• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    What is the legally defined way of measuring barrel length of a rifle with permanently attached muzzle device? This is for an Ar15 upper.

I'm only asking this because I've had 2 IPs state to different ways of determining that length. One said start from the beginning of the rifling in the barrel, one stated from the beginning of the receiver.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    From Ch2 of ATF NFA handbook:

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/national-firearms-act-handbook

One said start from the beginning of the rifling in the barrel, one stated from the beginning of the receiver.
    :sad20::sad20:

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    Okay, I wasn't losing my mind when i heard their answers. That's exactly what I've found online. I told the one IP that it was from the bolt face and he kept insisting it was from the receiver.

Thanks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One note, that’s for rifles. And semi-automatic pistols. Revolvers are measured from the end of the barrel to the start of the forcing cone. not the breach/bolt face.

So a 1 3/8” snubbie barrel is actually that long. A 2.5” semi-auto 9mm has a barrel approximately 1.5” in length (about 1” chamber).

This also means that a 16” AR-15 .223 barrel has a different length rifled length than a 16” AR-10 .308 barrel (because the .308 chamber is a little longer than the .223 chamber)

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    One note, that’s for rifles. And semi-automatic pistols. Revolvers are measured from the end of the barrel to the start of the forcing cone. not the breach/bolt face.

So a 1 3/8” snubbie barrel is actually that long. A 2.5” semi-auto 9mm has a barrel approximately 1.5” in length (about 1” chamber).

This also means that a 16” AR-15 .223 barrel has a different length rifled length than a 16” AR-10 .308 barrel (because the .308 chamber is a little longer than the .223 chamber)

Very good points. And I like that you said rifled length. The "barrel " is the same , but chamber takes away from rifle sections. Same could be said for a long throat 308 set up for 220's vs a 308 set up for 155 palma.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    ATF inspectors use check rods that are 16" long. They drop the rod down the barrel, onto the closed bolt, and see if it sticks out past the end of the muzzle.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And for overall length:

The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore.

Hopefully MSP uses the same definition. OBTW - for overall length, where does it say the muzzle device must be permanently attached? Barrel length yes - but overall length???

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And for overall length:

The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or rifle is the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore.

Hopefully MSP uses the same definition. OBTW - for overall length, where does it say the muzzle device must be permanently attached? Barrel length yes - but overall length???

That’s what ATF uses.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    And for overall length:

Overall length doesn't include muzzle devices unless they are permanently attached.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless that 1 3/8 in snub is a NAA Mini revolver , that sounds like the measurement from muzzle to frame . A "2 inch" J frame is either 1 7/8 or 2 1/8 , depending if it is std or "magnum" frame .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom