• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    For those of you that use Rick's Place as a butcher shop I am just letting you know that he told me the county is trying to shut him down. Why you may ask?

-Not because of health code violations
    -Not because of licensing issues
    -Not because of zoning issues (UPDATED BELOW 22 October)

I am of the understanding that it is because the people on his road complained that people driving to his house to drop off deer are driving too fast. I will hold my own opinion on that.

Anyways, there is a hearing for it Tuesday at 7:00 with the commissioners for those of you that use Rick as a butcher and would like to support him.

UPDATE: Found out today that technically they are shutting him down for a zoning issue. Apparently the zoning law in Charles County requires a minimum of 20 acres of land for a slaughterhouse. Rick's property is only 10.14 acres. This is what they are going to hang him on evidently. Rick has been in operation for more than a decade (probably longer, that is just how long I've been using him) and it has only come to light after people complained of the traffic coming down their road.

Last edited:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Is this a county maintained road or a private / residential drive ?

1) Post a speed sign of 10-15 MPH

I had to put up 15 MPH sign on the old road at the farm to keep the UPS and FedEX guys from beating up the gravel road.

2) Residential speed is 25 MPH on County maintained roads in neighborhoods.

If folks can't obey the posted speed limit have a cop stop them and get their autograph. If there's no posted speed sign then get there as fast as you can. There's no "speed limit" on your driveway.

In support of this fella Rick I don't know what people speeding has to do with his business.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Is this a county maintained road or a private / residential drive ?

1) Post a speed sign of 10-15 MPH

I had to put up 15 MPH sign on the old road at the farm to keep the UPS and FedEX guys from beating up the gravel road.

2) Residential speed is 25 MPH on County maintained roads in neighborhoods.

If folks can't obey the posted speed limit have a cop stop them and get their autograph. If there's no posted speed sign then get there as fast as you can. There's no "speed limit" on your driveway.

In support of this fella Rick I don't know what people speeding has to do with his business.

It is a private/residential drive (a dirt road actually that is about a mile long). They have a posted speed limit sign of 10 mph.

And the other residents that live along the road have complained enough to the appropriate people that they are attempting to shut him down. I believe their initial complaint was the amount of traffic on the road and they were told there was nothing that could be done since Rick owns a significant portion of the right of way for the road. Evidently they are trying a different tactic by calling it a safety issue now and complaining that the people speeding down the road are endangering the kids.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    One of the people that live on that road darned near hit me head-on, she was driving so fast, right in the middle of the road!!!!

Rick IS a good butcher, and a really nice guy.
    He's butchered a couple of deer and a wild hog for me.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    One of the people that live on that road darned near hit me head-on, she was driving so fast, right in the middle of the road!!!!

Rick IS a good butcher, and a really nice guy.
    He's butchered a couple of deer and a wild hog for me.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yep, my family has used him for years to butcher our deer. That's why my family and friends will be sticking up for him. I already sent emails to the comissioners voicing my support. We used to use Dixon's but he used to only do straight cuts and not bologna or sausage which is why we switched to Rick when he started taking deer.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Yep, my family has used him for years to butcher our deer. That's why my family and friends will be sticking up for him. I already sent emails to the comissioners voicing my support. We used to use Dixon's but he used to only do straight cuts and not bologna or sausage which is why we switched to Rick when he started taking deer.

I used to use Skip Dixon.
    He's also a good butcher, but, he's not really convenient.

IF Rick has been 'shut down', when does this take effect???
    Is Rick going to appeal???

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I thought this would be a thread about how "Everybody comes to Rick's" :cool:

Attachments

• Casablanca.JPG
      Casablanca.JPG
      41.3 KB · Views: 512

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    It is a private/residential drive (a dirt road actually that is about a mile long). They have a posted speed limit sign of 10 mph.

And the other residents that live along the road have complained enough to the appropriate people that they are attempting to shut him down. I believe their initial complaint was the amount of traffic on the road and they were told there was nothing that could be done since Rick owns a significant portion of the right of way for the road. Evidently they are trying a different tactic by calling it a safety issue now and complaining that the people speeding down the road are endangering the kids.

Ok, so, my theory is correct. It has nothing to do with what goes on at Rick's "place". This is more of an issue that constitutes a police officer with a radar gun and a ticket book.

I don't care where the location is, or what the business is, regardless, this issue has nothing to do with Rick personally.

These people speeding down this road could be going to any one of the residences on that road. Their final destination doesn't have a dang thing to do with their speeding problems.

The neighborhood I live in has a posted speed limit of 25. The average speed is about 40 on the main drag and that's a county maintained road. The average speed limit on Route 210 here in the town of Indian Head is 40. Average speed is 50-60 !

The point is these Speeders are breaking a posted speed limit rule and they are going to both residences and businesses. The issue has nothing to do with the residence or the business, but, it is directly related to what happens before the Speeder gets to where he's going.

Now, if the BOA / County Commissioners shut Rick down for this issue, then this group has, once again, proven itself to be ignorant and simply don't care what you have to say. We all should know that the County Commissioners are ignorant of many things, except for their salaries and how to raise them each quarter. Ask them about guns and firearms and they will turn the topic into to fiscal year end totals. I'll swear by this. I am familiar enough with hearing of Rick's Place to know he is Charles County to make this claim against the county. I have been down the road with them regarding the addition of handgun hunting for Deer in this county. They pretty much made the conversation short, sweet, we are ignorant of guns and ain't not even going to breath in that direction. Many things mentioned to our CC's, they have no clue about.

It doesn't matter if these Speeders are going to Rick's Home or Rick's Deer cutting up place, it has nothing to do what is at the end of the road. The only issue at hand is what happens on the road.

Feel free to hand this reply directly to the BOA / CC's. They might need this reality check... again.

Maybe while Rick is there, he can at least ask for, if they have given any more thought to the handgun questions... :D

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Ok, so the update to this will affect all deer hunters that currently use a deer processor. Apparently Charles County does not have a current zoning category for deer processors so last night they made the decision to define Rick's Place as a slaughter house. The problem is that whereas deer processing in years past has always been allowed in "agricultural conservation" areas, slaughterhouses are not. The board seemed to be pretty accomodating though and allowed Rick to continue operations with restrictions on time (hours now are 10 to 2 and then 6 to 8) as long as he submits paperwork to request variances from the zoning law prior to 60 days.

Rick then had a court date this morning involving the Charles County attorneys (sp?). The head lawyer for Charles County basically told Rick that they are going to be going after all the deer processing facilities it just so happens that Rick is first and caught in the middle of all the semantics.

So at this point, whether you use Dixon's, or Tommy, or Jameson, or whoever else, your pressure on the commissioners would benefit all of them. Rick said he is personally going to go to some of these other fellas places and recommend they remove their signs, since less visibility usually equals less harrassment.

The issues at hand so that you can address them if you feel like sending emails:

-Deer processing and livestock processing has always been a way of life in Southern Maryland and should be allowed on agricultural land.

-Since there is no specific category then the processor should be labeled under the "accessory to agricultural conservation" and therefore allowed to operate.

-Instead of shutting these processors down, the county should work with these people to define their operations and create reasonable zoning laws that mesh with the urban sprawl.

-This is an attack on our way of life in southern maryland, this includes farmers and hunters and we will not stand for it.

If you get a chance to fire off some emails to the county commissioners as well as Peter Aluotto (director of planning and growth management) it would definately help the processors out.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I want to add to this also, that the county attorney last night made a comment and it was something along the lines of: If we can't define the operation and it is not specifically listed as a legal then it is illegal. (it was very similar to this although not exact)

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that laws were specifically created to tell you what was illegal and everything else was legal but apparently when it comes to farming and hunting Charles County is beginning to take a different approach.

It is important to note, in addition, that the zoning officer freely admitted that the decision to define Rick's Place as a slaughterhouse was a direct result of neighbor's complaints of traffic in the area. Rick had actually had the zoning officer back in 2002 (Ray Buckler I believe his name was) take a look at his operation and Mr. Buckler informed Rick that he was following all the regulations appropriately however, this officer came to a different conclusion.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    LMAO "Slaughter House" That's friggin hilarious.

They can not classify it as a slaughter house. The slaughtering is not done there. That's a whole different business.

Basically Rick, and everyone else, is nothing more than a "Butcher Shop / Deli" Charles County has, once again as I said, used some off the wall description to make things simply for them to understand. Sad, sad county.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I want to add to this also, that the county attorney last night made a comment and it was something along the lines of: If we can't define the operation and it is not specifically listed as a legal then it is illegal. (it was very similar to this although not exact)

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that laws were specifically created to tell you what was illegal and everything else was legal but apparently when it comes to farming and hunting Charles County is beginning to take a different approach.

It is important to note, in addition, that the zoning officer freely admitted that the decision to define Rick's Place as a slaughterhouse was a direct result of neighbor's complaints of traffic in the area. Rick had actually had the zoning officer back in 2002 (Ray Buckler I believe his name was) take a look at his operation and Mr. Buckler informed Rick that he was following all the regulations appropriately however, this officer came to a different conclusion.

I don't feel it is that they are taking a "different approach". I do feel the fact is that these "rule makers" and "regulators" are ignorant of the facts. This has been proven to me on several occasions. It is all too obvious to me from personal experience.

trapture

Surplus Rifle Lover
    Apr 27, 2007
    Dundalk-Ish
    Ten years in business, he should be able to appeal that. Speaking as a person in the business (Surveyor, Engineer, Planner) he has a legitimate reason to appeal. Also it depends on zoning when he started the business not the current regulations. It could be the same but may not be. This is just another squeese on a small business because either a county official or a busy body neighbor (sometimes both they are the worst to deal with) doesn't like hunting.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Ten years in business, he should be able to appeal that. Speaking as a person in the business (Surveyor, Engineer, Planner) he has a legitimate reason to appeal. Also it depends on zoning when he started the business not the current regulations. It could be the same but may not be. This is just another squeese on a small business because either a county official or a busy body neighbor (sometimes both they are the worst to deal with) doesn't like hunting.

Meet the President of the Charles County Commissioners, Candice Quinn Kelly, this women is so "gun ignorant", it's not even a laughing matter. You mention Guns or Hunting and she avoids the questions all together. Absolutely no clue what-so-ever on any related subject.

Candice_Quinn_Kelly.jpg

epps1919

Aug 9, 2010
    SO.MD
    Meet the President of the Charles County Commissioners, Candice Quinn Kelly, this women is so "gun ignorant", it's not even a laughing matter. You mention Guns or Hunting and she avoids the questions all together. Absolutely no clue what-so-ever on any related subject.

Candice_Quinn_Kelly.jpg

I'm not so sure, her husband is a member of the Saint Charles Sportsmen Club.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County

He is appealing and some of the email responses I've gotten from the county make it seem as if they are more than willing to work with him on this issue. (Of course it helps when people flood the county with calls and emails). And this is definately because of a pain in the ass neighbor.

Candice_Quinn_Kelly.jpg

Whereas that may be, I can tell you that on this issue she has been extremely responsive to my emails and has been forwarding me email traffic that she has initiated to stay on top of this issue and push it through. Prior to this, I may have responded in the same manner that you did however it seems as if she is on our side for this.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Over near doctor mudd's house. If you're coming from route 5 turn onto bryantown road. Go all the way to the end. Turn left. In about another mile you'll see Petzold Farm road (dirt road). Make a left onto it. Go all the way to the end. The road dead ends at his house/farm/butcher shop. He does not sell meat but he will process any animal you'll bring to him (buy a cow or hog from somewhere else and he'll cut it up too). PLEASE DRIVE SLOW down the dirt road!!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm not so sure, her husband is a member of the Saint Charles Sportsmen Club.

That's fine. I hunt. My wife doesn't know a thing about it other than I set in a tree for hours and hours.

If she, Ms. Kelly, had any views or opinions on the topics that, were at hand, then her interest would have been a bit more obvious.

I don't like Nascar. My wife loves it. I don't know nothing about it except guys drive around in a big circle for hours and hours.

Get it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom