Ridiculous ways around magazine transfer...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    I think I just discovered the win. My nephew had a birthday party at zky-zone in columbia over the weekend. It's essentially a giant room full of a variety of jumpolines(it's what they were originally called before Hillary Clinton got on one). This establishment plus perfecting the art of the mag flip should result in repeatable dynamic high speed transference of ordinance feeding mechanisms through fluid synergistic coordination in an asymmetrical legal minefield.

WINNER!

/thread

Signifier

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    If you hand you're friend the spring inside and the casing separately it is no longer transferring a magazine nor if he puts it together is he receiving a magazine but parts used to make one if I'm correct...I don't think there is any law against assembling a magazine.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    If you hand you're friend the spring inside and the casing separately it is no longer transferring a magazine nor if he puts it together is he receiving a magazine but parts used to make one if I'm correct...I don't think there is any law against assembling a magazine.

You would need to drive to PA to assemble.

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    You're forgetting about that pesky height rule MSP "added" on their own to the jumping transfer regulations. 100 ft is the all around accepted height, even the AG put it in a memo... Let me see if I can find it somewhere...
    What if you jump while you're in a tall building? ie: Legg Mason Building, Baltimore World Trade Center, etc.
    You would be higher than 100ft, right?

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland

There is. It says "manufacture" of a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds is illegal. I believe it's one of the reasons Beretta is leaving the state. They manufacture the M9 and whatever other variants along with their magazines for the US Army. But now MOM and his cronies have gimped their production capabilities.

Signifier

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    There is. It says "manufacture" of a magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds is illegal. I believe it's one of the reasons Beretta is leaving the state. They manufacture the M9 and whatever other variants along with their magazines for the US Army. But now MOM and his cronies have gimped their production capabilities.

But you aren't really manufacturing, you are assembling parts that have already been manufactured. But after reading the Supreme Court's definition of manufacture, I suppose you cannot assemble a magazine either.

The Supreme Court has defined "manufacture" (in its verb form) as "the production of articles for use from raw or prepared materials by giving to these materials new forms, qualities, properties, or combinations, whether by hand-labor or by machinery." Diamond v. Chakrabarty, 447 U.S. 303, 308 (1980) (quoting American Fruit Growers, Inc. v. Brogdex Co., 283 U.S. 1, 11 (1931). The term is used in the statute in its noun form, Bayer AG v. Housey Pharms., Inc., 340 F.3d 1367, 1373 (Fed. Cir. 2003), and therefore refers to "articles" resulting from the process of manufacture. The same dictionary the Supreme Court relied on for its definition of "manufacture" in turn defines "article" as "a particular substance or commodity: as, an article of merchandise; an article of clothing; salt is a necessary article." 1 Century Dictionary 326 (William Dwight Whitney ed., 1895). These definitions address "articles" of "manufacture" as being tangible articles or commodities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_of_manufacture

Signifier

Banned
    BANNED!!!

There were several exemptions for Firearm manufacturers in SB281, so Beretta can still manufacture standard and high capacity magazines (FYI 30 round magazine is not a high capacity magazine it is standard capacity), however they cannot sell them in Maryland.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    It is most certainly not illegal to assemble parts into a magazine. If it were, you'd be "manufacturing" a new mag every time you take it apart to clean it.

Signifier

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    It is most certainly not illegal to assemble parts into a magazine. If it were, you'd be "manufacturing" a new mag every time you take it apart to clean it.

That's what I'm saying there is a difference between assembling and manufacturing. However, I'm not a lawyer. I just go out of state and buy my magazines though fortunately I'll be moving to Virginia in a year and won't have to worry about this problem.

beafly.cakes

One of Maryland's saving graces is its peculiar geography, which makes it easy to meet in a neighboring state.

Here's a challenge:

Just for fun, using Google Maps, see if you can find any spot in the entire state that is more than a 59 minute drive to the closest point in a neighboring state.

I tried a few spots in Howard County and near Annapolis, and Google Maps puts them only about 45 minutes from the state line, either Pennsylvania, Virginia, or Delaware.

Point lookout state park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom