• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I hear this all the time. It's important to remember that Elections are effectively a binary choice. Neither option may be good for gun rights but one is always worse than the other. On top of that, any vote you don't cast for the candidate you dislike the least, is a vote that the worse candidate doesn't need to overcome. So, not voting is mathematically similar to voting for the worst candidate.

Every time Trump does something you don't like, ask yourself if Hillary and second Ginsberg on the court would pave the way to a better life for your grandchildren?

The NRA isn't going anywhere because of this. The reason the founders enumerated the inalienable rights in the constitution is because they knew that there would always be people who thought they knew better. Heck, for each one that passed, there were those who disagreed. There will always be people, usually powerful ones, who could be even more powerful if they could control our speech, our religion and the means to defend the rest.

Luckily we live in Maryland so it doesn't really matter how you vote.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I thought there was a thread for the Senate version, but I'll post here. And it's bad news for reciprocity. VA Senator Warner, who has twice voted in favor of National Reciprocity, has come out against it: http://www.newsweek.com/senator-mar...d-carry-reciprocity-and-why-it-matters-594776

I don't see how they get to 60 votes in the Senate now.

I expect McConnell to ditch the 60 vote (filibuster) requirement before years end so it may not matter. Let's hope. Either way it is a gift and a curse.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    I thought there was a thread for the Senate version, but I'll post here. And it's bad news for reciprocity. VA Senator Warner, who has twice voted in favor of National Reciprocity, has come out against it: http://www.newsweek.com/senator-mar...d-carry-reciprocity-and-why-it-matters-594776

I don't see how they get to 60 votes in the Senate now.

You don't need 60 votes in the Senate, and the GOP never expected they would. NCCR can pass with a simple majority (51 votes).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    They will have to change the Senate rules again to allow passage of legislation with a simple 51 vote majority. The current rules only allow 51 votes for Judicial appointees and budget reconciliation legislation

Whether McConnell will change that rule is anyone's guess.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Senate rules are to pass a bill, only requires a simple majority.

BUT.....
    (And here's the problem)

In order for the bill to be allowed to be voted on for passage the senate must first debate the bill. In order for them to end the debate period they take a vote for cloture. That ends all debate and amendment process and proceeds to vote for passage of the bill.

The cloture vote requires a super-majority. That's where the 60 vote threshold comes in. So a bill never gets an up or down vote for passage because they need 60 votes to stop talking about it and vote yay or nay

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Correct. what I meant was to get rid of the requirement for a cloture vote will take a rules change as McConnell did for Gorsuch. You can guarantee the Dems will fillibuster. unless the cloture vote rule is abolished.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Never happen...

He knows they won't be in majority for ever and that's too big of a tool for the minority party (one of their only effective tools)

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Never happen...

He knows they won't be in majority for ever and that's too big of a tool for the minority party (one of their only effective tools)

Don't think that the Dems won't change it with one of their first actions if they ever get the majority back.

Either McConnell does it now, or Schumer/next Dem up will do it. Dingy Harry started it, there is no stopping it. Mitch needs to grow a set and get it done, the Dems won't relent and act as they should.

The filibuster has been abused. It was never meant to do what it does today.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Don't think that the Dems won't change it with one of their first actions if they ever get the majority back.

Either McConnell does it now, or Schumer/next Dem up will do it. Dingy Harry started it, there is no stopping it. Mitch needs to grow a set and get it done, the Dems won't relent and act as they should.

The filibuster has been abused. It was never meant to do what it does today.

Truly the whole political system isn't working the way it was meant to. It's most likely only going to get worse much worse before we can get back to actual debating of bills and something that resembles compromise.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I wish he would prove me wrong, but McConnell should be wearing a pink ***** hat and be prancing across the Mall.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3