• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    He is appealing and some of the email responses I've gotten from the county make it seem as if they are more than willing to work with him on this issue. (Of course it helps when people flood the county with calls and emails). And this is definately because of a pain in the ass neighbor.

Whereas that may be, I can tell you that on this issue she has been extremely responsive to my emails and has been forwarding me email traffic that she has initiated to stay on top of this issue and push it through. Prior to this, I may have responded in the same manner that you did however it seems as if she is on our side for this.

No, You mean her assistant has been "extremely responsive" your emails. Been down this road. I spoke with her face-to-face once regarding some firearms related issues and she had zero, zip, zilch, nada, clue who I was or what I talking about. I walked away from the conversation with full understanding that all of my emails and correspondence had fallen on deaf ears. I just gave up. What's the use after that point.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I think the volume of calls and email is all they care about. I remember testifying on the handgun hunting issue and they all seemed pretty much clueless which they probably are on most issues. Whoever makes the most noise wins most of the time unless somebody is ponying up the bigbucks and then it is screw the voters.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I do not intend to get this thread way off topic, BUT, you must view this video in order to understand my statements of how clueless the CC County Commissioners are on the subject. View the County Meeting from January 2011. This is for proposals for the 2012 Fiscal year. You'll start viewing the Handgun proposal at 12m:55sec in this video.

Everyone else in this meeting was allowed questions, when they said, no questions, at the beginning of this meeting, yet when the handgun proposal came in to play, they wanted no part of the conversation because it related to Hunting and Guns.

You can clearly see how clueless the BOC is on these subjects. They have this pause as if saying, Duh, what do we do now ?" it's really sad. But here is the link to the Meeting Video

( go to 12:55 in the video ) VIDEO IS HERE

The point of me posting this video is so everyone can see the direction the CC BOC takes on Gun / Hunting related issues.

I will not entertain any more, slightly off topic, discussions. Thanks.

When Ms. Kelly says, "Go with God" this clearly states to me she is anti-hunter.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Meet the President of the Charles County Commissioners, Candice Quinn Kelly, this women is so "gun ignorant", it's not even a laughing matter. You mention Guns or Hunting and she avoids the questions all together. Absolutely no clue what-so-ever on any related subject.
    Candice_Quinn_Kelly.jpg

Don't know so-much about that last sentence.
    I know for fact. . . .that she attended a High Power Rifle Match at St. Charles Sportsman's Club, several years ago (I was there. . . running the match!), and she shot some rounds downrange, using an M1 Carbine!!!! (I provided the carbine and the ammo!)
    She was Candice Quinn, at the time.

I'm not so sure, her husband is a member of the Saint Charles Sportsmen Club.

THAT, I did not know!

On another subject, related to Rick -

My 16 year old son made a good point last night.
    Rick is involved in the "Hunters for the Hungry" Program (whatever the actual name is)!

"I wonder how the County Council will be viewed IF these butchers/processors are closed down, and the hungry/homeless are deprived of FREE FOOD!?!?!?!?!?"

My son has a pretty good point!!

byf43

Ok, so the update to this will affect all deer hunters that currently use a deer processor. Apparently Charles County does not have a current zoning category for deer processors so last night they made the decision to define Rick's Place as a slaughter house. The problem is that whereas deer processing in years past has always been allowed in "agricultural conservation" areas, slaughterhouses are not. The board seemed to be pretty accomodating though and allowed Rick to continue operations with restrictions on time (hours now are 10 to 2 and then 6 to 8) as long as he submits paperwork to request variances from the zoning law prior to 60 days.

My son goes to school with one of Rick's daughters.

She told him yesterday, that Rick's hours are:

M-F: 10-2 and 6-8.
    Saturday: 10-2.
    Sunday: Closed

This included 'drop off' of deer to be processed, as she understood it.

His question (and mine) is - Supposing you harvest a deer after 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.
    What are 'you' supposed to do, to get this deer processed???? Let it sit until Monday!?!?!?!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Don't know so-much about that last sentence.
    I know for fact. . . .that she attended a High Power Rifle Match at St. Charles Sportsman's Club, several years ago (I was there. . . running the match!), and she shot some rounds downrange, using an M1 Carbine!!!! (I provided the carbine and the ammo!)
    She was Candice Quinn, at the time.

I will accept your, "disagreement" we'll call it, with my statement. I simply have a first-hand impression that she is either ignorant of the issue, or simply doesn't give a rats ass about it. Regardless, she made a quick exit from all of my, and others, intentions and concerns of the issue regarding hunting and gun inquiries.

byf43

I will accept your, "disagreement" we'll call it, with my statement. I simply have a first-hand impression that she is either ignorant of the issue, or simply doesn't give a rats ass about it.
    Regardless, she made a quick exit from all of my, and others, intentions and concerns of the issue regarding hunting and gun inquiries.

Your sentence in red boldface is spot-on!!

She (and the rest of the Council) most likely do NOT want to open any discussions regarding firearms, which will lead to more 2A discussions.
    In other words. . . . their policy - Do NOT open that can of worms!!

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County

His question (and mine) is - Supposing you harvest a deer after 2:00 p.m. on Saturday.
    What are 'you' supposed to do, to get this deer processed???? Let it sit until Monday!?!?!?!

Those hours were set by the court this past wednesday morning. He had no choice in the matter. But as far as if you shoot one saturday night then your best bet is to jam it full of ice (usually two 10lb bags is the perfect amount, one inside the chest cavity and one in the abdomen area). Rick used to not be open on Sundays, he just started that about 2-3 years ago. But I can guarantee you that as long as you keep the ice inside the deer you will be fine. I used to leave mine in the bed of the truck (covered of course), flip the carcass everyonce in awhile so the water would drain and not sit on top of the meat, and just take it to him on monday.

That being said, it is still asinine for the courts to choose hours like that, especially without any input from the community. There are some petitions that are floating around if anybody is interested in signing them in support of Rick's Place. I will find out locations and post it in here but I believe Sportsman's Liquidators, Fred's Sporting Goods, and of course Rick's Place are locations but there are a few more.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009

How about taking care of it your self. Find some place to hang it and skin it then you can cut it up an dput it in a cooler then leave it on ice in the cooler for a few days and then take the parts to rick to have him make what you want.

It isnt hard to skin and cut a deer up and only takes about 30 minutes or so You dont need to hang it but it helps a lot.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Your sentence in red boldface is spot-on!!

She (and the rest of the Council) most likely do NOT want to open any discussions regarding firearms, which will lead to more 2A discussions.
    In other words. . . . their policy - Do NOT open that can of worms!!

Oh, absolutely. Also, if you know, or remember when they had that big issue in La Plata years ago with kids going on that shooting rampage with BB guns ? You do know that the Charles County Commissioners is the directly related responsible party for the passing of the law that you have to be 21 to buy a BB gun in this county now, right ? This IS NOT a state or federal law, it is a Charles County, Maryland law. This is how the "Commi" ssioners solve gun related issues in this county...

byf43

My son harvested a 4pt yesterday (Youth Hunter Days - Sat. and Sun.)

After field-dressing and getting it into the truck, my son called Rick's, to see if we could drop off his deer.

They told him, "No", and that they were closed on Monday.
    He could bring it to them on Tuesday.

Sorry. That's out of the question. No place to hang, and no way that I could butcher this myself. (I have a bad back and knees.)

So, we called Chuck's. No answer.
    We called Skip Dixon. No answer.
    I called a friend of mine, and he said that Skip Dixon only does butchering work for family, now.

O.K. (Note: That 'o.k.' was said with appropriate amount of sarcasm.)

So, we called a family friend, down in St. Mary's, and he suggested a guy that he's used, down there.

So. . . . this is an open message to the Charles County Council -

Since you have seen to it that we county residents and hunters cannot use Charles County businesses (and friends!!), to butcher LEGAL game. . . . we now will take our business to St. Mary's County, where they accept our business, gladly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This also makes it more difficult to help the county's "Hunters for the Hungry" program (proper name ???).
    You see, County Council, Rick is a participating butcher, for that program.

We'll also burn more gasoline, and also add to the smog issue!!

Smart thinking, Charles County Council!!! :thumbsup: No, wait. . . . . :tdown::tdown::tdown:

Last edited:

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    So. . . . this is an open message to the Charles County Council -

Since you have seen to it that we county residents and hunters cannot use Charles County businesses (and friends!!), to butcher LEGAL game. . . . we now will take our business to St. Mary's County, where they accept our business, gladly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This also makes it more difficult to help the county's "Hunters for the Hungry" program (proper name ???).
    You see, County Council, Rick is a participating butcher, for that program.

We'll also burn more gasoline, and also add to the smog issue!!

Smart thinking, Charles County Council!!! :thumbsup: No, wait. . . . . :tdown::tdown::tdown:

Definately send emails to the commissioners with this story. They don't read this board. Send them an email and keep the pressure on them. Also include Peter Aluotto. After talking to Rick and Carol and others it seems like Peter Aluotto (Director for the Department of Planning and Growth Management) is the one pushing this agenda. They need to know.

I don't know about you but I would rather not have to drive to drop my deer off.

Don't just bitch about it! Send emails!!

p.s. And congrats to your son. I love hearing stories of the next generation getting involved in hunting.

byf43

E-mail just sent to Charles County Commissioners:

This is an open message to the Charles County Commissioners -

My sixteen year old son, (son's name inserted here), harvested a nice 4pt deer, yesterday (Sunday, November 11, 2012), at 4:25 p.m., while participating in Maryland's "Youth Hunter Days". (Just in case you aren't aware of this, Saturday and Sunday were legal hunting days for youth only (16 years of age and younger), for Maryland's "Big Game", Whitetail Deer.

My son contacted Rick's Place (I'm sure you are aware of who Rick is!) and was told that we could not drop off his deer because of the restriction to his operating hours, set by the County Council. (My words. . . not his! Let me make that perfectly clear!)

Just for informational purposes. . . . we also called "Chuck's", which is also a deer processing location in the county, and there was no answer on the phone.

So, we called a butcher not too far over the county line, in Prince George's County, and discovered that this butcher (Skip Dixon) is only doing butchering work for family, now.

We then called a family friend in St. Mary's County, and found a butcher in Leonardtown, that would accept my son's legal deer, until 9:00 p.m., last night!
    We drove to Leonardtown, Maryland, from Waldorf, to have this legal deer processed.

Since you have seen to it that we county residents and hunters cannot use Charles County businesses (and acquaintances!!), to butcher LEGAL game. . . . we are now forced to take our business to St. Mary's County, where they accept our business, gladly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You see, Charles County Council, Rick is a participating butcher, for that program.

We also burned more gasoline, and also added to the smog issue!!

Smart thinking, Charles County Council!!! (I say this with all appropriate sarcasm!!!)

I, for one, will remember who I will (and who I won't) vote for, next election cycle.

I look forward to your replies.

(My name inserted here)
    Waldorf, Maryland

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Awesome! We southern maryland sportsman need to stick together on this one and that is the best way to do it. I do believe from some of the responses I've gotten recently that they county officials realized they opened a can of worms and are wanting to close it as quickly as possible. I think they figured most of the sportsman would just roll over and not pay any attention to what they wanted to do. Taking a page right out of MSI's playbook, inundate them with emails and they eventually give in. Love it.

byf43

Well, I didn't think it would happen, but, I got a response to my e-mail, from the Chuck County Commissioners.

Here is their response:

Wednesday, Nov 14 05:22 PM
    Dear Mr. **byf43**,

Thank you for your email and for letting us know of your experience with deer processing.

The status of Rick's Butcher Shop is in the hands of the Charles County Board of Appeals. That Board provided Mr. Turner with a leeway to file for a Special Exception so that the Board may consider all of the issues. It's our understanding that the members of the Board have publicly expressed support for Mr. Turner's business but they wish to hear the concerns of the neighbors who brought the matter forth.

We're sending a copy of your message to the Clerk to the Board of Appeals, Carrol Everett, for her inclusion in the record. We appreciate your taking the time to write to us and you have our best wishes, along with warm congratulations to your son, **byf43 'Jr.'**.

We hope you and your family have an enjoyable holiday season.

The County Seal and Commissioners Collins, Davis and Rucci's names were at the bottom of the e-mail.

byf43

Here is my reply to the Commissioners:

Commissioners,

First of all, I am very surprised that you responded. Thank you.

Secondly, regarding the 'neighbors' near Rick's Place, I feel I must comment on that.
    I know some of the people that live around/near there.
    I also know, for fact, that some of those residents are the 'speeding problem'!! (Yes, including my friends!)
    On one particular instance, I was leaving Rick's Place, when one of these 'neighbors' was coming down the road, approaching me, and she was (literally) doing 50 mph down that dirt road. . . . in the MIDDLE of the road!
    (My small pick-up truck still carries the scratches from getting out of her way, and brushing against tree limbs beyond the edge of the road.)

This was one year ago, when my son and I picked up his butchered deer, from the 2011 Youth Hunter Day.

The 'speeding problem' is not just the people that use Rick's Place.

In my not-so-humble opinion, the person(s) throwing the stones (or rocks in this case!), are the very ones that complain about the problem.
    (Let's keep this in butcher's terms. "That's the bacon, calling sausage, 'pork'!")

In this economy, I would like to think that the Commissioners and the Charles County Board of Appeals will/find some way to allow this man (Rick) to support his family, and serve the community and his clients.
    As it stands now, more money is leaving the county, than needs to, and that's not good for OUR economy and community.

I've lived in this county since early 1982. This county is my home, and I would rather keep my money in the county.

**byf43**
    Waldorf, MD

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Chuck county has for as long as i can remember been very suppressive to its citizens.
    Is this a case of urban sprawl? I've seen that happen a lot in MD too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom