Rifle soft case question (magazine storage)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, I have a few of those soft rifle cases that have the magazine storage pockets on the front. Does anyone know if there's a legal issue with me using them for magazine storage while being transported in my car? They're not in the same physical container as my rifle, so I'm thinking it may be OK, but there are always details I may be forgetting..

(I'm thinking about buying a new range bag, and whether I can use the rifle case pockets for storage will inform this somewhat.)

aberforth

Lurker
    May 5, 2011
    Red Lion, PA
    So, I have a few of those soft rifle cases that have the magazine storage pockets on the front. Does anyone know if there's a legal issue with me using them for magazine storage while being transported in my car? They're not in the same physical container as my rifle, so I'm thinking it may be OK, but there are always details I may be forgetting..

(I'm thinking about buying a new range bag, and whether I can use the rifle case pockets for storage will inform this somewhat.)

Are you looking for FOPA coverage or just coverage within MD? I don't have it handy but there is an AG opinion stating that loaded mags not in the gun do not constitute a loaded weapon for statutory purposes, but beware pre-1985 local laws. A non-exhaustive list of which can be found here

ETA: Opinion is attached to this post.

Double Edit: After re-reading that opinion only strictly speaks to handgun mags (but I'd swear I've seen a more verbose and detailed opinion that covered mags in general).

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I just need protection within Maryland. The thread with local laws didn't seem to mention magazines anywhere, so I guess I'm good from that perspective. I knew about the AG's opinion, but there's also this theory that "loaded mags plus gun in same container = loaded gun". This isn't the same container per se, but it's closer than two separate containers.

*ponder* I'll have to give this one some thought.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I carry my AR in a soft case with 4 loaded magazines in pockets on the outside of the case. Don't tell anybody. On a side note, the magazines are empty for the trip home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom