• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Bolts are technically more accurate than semi-autos, but in reality it depends on who made them. A bolt action rifle may be better than a semi-auto, but it depends on what you plan on using it for. Manufacturing has come a long way from the late 1900s, so depending on what you are looking for, (nostalgia, accuracy, or precision) the field is pretty wide open. Some want old school, some want what is new.

Q

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    This is a great Mad Max rifle, incredibly reliable, almost no moving parts besides a few springs, uses widely 5.56/.223 ammo, 1/8 twist (will stabilize almost all ammo), standard magazines, extremely lightweight, deadly accurate, great for putting down all 2 & 4 legged predators, etc….

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I own one. I like it and it’s very accurate. It also uses AR-15 mags which is nice. I use it mostly for coyote hunting, but have taken it deer hunting. I only took it out 2 times, and both times I was able to harvest deer with it. I have better suited rifles for deer, but wanted to try it out. It worked fine, but I’m more of a big bore fan for in the woods hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_1610.png
      IMG_1610.png
      404.5 KB · Views: 34

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The Ruger American Ranch falls under the Jeff Cooper’s Scout Rifle concept as a simple, reliable defensive weapon.

This is a great Mad Max rifle, incredibly reliable, almost no moving parts besides a few springs, uses widely 5.56/.223 ammo, 1/8 twist (will stabilize almost all ammo), standard magazines, extremely lightweight, deadly accurate, great for putting down all 2 & 4 legged predators, etc….
    This is the definitive reason for carrying 5.56/.223 as well as .22, 12ga, 9mm and .40 in your survival collection for when times get tough and grubby.

Along with picking up all available food and water for re-supply and bartering, you will need to always scavenge Ammo, Medical and other crucial supplies in your AO or along your route of travel.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I bought the Ruger a few years ago...mostly because why not? :shrug: There can be a lot of tools, with overlapping functions, in the same toolbox even if they are a little different.

How many screwdrivers do I have? You don't know, of course. Well, I don't know either. It could realistically be 50. It also could be closer to 100. How many guns do I have? :shrug: I don't know exactly either. It could realistically be 50. It also could be closer to "none of anyone's damned business."

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Ruger American D60.JPG

There could be reasons for wanting to control your brass. No pistol grip (and smaller mags) could make prone shooting easier if you want to get really low. For some folks (maybe like me), just the fact that it is NOT an AR-15 has some appeal.

I haven't had the need yet, but it seems like it would be a great platform to shoot medium small critters at medium ranges in situations where you wouldn't want to lug around one of those sexy long, heavy barreled dedicated varmint rifles...like this:
    Rem700.JPG

Two observations. 1) The action is really tight, and I think (hope) that is a good thing? In fairness, the vast majority of my bolt action rifles are about 100 years old and possibly been through a war or two. This is definitely not a "mad minute" rifle though.
    2) With nothing but a thread protector on the muzzle, it's a little obnoxiously loud. I've put blast deflectors on it (which help tremendously) and considered a real suppressor, but any muzzle device takes away from the handiness of the short length.

89P13

May 10, 2023
    The Island
    Some prefer bolt action
    Can load long OAL heavier rounds singly in a bolt (if bbl has twist rate to stabilize)
    Quieter suppressed
    Lighter
    Probably more accurate for the price.
    Doesn't look tactical.
    ☝this. I mostly prefer bolt action when I’m “zen’ing” at my pops property in PA. Semi is fun yes but i like the slow pacedness and calming of a bolt. Especially when I have it in a caliber over all already.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    If it's a gun, I kinda want it.
    I have a savage 10/110 varmint that is a hoot from a bench. I also have ARs.
    I also find myself wanting a bolt gun in 7.62x39.
    I have a problem.
    The Ranch in 7.62x39 is usually quite a bit more accurate than say an AK, SKS, Mini 30, et al. The 7.62x39 round is equivalent to a 30 30 that has allegedly killed more deer than any other cartridge. It also takes Mini 30 mags if you happen to have a bunch of these lying around. Finally, being bolt action, it is much faster to clean. BTW, the Ranch in 5.56 now accepts AR mags. YMMV

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The Ranch in 7.62x39 is usually quite a bit more accurate than say an AK, SKS, Mini 30, et al. The 7.62x39 round is equivalent to a 30 30 that has allegedly killed more deer than any other cartridge. It also takes Mini 30 mags if you happen to have a bunch of these lying around. Finally, being bolt action, it is much faster to clean. BTW, the Ranch in 5.56 now accepts AR mags. YMMV
    I'll probably buy it soon. Finding them around $450 online.
    REALLY wish Savage and Mossberg were still making them with irons.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I know a guy that shoots 223 suppressed subsonic and I think 77 grain at ground hogs.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm late getting into this thread, but I purposely built a varmint gun around the .223 Remington cartridge - not really "5.56" specifically, although my rifle is strong to the point where there's no danger in using 5.56 ammo in it. In any case, every round that has been fired in it to date is a reload that has come off of my bench, and to my knowledge (although I could be wrong) there is no such thing as a 5.56 reload - only 223 Remington.

So why did I choose 223/5.56 instead of some other varmint cartridge such as the 243 Winchester, 22-250 Remington, 220 Swift, etc?

Economics.

Given that I reload, 223/5.56 brass is EVERYWHERE, it takes less powder than other cartridges, and 22 bullets are fairly cost-effective. I looked pretty hard at doing 22-250, but it was going to cost me a mint just to buy enough brass or ammo to give myself a healthy supply of reloadable brass.

And it's also a very accurate cartridge. It's not the speed demon that the 22-250 and 220 Swift are, but it also doesn't burn out barrels like those cartridges do. I get about 3,250 fps with a 50 gr VMax, but I'm thinking of moving to a 40 gr - I can get close to 3,800 fps with that.

Lastly, there are states that won't allow hunting deer with the 223, but there are more states that do. I know that my Dad harvested deer in Nebraska with a Sako Vixen in 223, even though he had a 25-06 that he also used.

Speaking of accuracy, here are a couple of targets from my 223 varmint rifle. To be fair, the one with the dime was done at 50 yards, but the other one was shot at 100, and I was using plain old 55 gr AR reloads I'd put together with AA2230, bulk bullets, and range pickup brass - that rifle doesn't care too much what the load is, provided the bullet is short and light enough for the 1:12 barrel twist. It's accurate enough that I can play battleship at 100 yards with nickel sized dots. There aren't many ARs that can consistently do that. This rifle is a .25 MOA gun - ARs are almost never quite that accurate. This rifle makes me look like a solid marksman.

Battleship.jpeg
    Bighorn Build.jpg
    100YardGroup.jpg
    5Shots.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wouldn't that have to be a big varmint? To me a good varmint rifle is a CZ 457 in 17hmr. But I am no expert when it comes to varmint hunting.
    Varmint hunting as in ground hogs and prairie dogs , at say 300- 600 yards . Small targets , and trajectory and wind bucking count .

While F Class , etc gravitates to very heavy bullets for retained at 1,000 yds , Varmints have traditionally focused in lighter bullets , really fast . Goal being flattest trajectory to 4- 500 yds , for small field targets at unknown distances .
    Historically , varminting was a major driving force in cartride and rifle design . A while back , there were a zillion Wildcats . Nowadays , a few ctgs predominate . .223 for plentiful cheap brass . Enough continued interest in .22 Hornet to keep it alive as a factory ctg . .22-250 remains a sweet spot of more or less as fast as you can go , before hitting a steep upward curve of throat erosion .

For decades , there was a popular category of Dual Purpose rifles / ctg . Meaning accurate and flat enough for varmints , while potent. Enough for deer . With concurrent characteristics of heavy enough both bbl profile and overall weight to not suck at shooting varmints at distance , but still able to carry all day in the. Woods without undue punishment . Think .243 Win and .257 Roberts historically . Today would include 6.5 Grendel .

Some people LIKE bolt actions , either exclusively , or in addition to other flavors . Yes , nowadays there some really accurate semis . But average gun to average gun , bolts are more accurate . And it's simpler to manufacture/ set up a sub MOA bolt than semis .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    just mainly hunting regs like others have mentioned, I can use 223 to deer hunt in PA but "whoa that gun can cycle itself that's illegal" so my AR is just for plinking when at home while I have 5.56 Henry pump action for when deer hunting

And I picked up an H&R Manlicher in .223 , with an eye for potential PA hunting .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No semiautomatic for hunting is a Pennsylvania thing . ( Albeit a couple years ago the Legislature gave the Game Commission authority for a pilot program , but far as I know , nothing on horizon yet .)

.223 for deer is closer to 50/ 50 split .
    A number of states have language to the effect of " Centerfire Rifle , .23 Caliber and larger ' .

.223 vs 5.56 Handloads ? A question of semantics .

Virtually all .223 bolt actions are plenty strong for 5.56 pressures . Care must be taken with bullet length and ogive with the tighter necks and shorter throats of .223 spec chambers . If a round has 5.56 pressure , but 55gr Ballistic Tip , or 52gr flat base , is it a .223 or 5.56 ?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    223 /556 has not even bantam weight recoil or even featherweight recoil.
    In a bolt gun that weighs a ton or is heavy, thats a plus.
    Especially when any rifle starts moving rearwards, before the bullet has even left the case mouth hardly.
    Thats the answer.
    F class, pronghorn this and that wood chucks 243 got nothing to do with it.
    Recoil, and muzzle jump.
    Cant play battleship as well with a harder kicking rifle.
    Or get a good score in the rapids if you like your mousegun very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom