• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Bored so decided to go to my favorite local gun shop to see what they had, shelves were pretty bare, due to the times they are having a hard time getting any firearms.
    I spied one lonely used rifle sitting in the rack, took a look at it and turned out to be a Remington 700 Police .308 26" barrel with a very nice Leupold VariXIII 6.5- 20 Long Range sitting on it and a Harris bipod, has parkerized finish and a HS Precision stock with the aluminum bedding block. Seemed to be a reasonable price considering the cost of the scope so whipped out the credit card.
    Got it home and checked barrel codes and Leupold date codes, both the rifle and scope date from 2003. Remington did sell complete packages but the scope was usually a Leupold 10X. Reticle is just a simple mil dot.
    Really was just looking for a cheap 700 to use the action for a custom build but looks like will need to see how this thing shoots first.
    Sorry for poor pics, lousy day for pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5308.jpg
      IMG_5308.jpg
      110.3 KB · Views: 1,068
    • IMG_5310 (1).jpg
      IMG_5310 (1).jpg
      106.1 KB · Views: 921
    • IMG_5314.jpg
      IMG_5314.jpg
      115.2 KB · Views: 938
    • IMG_5313.jpg
      IMG_5313.jpg
      104.9 KB · Views: 944

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I have one I bought new from Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring in the 80's when Remington wasn't promoting then expect to Law Enforcement . It is one of the best shooting guns out of the box I ever had without going custom . Mine loves 168gr Match Kings .

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Nice. I’ve got the same one 2001 vintage. 10x leupold. It’s a tack driver. Usually friends favorite rifle at the range because it makes everyone look like a good shooter.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    great find..nice, looks good, I'd buy it also..sorta, kinda put a cramp
    in the action route.You were headed in, if it shoots good keep it and
    another action will come along. was buying rifles from Wally World
    just for the actions they had Rem 700's in 22-250, 243, cheap
    $185-$225 range (closeout), had them call other stores also. All I
    needed was the Action with the proper bolt face (short action),they
    also had 700ADL's with scope .223 for under $200. wish I'd bought a
    long action (30-06) they had want a "Swede" bad.

Keep it shoot it work up some loads 168-175's all is great..
    -Rock

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If it has the enclosed mag, it is a PSS. Police Sniper System. Remington stopped selling them to the public due to complaints about selling a "sniper" rifle. Even though it was the same rifle as a Sendero, except black instead of gray.

For civilian sales, it was replaced by the PS-1, which is virtually identical, except it had a detachable box magazine (similar to the 740/760 mags). But it was NOT a "sniper." rifle.

My long range rifle started as a PS-1. I should put the stock up for sale, along with several spare mags.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    If it has the enclosed mag, it is a PSS. Police Sniper System. Remington stopped selling them to the public due to complaints about selling a "sniper" rifle. Even though it was the same rifle as a Sendero, except black instead of gray.

For civilian sales, it was replaced by the PS-1, which is virtually identical, except it had a detachable box magazine (similar to the 740/760 mags). But it was NOT a "sniper." rifle.

My long range rifle started as a PS-1. I should put the stock up for sale, along with several spare mags.

Enclosed mag, does not have the box mag.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    great find..nice, looks good, I'd buy it also..sorta, kinda put a cramp
    in the action route.You were headed in, if it shoots good keep it and
    another action will come along. was buying rifles from Wally World
    just for the actions they had Rem 700's in 22-250, 243, cheap
    $185-$225 range (closeout), had them call other stores also. All I
    needed was the Action with the proper bolt face (short action),they
    also had 700ADL's with scope .223 for under $200. wish I'd bought a
    long action (30-06) they had want a "Swede" bad.

Keep it shoot it work up some loads 168-175's all is great..
    -Rock

It possibly does put a cramp on the whole action thing but as you state there are plenty of cheap 700's out there.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Those old PSS rifles are great shooters, extremely accurate with the right load. Had several of them back when they came out. Even had a couple of early .223's. Too bad the early .223 version had a 1-12 twist. Later barrels switched to 1-9 twist. I would leave it as is and look for another action to build on.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Those old PSS rifles are great shooters, extremely accurate with the right load. Had several of them back when they came out. Even had a couple of early .223's. Too bad the early .223 version had a 1-12 twist. Later barrels switched to 1-9 twist. I would leave it as is and look for another action to build on.

Yea, I'm going to leave it and see how it shoots, I understand they may be great shooters. It came with Leopold rings and base but the rings had the scope set really high, had a set of lower rings I threw on. Wonder if there was any reason for the high rings.

Attachments

• Image 2-15-22 at 10.11 AM.jpg
      Image 2-15-22 at 10.11 AM.jpg
      95.8 KB · Views: 758

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Yea, I'm going to leave it and see how it shoots, I understand they may be great shooters.
    The PSS from that era was usually a good shooter. Later guns got flaky. As suggested above, try FGMM 168s.
    It came with Leopold rings and base but the rings had the scope set really high, had a set of lower rings I threw on.
    Good move. Rings should always be as low as possible, allowing minimum clearance for the objective housing and lens covers.
    Wonder if there was any reason for the high rings.
    Some people think the higher rings look cool. Unless the previous owner had a disability (neck brace), high rings like that are a big disadvantage.

Even with 'low' rings, you're probably going to need to build the cheekpiece up for a proper cheek(bone) weld while aligned with the scope. Many people automatically/unconsciously raise their face to see through the scope, lose solid contact and destroy stability.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Mine shooting factory hornady at 200 yards. The gun is unmolested and completely as it left the factory

Attachments

• 554C4927-30BD-4D69-B091-89D4F444145D.jpg
      554C4927-30BD-4D69-B091-89D4F444145D.jpg
      55.5 KB · Views: 295

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    In the '90s I had a Remington PSS in .308...didn't like the stock as the palm swell was way too large to be comfortable. I put it in an Accuracy International chassis but eventually sold it. The finish kept surface rusting for some reason no matter how well it was maintained. It wasn't one of Remington's best efforts in my own limited experience. A buddy had a similar Remington PSS...he loved his with no issues at all.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Yea, I'm going to leave it and see how it shoots, I understand they may be great shooters. It came with Leopold rings and base but the rings had the scope set really high, had a set of lower rings I threw on. Wonder if there was any reason for the high rings.

The rings are probably because the buyer either didn't know better or because that is what was in stock at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom