• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    needs to be introduced , then goes through the committee process, then to each side of Congress. Then if the House and Senate version are different, to a conference committee. After that to President Trump. So 4 months seems a good estimate. As written, the bill takes effect 90 days after passage. Fall 2017 seems a good guess IMO.

but I'm just guessing

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    All prior iterations of national reciprocity bills included that an out-of-state permit must be treated as the least-restricted permit available in the visited state.

NYC would have to ban all carry or make NYC permits so useless that everyone would resort to hiring off-duty cops for protection before someone with a PA license could be prohibited from carrying in Times Square.

NJ for example... Has a ban on Hollow point. An explicit exception was made for leosa. Are you saying that the NJ hollow point ban would be moot?
    That's a major plus if true.

In case you don't know NJ would love to force all private security to be off duty police...Even more so in NY..

It's a good way to allow police to make a buck without taxpayer expense.. in some cases hireing off duty police is a condition of getting an event permit... Like most things in NY... Everybody gets a cut..

Frankly most gun hostile states will find ways ... We need a federal safe harbor..

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Banned for carry. You can own but not use in a carry gun... At least that's what my contacts tell me.

I was never a gun owner in NJ or NYC.

If it holds then it gets very interesting..

My understanding as well. If passed everyone would need to be aware of this, as the current reciprocity bill wouldn't change that fact.

LostinNJ

Dec 26, 2016
    Major Revision to Hudson Bill!!!!!

Friends,

I just had a back-and-forth with Kerry Picket of the Daily Caller. Here is a link to the newly revised bill:

https://hudson.house.gov/uploads/Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017.pdf

The new bill deletes the line that would have limited the reciprocal right to carry to non-residents.

a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any
    9 State or political subdivision thereof (except as provided
    10 in subsection (b)) and subject only to the requirements
    11 of this section, a person who is not prohibited by Federal
    12 law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving
    13 a firearm, who is carrying a valid identification document
    14 containing a photograph of the person, and who is car
    15rying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant
    16 to the law of a State and which permits the person to
    17 carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a con
    18 cealed firearm in the State in which the person resides,
    19 may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a
    20 machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped
    21 or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any
    22 State that—

‘‘(1) has a statute under which residents of the
    24 State may apply for a license or permit to carry a
    25 concealed firearm; or
    ‘‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed
    2 firearms by residents of the State for lawful pur
    3poses.

This from Kerry of the Daily Caller:

I updated my first piece to address this issue. A congressional source told me this: "an individual from one of those states may obtain a non-resident CCP from a state that recognizes the right to carry. All CCP holders (whether resident or non-resident) still have to abide by all the laws of the state in which they are carrying concealed."

Here is a pull from her new story, posted today:

This would mean that even law abiding individuals who are residents in tough restrictive gun law states like Maryland, California, and New York, for example, can use a non-resident concealed carry permit from another state, like Utah, to conceal carry in their own state.

I am in New Jersey. If this language survives the bill's arduous journey, you folks in Maryland and myself in New Jersey will finally be able to carry in our own state.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I agree. But I see a 10A challenge from Frosh or other May Issue states.almost immediately.

But it will be fun to watch the AG's and the heads at the MSP LD explode.

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    I agree. But I see a 10A challenge from Frosh or other May Issue states.almost immediately.

But it will be fun to watch the AG's and the heads at the MSP LD explode.

How would that play out in the courts? It would be challenged on 10A grounds not 2A, right? So other than narrowly this law 2A interpretation wouldn't be adjusted? (Presuming it ended up in front of the supremes somewhere around 2022, or however long it takes.?)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IANAL, but the states will make a 10A case, wile we make a 14A case. Equal protection may be the winner for our side. But I am a neophyte

Maybe one of the legal eagles can weigh in. Man this looks good to me.

Attachments

• Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017.pdf
      42.8 KB · Views: 105

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    Friends,

I just had a back-and-forth with Kerry Picket of the Daily Caller. Here is a link to the newly revised bill:

https://hudson.house.gov/uploads/Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017.pdf

The new bill deletes the line that would have limited the reciprocal right to carry to non-residents.

a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any
    9 State or political subdivision thereof (except as provided
    10 in subsection (b)) and subject only to the requirements
    11 of this section, a person who is not prohibited by Federal
    12 law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving
    13 a firearm, who is carrying a valid identification document
    14 containing a photograph of the person, and who is car
    15rying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant
    16 to the law of a State and which permits the person to
    17 carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a con
    18 cealed firearm in the State in which the person resides,
    19 may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a
    20 machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped
    21 or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any
    22 State that—

‘‘(1) has a statute under which residents of the
    24 State may apply for a license or permit to carry a
    25 concealed firearm; or
    ‘‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed
    2 firearms by residents of the State for lawful pur
    3poses.

This from Kerry of the Daily Caller:

I updated my first piece to address this issue. A congressional source told me this: "an individual from one of those states may obtain a non-resident CCP from a state that recognizes the right to carry. All CCP holders (whether resident or non-resident) still have to abide by all the laws of the state in which they are carrying concealed."

Here is a pull from her new story, posted today:

This would mean that even law abiding individuals who are residents in tough restrictive gun law states like Maryland, California, and New York, for example, can use a non-resident concealed carry permit from another state, like Utah, to conceal carry in their own state.

I am in New Jersey. If this language survives the bill's arduous journey, you folks in Maryland and myself in New Jersey will finally be able to carry in our own state.

So then it would be possible to have a restricted MD permit but choose to "carry" on a non-resident Utah permit..:rolleyes: interesting!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If this bill is passed using these words, it's a win/win for all involved. As someone else mentioned, if it goes to appeal, the 14th would have more standing that the 10th in my opinion. Particularly once President Trump starts to fill the courts with his appointees. However the SCOTUS isn't an automatic win even after Trump's appointment. I believe we need 1 additional SC justice solidly on our side. Without that, I'm not sure how they would vote. Way too many mixed signals in the past.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No guarantee it would even go to SCOTUS. The DC Circuit is the proper place to put more Trump appointees as well as SCOTUS. If a suit is filed over a Federal law, it will end up in the DC Circuit

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom