• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I've often looked at these in magazines and wanted one in .223.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they quality?

I just want to know before I start searching too hard for one.

BTW, if you have one or know anyone that want to sell (individual or IP), let me know.

-Justin

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    They are really good guns. My father has the .223 and even though it has 1/12 twist with good handloads it will do touching groups at $100 yards. I have the 7.62*39 and it doesnt load as reliably and groups a little wider (on surplus) but is a really handy gun.

Construction is ok blueing is generally a little weak. Actions are rough but smooth out.

Biggest thing is the trigger which is a blessing and curse, they are really bad out of the box and a pain to adjust but once you adjust them they are actually very good.

Id snag another at the right price, they have been imported under many names but are really just Zastava guns. The remington imports had some of the best fit and finish and a nice laminate stock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They are essentially the previously know Interarms Mark X Mauser (mini) bbl'ed action in an ADL patterned laminated stock. Since I like Mark X actions well enough , and think the ADL pattern is a decent quasi Classic stock design , it would be win-win for me. Different preferences may vary.

At one point the factory shut down due to the warfare in Serbia, not sure of current status.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Weren't these being sold by Charles Daly until Remington stole the contract from CD?

Yup,

Interarms,
    Remington
    Charles Daly
    EAA

All have had variations, the Rems have the best bluing and only ones with the Laminate (us made) stock. I still give most of them a thumbs up.

Biggest bummer is the bolt handle is hard to fit a scope on.

softailrider

Feb 24, 2012
    I have one that I've been working with for about two years. It's a good rifle with some drawbacks. It has a very stiff action that has not smoothed up much in about 500 rounds, the trigger is the worst I've ever experience in any gun. Rough, gritty, probablly breaks at about 12 lbs. It's a nice light rifle, bolt handle is NOT full size, extraction is okay, that seems to have improved over rounds fired.

At the very nice range I go to here in Michigan, with really solid benches and seating I can get some sub one inch three shot groups with cheap brass case .223 factory ammo. The expensive stuff didn't seem to group any better. As far as 3 shot groups touching, I don't think that's happened to often. Wrestling with that horrible trigger doesn't help.

Any other questions, just let me know.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    From the sound of it, I would look at CZ rather than these. The CZ 527 comes in .223, as well as other calibers, has a single set trigger, deep bluing and is very accurate.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    From the sound of it, I would look at CZ rather than these. The CZ 527 comes in .223, as well as other calibers, has a single set trigger, deep bluing and is very accurate.

I was under the impression that the remingtons were the Cz. Now that I know better I think id rather go with the Cz. Can you still get the 527?

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I was under the impression that the remingtons were the Cz. Now that I know better I think id rather go with the Cz. Can you still get the 527?

Yes you can! I picked on up from the CZ vendor at the Dulles show a couple months ago. I haven't actually had a chance to shoot it yet, but it's a quality piece and the trigger seems fantastic. Here's a thread that I started:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=72961

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have one that I've been working with for about two years. It's a good rifle with some drawbacks. It has a very stiff action that has not smoothed up much in about 500 rounds, the trigger is the worst I've ever experience in any gun. Rough, gritty, probablly breaks at about 12 lbs. It's a nice light rifle, bolt handle is NOT full size, extraction is okay, that seems to have improved over rounds fired.

At the very nice range I go to here in Michigan, with really solid benches and seating I can get some sub one inch three shot groups with cheap brass case .223 factory ammo. The expensive stuff didn't seem to group any better. As far as 3 shot groups touching, I don't think that's happened to often. Wrestling with that horrible trigger doesn't help.

Any other questions, just let me know.

I wouldnt count this gun out, I really wouldn't if you find one at a good price. Yours sounds like an odball.

For example, the trigger is highly adjustable, a little trouble to do just from the time it takes to tune it. Both mine and my fathers started at about 10 pounds and they have been adjusted down to 3. Far superior to the set trigger on my CZ527. Honestly you could adjust these down to a hair (did a couple times until I got it right). Both drive tacks. Bolt on both smoothed out after about 100 rds, there are some cruder milling areas but not many. Bluing is as solid as the CZ (I have a CZ527). Where the CZ gets an advantage is in 7.62x39 as there single stack mags work better than the double stack mag well for feeding. The issue is the 799 magwell was never shortened to accomodate the shorter round and it is easy to set the cartridges back to far, you get the hang of it though. This isnt an issue on the .223.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The CZ 527's trigger is adjustable for pull weight and length of travel.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The CZ 527's trigger is adjustable for pull weight and length of travel.

Yup I know, I just really like the 799 trigger once you get them adjusted, so light with any amount of take-up you want. I have both afterall!

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Zastava used to make the barrels, and Remington would make the stock.

Rem 799 in 7.62X39

Note: there is no bullet guide in a 799. You will have to force the bolt home.

Attachments

• Remington 799 (Large).jpg
      Remington 799 (Large).jpg
      29.5 KB · Views: 906

softailrider

Feb 24, 2012
    I wouldnt count this gun out, I really wouldn't if you find one at a good price. Yours sounds like an odball.

For example, the trigger is highly adjustable, a little trouble to do just from the time it takes to tune it. Both mine and my fathers started at about 10 pounds and they have been adjusted down to 3. Far superior to the set trigger on my CZ527. Honestly you could adjust these down to a hair (did a couple times until I got it right). Both drive tacks. Bolt on both smoothed out after about 100 rds, there are some cruder milling areas but not many. Bluing is as solid as the CZ (I have a CZ527). Where the CZ gets an advantage is in 7.62x39 as there single stack mags work better than the double stack mag well for feeding. The issue is the 799 magwell was never shortened to accomodate the shorter round and it is easy to set the cartridges back to far, you get the hang of it though. This isnt an issue on the .223.

I'm not a real big "take it to the gunsmith type" unless something breaks. I like leaving my guns as factory as possible.

Bluing is nice on my gun, bolt really has not smoothed out much at all after about 500 rounds. I wouldn't call mine a tack driver either, out of 5 shot groups, 3 in less then an inch isn't uncommon. Best 5 shot group was about an inch and a quarter. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 on it with a 2 piece mount. I'm not that great of a shot either.

Federal brass case from Wallmart is what I usually shoot. I tried some expensive stuff once, results were about the same.

Pretty good rifle, it's nice and light.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yup I know, I just really like the 799 trigger once you get them adjusted, so light with any amount of take-up you want. I have both afterall!

I didn't post that for you, your post said that the 799 was adjustable down to 3lb and then said it was superior to the CZ, as if the CZ wasn't as adjustable.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I didn't post that for you, your post said that the 799 was adjustable down to 3lb and then said it was superior to the CZ, as if the CZ wasn't as adjustable.

Not trying to start a war over the difference between these guns, they are both decent and have there pros and cons.

Its just the 799's trigger that is incredible and better than anything else I have after adjustment. Frankly I could have taken that trigger down to 1.5 easily but that just is to touchy even for a bench gun, even allowing for some take-up. I do think it is a far superior trigger in simplicity and feel to the CZ, but opinions are cheap.

Now one thing I wanted to mention is the 799 has some weaknesses. The biggest is the bolt handle which requires such as short scope or one mounted very high (see our colleague's photo above). I have a Bushnell 4x that i had laying around on mine and its a good fit but any of the zoom scopes are going to be troublesome. These guns were a surpreme value sub $400, but prices have crept up and at the $500+ price points I would probably lean more towards a CZ or a Savage.

Second is an issue that both the Zastava and the CZ share, which is twist rate. Unless CZ has recently changed there twist, both were running 1:12 for .223 which is fine for 55 grn and lower projectiles but really limits your options. My CZ seems to stabilize up to 62 grain well and that is pushing it. But 55grn flat based ballistic tips work best in the 799/Zastava. You will likely have problems with heavier bullets.

I have noticed that SOME of CZ's line (e.g. 527) now are in 1:9 which would be a better fit. If you go CZ and have any wish to run heavier bullets make sure you get a 1:9 model.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    TSS..I have one on 7.62x39..I think its a sweet looking gun. The blue on mine is very nice. It shoulders well also..If we can hook up on one of those Savage rifles, I'll bring it along and show you..

MSgtZ

May 23, 2009
    Mechanicsville
    i brought one in 223 from Bass Pro a couple of years ago on sale for $329. The bluing is real deep and the laminate stock is really nice. Fit and finish are excellent. Finding the scope mounts was the hardest part. Now the trigger from the factory (at least on mine) is as nice as the Timney that I put into my old Mauser 98. Nice and crisp with about a 4 pound pull. I should have brought two at the time, the 223 I got and one in 7.62x39, but I couldn't get two past the wife at the sametime.:o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom