• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 11, 2013
    Hi All,

First post. I live in Ellicott City, and am looking to purchase reloading dies and other reloading components. Can you recommend stores in Baltimore/Howard county areas?

Vision

Apr 10, 2011
    Havre de Grace, MD
    The only place i know of in that area is Bass Pro, but there stuff is pricier than if you order online.

Theres a nice shop up in newark deleware canned X ring Supply but that would be a bit of a hike from your area.

Depending on what type of reloading you are looking at (Pistol/Rifle vs Shotshell) you way want to look at FSReloading.com, they sell Lee reloading equipment which is very cost effective if you are just getting into things.

I would also recommend picking up some reloadings books first, read through all of them carefully and make a list of all the equipment you will need. For reloading you want to know what you are doing first, not something you plan to figure out via trial and error.

Good luck and feel free to post any questions that pop up for you :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Wreck

Mar 9, 2012
    Bethesda
    2A, an IP here, sometimes has primers in stock. I heard Bass Pro Shops at Arundel Mills had powders and primers in stock lately, they also carry dies, presses, and other reloading supplies but not sure what's in stock now. I recommend buying powder and primers locally if you can find them to avoid the hazmat shipping costs, the other supplies you should be able to find online.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When comparing local to online remember, local has to add tax. BUT, online has shipping and for powder and primers, hazmat fees. Hazmat runs $20 - $27.50 PER ORDER. So order 1 pound of powder, you pay the full fee. Order 50 pounds of powder, you pay the full fee.

But the big issue is, NO ONE has a great stock of supplies. You get WHAT you can get, WHEN you can get it.

Bass Pro has powder and primers in stock every so often. But you cannot just walk in and get X powder and Y primer. Same with all the other stores. Same with online stores.

And some powders are VERY hard to find.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Local Only?

Maryland Reloader R has Dillion Dies (I think will work in any 7/8 press), Primers and Powder (call before heading out) the only problem with them is he requires the recordation of you lic. number for powder, primer sales.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Reloading is in many ways a closet and a niche industry, and especially in this state. You'll find yourself wanting (and oftentimes having) to source different components at different places. That's typically your best and oftentimes your only option. It isn't easy to find everything you need at a price you'd want to pay under one roof, even in good times, and especially in your area. Bass Pro as mentioned makes an attempt to be perceived as a reloading center. But they are light years away from being a good one in my opinion. Part of that is the current climate in fairness to them, as well as a lack of competition generally.

You might want to post some specifics regarding just exactly what you're looking to load, and what you're looking to achieve with reloading generally. As alluded to above, "measure twice and cut once" is a good mindset to have when it comes to this topic. Components and information are both available, but when it comes to sourcing either, it's like anything else. It becomes a whole lot easier once you know where to look, and once you know how.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    As I said, there are plenty of places that NORMALLY carry reloading supplies.

But NOW, everything is in short supply, so NO ONE has a good stock and variety.

Even the big online stores do not have a large stock or variety. A popular powder, like Varget, will sell out hundreds of pounds in a few hours at most.

It IS getting better, but still not anywhere close to where it once was.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What are you going to reload?

As a recently new reloader I can add:
    Gun shows in Va or Pa can be a resource too if you are already going to them. I picked up a needed die and primers at the recent Chantilly show at a competitive price.

Lunchbox

Nov 8, 2007
    AA Co.
    I live near Bass Pro and they do NOT have a good stock of powders. Their shelf shows empty jugs but it doesn't reflect what they really have in the back. I managed to snag a pound of RL17 but they didn't have much/any powder beyond that. For powder and primer I just call Bass Pro every few days and keep my eyes out on the classifieds here (scored 2lbs of Varget the other day).

Bass Pro had brass on the shelf the last few weeks (even .223) but I think it was pretty pricey.

I've been keeping an eye open on:

www.natchezss.com

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

www.grafs.com

... and midwayusa of course

soghap

Mar 4, 2012
    Catonsville, Md
    It's definitely a hit or miss mission. Don't know when all the supply issues are going to let up. I order my dies online direct from dillon. They came quicker than I thought. My 45 die broke and I had to send it back. I had the warranty replacement back in less than a week. Can't say enough about their warranty service!!

Dukes Defense

Oct 2, 2012
    2A, an IP here, sometimes has primers in stock. I heard Bass Pro Shops at Arundel Mills had powders and primers in stock lately, they also carry dies, presses, and other reloading supplies but not sure what's in stock now. I recommend buying powder and primers locally if you can find them to avoid the hazmat shipping costs, the other supplies you should be able to find online.

+1 Check in with 2A. They are starting to carry Dillon equipment and if you know what you want he can check on availability. Dillon pricing is fixed, so everyone basically (is supposed) charge the same price. Midway USA website has been getting primers in stock off and on lately. Price with shipping and Hazmat fees are reasonable ie same as buying local. Good luck and have fun. Its a great way to pass the time.

Peyman

Jan 24, 2013
    Baltimore City
    Hi All,

First post. I live in Ellicott City, and am looking to purchase reloading dies and other reloading components. Can you recommend stores in Baltimore/Howard county areas?
    Try Accurate Pawn and Tackle Washington Blvd in Elkridge I was in there a few days ago and noticed he had both small and large pistol and rifle CCI primers in the case at the counter.

That is all I noticed while I was there picking up my revolver. Did not see any presses dies or powder but was not looking for them while I was there. But getting your hands on primers locally is always a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom