Rifles in PG county for groundhogs-is it allowed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    A friend wants me to take out their groundhogs. they live in Laurel on about 2 acres. What do I need to know about using a 10/22 with sub-sonics in their yard to take the whistle pigs?

I will be calling DNR as well to get their take.

I looked in the MD hunting guide that just came out, but I don't know if it makes a difference that this is a nuisance wildlife situation. I know there is an open season on chucks, but the rifle is the part I am concerned about.

Thanks all.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    I have a Gamo hunter sport. Is that "high power" enough? Shoots normal pellets at about 8-900 fps. .177 though.

I was also thinking of using my compound bow.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a Gamo hunter sport. Is that "high power" enough? Shoots normal pellets at about 8-900 fps. .177 though.

I was also thinking of using my compound bow.

Check county code also. Being pg, I bet they have laws on discharging firearms.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    For posterity, here is what the Nuisance wildlife folks and DNR LE in PG county had to say:

On my own property in PG county, No license is necessary for woodchucks, and firearms may be used. Shall not use firearms within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling, unless you have the permission of the owner.

Not on my land, must have permission of the landowner as well as the above mentioned 150 yard rules. Also would need a hunting license while acting as an agent in this manner. Trapping license required to trap them on someone else property.

No closed season on chucks, no bag limit. I spoke with a woman with the last name of Smith this morning at area 3 in Annapolis to get most of this information.

Hope this helps someone else.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    i thought i read somewhere it was 1000 feet.

also the way the PG statute is worded i believe even airguns, hell even airsoft, actually falls within the regulation.

my dad just made a simply homemade trap to catch em getting into the garden, worked well.

tiersmoke92555

Prince George's County Freedom Fighter
    Jun 28, 2012
    Capitol Heights
    I know its off subject but about 3 years ago we had the cops in Bowie call on us for a gang land style shoot out.:gun2: Cops fussed the lady that called out. "There F*** paintball guns, you don't see the green paint?!?":smack: PG Bowie DNR and Glendale FD responded.Still funny to this day :lol:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    I had a high school friend tell me that in the late 70's for Prince George's County.

I looked here:
    http://lis.princegeorgescountymd.gov/lis/default.asp?File=&Type=TOC

DIVISION 6. WEAPONS.
    14-140
    Loaded weapons prohibited; exceptions.
    14-141
    Transfer of weapon to minor prohibited; exceptions.
    14-141.01
    Handgun sales or transfers; child safety handgun lock required; notice.
    14-142
    Discharge of firearms; permit; exceptions; penalty.

and found

DIVISION 6. WEAPONS.

Sec. 14-140. Loaded weapons prohibited; exceptions.

(a) No person shall discharge or have in his possession, while loaded, any firearm, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name know, which is designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring or elastic, within one thousand feet (1,000') of any home or residence, other than his own, or any school or school grounds (private or public), church or church grounds, places of public assembly, public parks and playgrounds within the County, whether the weapon is loaded with blank or live cartridges or projectiles of any kind.
    (b) This Section shall not prohibit the owner or tenant of any land from discharging such described weapons on his land for the purpose of the protection of his own property or the life of himself or his family, or killing predatory animals which prey upon, damage or destroy his property, livestock or crops. This Section shall not apply to the discharging of such weapons where a permit has been issued by the Department of Environmental Resources.
    (Gen. Res. No. 11-1963, Sec. 1; CB-49-1984)

hmmm so the only exception is for predatory animals...well let me tell you about the teeth on these groundhogs ive got....

interestingly, when i was a teen i played a lot of paintball and one of our regular playing fields was a wooded plot of land adjacent to and owned by a private school, with of course the principals permission, but it seems like the way that law is worded we were probably breaking the law anyway lol.

god i hate this county.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    Not just predatory animals, that is obviously there to alow you to get rid of all nuisance animals.

"damage or destroy his property"

That's what a nuisance animal is doing to make it a nuisance.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Not just predatory animals, that is obviously there to alow you to get rid of all nuisance animals.

"damage or destroy his property"

That's what a nuisance animal is doing to make it a nuisance.

so then shooting groundhogs that are damaging our garden is a justified exception under the law?

if so, ive got some CB longs that would work real well without bothering the neighbors.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'm not clear on whether section (b) would nullify the 1000 foot restriction in section (a) above.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    I'm not clear on whether section (b) would nullify the 1000 foot restriction in section (a) above.

it does, because it also applies to self defense in your own home.

if sec b didnt nullify the range requirement, then defending yourself in your home, within 1000 feet of another home without written permission, would be illegal.

Aquasco

Aug 6, 2012
    PG

Yes you can use rifles for groundhogs. I have hunted them with a retired DNR officer before. We both shot 22-250's. However-you need to be 1000 feet from any house/road. You could get in trouble and the police may charge you.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    Yes you can use rifles for groundhogs. I have hunted them with a retired DNR officer before. We both shot 22-250's. However-you need to be 1000 feet from any house/road. You could get in trouble and the police may charge you.

Thanks, but the law as posted above clearly states that 1000 yards does not apply to nuisance animals, and this was confirmed by DNR Police on the phone.

I suppose this could be a beat the rap, not the ride kinda thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom