• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    NOT TRUE!!!

Keep em oiled and you won't have a problem. OP, how do you store it and where? Don't know where you are from but X-ring supply in Newark DE has Eesox, they brought it in for me so please go buy a can so they know they have customers for it. The cans are green camo so they are hard to find on a shelf with lots of other cleaners.

How often and for how many hours at a time have you had it outside in rain, mist, or heavy fog? How much rust comes off if/when you clean it as soon as you get home?

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    How often and for how many hours at a time have you had it outside in rain, mist, or heavy fog? How much rust comes off if/when you clean it as soon as you get home?

I bought it in 1987 and it has seen tons of use out in the duck puddles called the Upper Chesapeake Bay. I tend to always clean after use and have used remoil mainly. The only rust that has ever come off of it is from the bottom side of the rib. The trick for me is to keep oil on it and like I said it has been Remoil. I just started using Eesox.

For the OP, not sure how you store it but do not store in a gun case, this is a NO NO

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I bought it in 1987 and it has seen tons of use out in the duck puddles called the Upper Chesapeake Bay. I tend to always clean after use and have used remoil mainly. The only rust that has ever come off of it is from the bottom side of the rib. The trick for me is to keep oil on it and like I said it has been Remoil. I just started using Eesox.

For the OP, not sure how you store it but do not store in a gun case, this is a NO NO

Should you not store any fire arm in a gun case? The reason I ask is because that's where I store a Mossberg 590A1 that sits under my bed.

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Should you not store any fire arm in a gun case? The reason I ask is because that's where I store a Mossberg 590A1 that sits under my bed.

Thats correct, do not store guns in cases, the cases trap moisture which could make your gun rust. If you want to keep it under the bed do so out of the case and keep it cleaned and a light film of some type of gun oil to keep it from rusting. It wouldn't hurt to wipe it down once a month or so because the side thats on the floor will be the dirst side to rust if it starts.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Thats correct, do not store guns in cases, the cases trap moisture which could make your gun rust. If you want to keep it under the bed do so out of the case and keep it cleaned and a light film of some type of gun oil to keep it from rusting. It wouldn't hurt to wipe it down once a month or so because the side thats on the floor will be the dirst side to rust if it starts.

Will it rust even if it is parkerized? Also, will it help putting silica beads in the case with the shotgun? The reason I ask is because I need the shotgun to stay locked under my bed.

tdt91

Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Will it rust even if it is parkerized? Also, will it help putting silica beads in the case with the shotgun? The reason I ask is because I need the shotgun to stay locked under my bed.

Silica beads can't hurt but if you have to store it that way then make sure you keep it lubed on all metal parts. Check it once a quarter or more if you can.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I've only a couple times ever have rust problems with any of my guns over the 35 years I've been hunting/collecting. Both were slight issues from missing a fingerprint when wiping down after the gun was used or taken to a gun show. HOWEVER, the advice to not store a gun in a gun case is not just because of the possbility of trapped moisture, but also because the fleece and cotton linings of many gun cases will WICK AWAY oil! A nylon or poly lining in a case is much better and silicone impregnated gun socks are better yet. They provide some degree of protection yet do no wick away oil Personally I have a number of firearms and only a couple of soft cases plus a couple of hard cases for transportation of my guns. My guns are stored in my safe after putting on a protecting lube then sleeved with gun socks. The socks help prevent the little 'gun safe handling marks' when taking guns in and out of my safe and are not too thick to allow them to be inserted in the rack easily. I used to see some El-Cheapo socks / sleeves without silicone impregnantation and I would definiotely avoid those. Walmart sell Remington Silicone gun socks for just $4.99...nearly as cheap as those I bought 20 years ago. If for some reason you feel you must keep your gun in a case, you might consider sleeving it with a gun sock first. I don't know about the moisture being trapped, but at least the oil won't be wicked away. BTW, I've never used eesox or balistrol, but may give that some thought in the future myself. Regards

rwatson

Feb 7, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Very nice, I just discovered my 870 safe queen had some rust spots show up. Every other gun in the safe is perfectly fine.

Just ordered Eezox to hopefully correct the issue. Do I need to go over the spots w/ any type of wool prior to applying?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, how do cases ABSORB moisture? They are open cell foam, if the humidity goes up, they get some moist air inside, then when the humidity goes down, the moisture leaves. Like a sponge or washcloth.

I use Birchwood Casey Sheath, now they make a similar product called Barricade.

I have guns that were stored for over 15 years in gun cases, and about half that time in an un-air conditioned house in a VERY moist area. No rust.

MAKINTRAX

Nov 7, 2008
    Harford County MD
    I bought a new Remington 870 Express that, even with lube and maintenance, started showing rust after just a few months. Then I read that this was normal for this gun. I cleaned it up as best I could, sold it, and bought a Mossberg 500 Persuader. And now a year later, it's like new with no rust.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I put a thin layer of Slip2000 EWL30 on the barrel, mag tube, and receiver after bringing it home from the shop and cleaning it. I let it sit over night and then did it again the next day. After each cleaning, I finish with the same. No rust yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom