• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Not sure if this has been discussed on here yet? I'm in the market for another shotgun and am considering either a Remington 870 or mossberg 500. They are both affordable at the moment. Which would you choose and why? Please do not answer saying "both".

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    This has been done to death. This is like saying Coke or Pepsi. Ford or Chevy. Almond Joy or Mounds. They are both reliable and will get the job done, it's just a matter of choice. Hold both and see which one you like better. I like the safety location of the Mossy better than the Remmy, but that's just me.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I prefer Coke, Chevy, and Benelli.:D

But if I have to choose from those two, I say Remington 870. I don't like how there's a gap between the end of the Mossberg's receiver and the trigger guard. Makes pistol grips a little awkward. Both are solid choices though. My dad has a Mossberg and it's gone bang everytime.

If this going to be a one-role weapon, look at the Benelli Nova as well. Great gun. You just have to be sure to get the barrel length you want as spare barrels are hard to come by.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Oh goodness gracious. This one again.

They're both great guns. They both have large aftermarket available. They are both more than capable for just about whatever you could want out of it. I personally like the mossberg. I have one, it's nice, but I've shot 870's too, and enjoyed them, destroyed some pumpkins with one just this weekend.

Find which feels better for you.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I like both the location of the moss safety and the fact that it has two operating "arms" vs one on the remi. (the connecting arms from bolt to forearm) someone can chime in on the correct name.

However both get the job done.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a Remington 870 and love it, but I would happily buy a Mossberg as well. It really is a matter of preference. They are both great shotguns so find a store that has both and figure out which one you like the best. Here is mine:

DSC_0025-1.jpg

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Mossberg 500/590/590A1 I have a Mossberg 590A1 as my bump in the night gun. I also own an AR built for reliability and accuracy NiB bolt and Lothar Walther match grade barrel. And a Mosin for if I want to bayonet my enemies silently from the comfort of my bed. But after researching everything I trust my life and more importantly my families safety to the Mossberg. I'm planning on buying a Maverick 88 and throwing a Blackhawk Knoxx stock on it as a truck gun.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I like both the location of the moss safety and the fact that it has two operating "arms" vs one on the remi. (the connecting arms from bolt to forearm) someone can chime in on the correct name.

However both get the job done.

Action arms.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Not to confuse things, but don't discount the Ithaca 37 and Winchester 1200.

From R to L: Mossberg 500 12ga, Winchester 1200 12ga, Ithaca 37 12ga, Remington 870 12ga. There's also a Mossberg 500 20ga, but it's not in this pic. :D

181780_10150433692945585_7195844_n.jpg

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    I don't like the feel of the Mossberg - feels cheap to me. I was raised on Remingtons so I'm biased.

BTW, it may have come up before...

Attachments

• zzzzz.png
      zzzzz.png
      5.3 KB · Views: 361

woot57

Oct 12, 2011
    just over the line in PA.
    just recently got a 870 so i am not to sure about it. But I have the same mossberg 500 for 18 years. have shot thousands of rounds threw it and the only problem i have had with it is the thumb safety just recently broke. " no biggie" i will never get rid of the mossberg.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    I like the 870, but either one will do. The one thing I would do to the Mossburg or the 870 Express is to chance out the plastic parts with steel parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom