboro I've gone to a few times. Its public land a lot of folks go there, real easy to get to and a good mix of climbs.

The only ones I know of are blackrock, annapolis rock, and high rock am I missing one

sigdad

Jan 5, 2011
    Anne Arundel
    I'd love to hear about places I could take my 13 yr old son for some rappelling classes. He did it in the Army Cadets last summer and would love to do it again...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I got all my gear at REI in Timonium. I go with the kids when I can to Earth Treks and any real rocks I can climb/rappel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom