• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    For pics of the gun, reference my thread here: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=137928

Took this to the range yesterday. Due to my total inability to find any commercial ammo, I cast some 93gr .311 Lee RN bullets from WW lead and loaded them up with a variety of powder/loads. I did not size the bullets.

My first couple loads used Titegroup, one set at 4.0gr and one at 4.5gr. My Lyman manual lists a max load of 5.0 gr of Titegroup. These shot ok, pretty smoky (normal for titegroup) and grouped around 2-3" at 7yds.

I then shot my loads using H110, which I found info for in my Hornady 9th edition.

The 10gr H110 loads shot very nice, very soft with a bit of muzzle flash. Groupings started to tighten up, usually around 2" or better at 7yds.

11gr of H110 grouped even nicer, around 1" at 7yds. Muzzle flash getting brighter now, recoil very manageable due to the low weight of the bullet.

12gr of H110 was the highest load i used and it grouped the best. The gun is getting VERY loud and is a flamethrower, recoil is still light. Gave me under an inch (basically one ragged hole) at 7yds.

The hornady manual lists some higher loads than this, as high as 14gr of H110, but I doubt I will push this gun that high. I am interested in doing some longer range shooting with it to see how flat it is shooting (high powder load, small bullet should be fairly flat like a 5.7).

The magazines were a bit flaky, one was an original and one was a brand new "made in taiwan" mag that classic sent me. They seemed to function best when loaded with 7rds vs 8rds. Had a few that didn't want to chamber fully, had to push the slide closed, but I think that was due to some residual dirt/cosmo that was coming out of the cracks after the gun heated up. Going to give it a top to bottom scrubbing to get all the residual stuff out.

All in all, a fantastic shooter and it functioned perfectly. A fellow MDS member was with me and he enjoyed shooting it too.

If you have your C&R and don't have one of these, what are you waiting for?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Cool news. I'd be happy with those groups any day of the week.
    I found ammo at Wideners. PPU.
    Funny thing about the PPU, I pulled the bullet and it was 85grn .306
    Groups are pretty big on those but can't say if its the round, the trigger or me just yet.

I have dies but no bullets yet. Been looking for anything 85grn between .308 and .311
    .308 would work in both my Nagant revolver and the Tok.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Cool news. I'd be happy with those groups any day of the week.
    I found ammo at Wideners. PPU.
    Funny thing about the PPU, I pulled the bullet and it was 85grn .306
    Groups are pretty big on those but can't say if its the round, the trigger or me just yet.

I have dies but no bullets yet. Been looking for anything 85grn between .308 and .311
    .308 would work in both my Nagant revolver and the Tok.

This is the mold I am using right now for the Tok.

http://www.grafs.com/dealer/product/205347

I am not sizing them and they are dropping around .311, plus or minus a .001". Using WW, they drop a bit light at around 90grn.

No leading evident, lots of muzzle flash with H110 powder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom