• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    What are your goals for owning rifles? One of mine is to own at least one in all the major calibers. (.22lr, .223/5.56, 30-30, .308/7.62, 30-06, .300WinMag, .338Lapua, .408Cheytac, .50BMG) I already have the bold and the Italic is being built

If I have missed any please let me know so I can add it in and find another rifle :D

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    If you are making a collection of common rifle calibers, you could throw in .17 HMR, 7.62x39, and .270.

I am trying to acquire fewer calibers. I would be happy if every rifle came in .308. :)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Kind of a neat way to add to the collection, I like it.

My goal is to own a rifle that will shoot 1/2 MOA groups at 1,000 yards. I'm more into precision type shooting but having a large collection like what your talking about wouldn't be bad either.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm simple, I just want a 20mm rifle.

"What are you going to shoot with that??"

Whatever the hell I want. :D

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    My goals are almost met:

1 - Have an assortment of quality AR-15s, for nearly every purpose (I already have an SBR built, a 16" .300-221 carbine, and an M16A4 clone almost done... I'll get a precision one in a LaRue OBR and/or build a Mk12 over the next year) - with a suppressor.

2 - Have a legit AK. (I have an SLR-106FR)

3 - Have a quality bolt rifle. (2 custom built Howa 1500s in .308 WIN, still need glass for the better one)

4 - TRAIN TO BE EFFECTIVE WITH ALL OF THEM, especially the carbines. (Now that my weapons are up to snuff it's time to take classes, and try competitive/practical shooting competitions)

5 - Not sure if it really counts as a rifle but I really really really want an MP5 clone.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Does "collecting a variety of SBRs" count as a goal? My real love is shorty "commando-style" guns. It's not a very good goal since there's no definable end to it, but it does keep me occupied with various builds.

However, to make it a goal... here are specific SBR builds I'm interested in or working on:
    1. AR-15 .223
    2. AR-15 9mm
    3. AR-15 .22LR
    4. Galil SAR
    5. Saiga 12
    6. AK-100 tactical-style in 5.45x39
    7. Vz58 (waiting for pistol to be released)
    8. PTR-32 (derived from PDW)
    9. Mac-10/9 (FA)
    10. Mini-Uzi

I'm about halfway through the list in terms of having paid for stamps - when they'll come, who knows? Some of this stuff is also speculative - the Vz58 pistol has yet to be released. On the positive side, Omega is apparently FINALLY releasing a lock for 7.62x39, so I can run some of the pistols (PTR-32 PDW, Vz58 pistol) through the roster and not have to do the previous side step moves.

Of course, don't get me wrong: I like a nice bolt-action or a carbine as much as the next guy... and I own a few of those, too.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I want a Lee Enfield from each British Colony that they were issued to. So far, I have England, India, South Africa, and Australia, with a Republic of Ireland thrown in for kicks. I'm still working on a Canadian and a New Zealand issued SMLE. That might take a while since I got two motorcycles now.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I want a Lee Enfield from each British Colony that they were issued to. So far, I have England, India, South Africa, and Australia, with a Republic of Ireland thrown in for kicks. I'm still working on a Canadian and a New Zealand issued SMLE. That might take a while since I got two motorcycles now.

thats a great goal !!!! I really like and respect that idea great collection and something to be proud of!!:thumbsup:

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Don't forget 7mm Mag. That is a very popular one as well.

I'll be looking for probably a .308 down the road to join my small collection. But I'll probably get a Mosin first and maybe a Garand.

.22 LR - buying in a few weeks
    .22 WMR

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Military calibers.

In the world ending TV situation it's going to be hard to find ammo for these strange off wall calibers.

5.56, 308, 762.39, and of course .22 cause it's cheap.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    What are your goals for owning rifles? One of mine is to own at least one in all the major calibers. (.22lr, .223/5.56, 30-30, .308/7.62, 30-06, .300WinMag, .338Lapua, .408Cheytac, .50BMG) I already have the bold and the Italic is being built

If I have missed any please let me know so I can add it in and find another rifle :D

You have nothing in the 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm range, which is just about the perfect spot for balancing recoil and long range. Get a .243 Winchester, a .6.5 Swede, and a 7mm Rem Mag :thumbsup:

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    1st, get better with the ones I got!

2nd, I want an AK

3rd, good, proper hunting rifle, 25-06 really interests me.

4th, my second AR, probably an SPR. definitely something more precise than my 14.5

Vandy

Feb 27, 2007
    Churchton, MD
    My goals have changed a bit as I've gotten older. Specific to rifles my goals are to have the best I can afford in any particular rifle I buy/build. I have gone from wanting all kinds of guns to having fewer, higher quality rifles. In terms of calibers, my goals are:

.22LR - cheap, fun blaster (have)
    .22LR - good lever action (need)
    .22LR - nice bolt action (need)
    .223/5.56mm - Basic M4 style for blasting/loaning (have)
    .223/5.56mm - Custom high-end build (underway)
    30-30 - Good lever action (need)
    .308 - Precision tactical rifle (underway)
    .30-06 - Accurate bolt rifle for hunting (have)
    .30-06 - M1 Garand (need)
    .338 - Real nice Lapua Magnum, just because I can (need and probably last on list)

I really like the above mentioned goal of having one of every main battle rifle (or as close as you can get) used by the U.S. That would be quite a collection.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    ma_deuce said:
    You left out .45/70. Kicking ass since 1873. I've always wanted a nice 1886 Winchester or clone, and have a good shooter Springfield.

Augie has a nice 1884 in the classifieds at an excellent price.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I want to own rifles that have either historic or technical value to me. I temper this with being cheap and not wanting to spend a ton of money on ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom