• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    Okay all I have a blank slate and would like all input you want to give me.

I am looking for all info that will give me the best setup the first time so I don't have to take things apart and rework the design. The main things I'm looking for to get me started are as follows.

• What material to build the bench of to give me the ridgity I need (I'm thinking the bench will run the entire back wall, about 11' with a brace in the middle)
    • Bench depth (3'?)
    • Bench height (sit in front of or with legs under like a desk? Ergonomics being key if I plan to put a couple hours in at the press)
    • Storage ideas? I am a little OCD and organizaton makes me calm :)
    Really im looking for things you guys have done and have loved or have chalked up as a failure.

I'm working with the back of my shed and it is truely a blank slate as you can see in the picture below. I plan to put a wall up to give me a room about 11'wide by 8'deep. I will be running electric and heating this room.

I have read through the lets see your benches thread but if there are other threads you guys know of with good info post a link and I will get to reading. Thanks in advance for any pointers. I will keep the pic's coming with progress as it is made.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Here's what I use for work benches and work tables. 37.5" height, works well with a 26" stool. Height comes from the top sitting on 3' 4x4s. Top is a sandwich of 3/4" oak plywood and 3/4" particle board (glued and screwed together). A 36" depth might be a little much, I'd recommend about 26". I'd use 2 braces for 11'. I also have a lower shelf/footrest about 4" off the ground.

Put plenty of outlets in the bench, plan for lighting.

I'm no expert, but have put together several. PM with questions.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I built my bench using doubled 2x4s for legs. 6 legs for a just under 8' long bench.

The top is double thickness of 3/4" ply, glued and screwed, then a matte white laminate.

I made mine 24" deep. Much more and it is long reach.

There is a lower shelf, that I keep bullets on for stability.

It is plenty sturdy for my Dillon 650 with case feeder and a single stage press.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Especially if you presently (or one day will) load for numerous cartridges, give some considerable thought to component storage.

One, components very quickly become numerous in terms of their variety. You ideally want to be able to see what you do and don't have available at a glance.

Two, components stored in volume are surprisingly HEAVY. That box of 500 bullets you're looking at, though small in size, may itself weigh 15-18 pounds.

Think numerous small packages to identify, the likelihood of inventory expansion, and significant cumulative weight. Flimsy household type shelving typically won't cut it.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Eastern Shore of MD, you seriously need to consider the storage/working conditions in your shed. Hotter than h3ll and humid in the summertime, Cold and dry (static electricity) in the wintertime. Not great conditions for your powder or you. Been there, done that, ex-chickennecker here....Federalsburg and Kent Island.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The bench needs to be substantial enough to hold up under the most stressful activity you are going to do, swaging bullets or doing neck-sizing using collets for example.

You can add weight by having a shelf/storage underneath to keep your bullets/etc. on.

I would highly recommend a smooth top like formica because it will make spills of powder, primers, easier to clean up.

If you aren't going to have climate control I would store your powder and primers where there is and only bring out what you need.

BALBZ

bad ass LBZ that is
    Apr 6, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    What kind of press(es) do/will you have?

Redding T7 turret currently. I have future plans for a progressive press but that's not a reality for a few years.

Eastern Shore of MD, you seriously need to consider the storage/working conditions in your shed. Hotter than h3ll and humid in the summertime, Cold and dry (static electricity) in the wintertime. Not great conditions for your powder or you. Been there, done that, ex-chickennecker here....Federalsburg and Kent Island.

Untill I get my new pole building this is all I have to work with. My wife want's a master bath/walk in closet addition and a new kitchen before I get my pole building so you can probably guess when that will be :sad20:

Are you going to insulate the walls and ceiling? Air conditioning in summer?

Yes the end result will be a fully insulated room that has heat and AC but it will only be climate controlled when in use. I plan to keep my powder in the house and primers in the safe but everything else will be stored out there.

Here's what I use for work benches and work tables. 37.5" height, works well with a 26" stool. Height comes from the top sitting on 3' 4x4s. Top is a sandwich of 3/4" oak plywood and 3/4" particle board (glued and screwed together). A 36" depth might be a little much, I'd recommend about 26". I'd use 2 braces for 11'. I also have a lower shelf/footrest about 4" off the ground.

Put plenty of outlets in the bench, plan for lighting.

I'm no expert, but have put together several. PM with questions.

Just the kind of info I'm looking for :party29:

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I built my bench using doubled 2x4s for legs. 6 legs for a just under 8' long bench.

The top is double thickness of 3/4" ply, glued and screwed, then a matte white laminate.

I made mine 24" deep. Much more and it is long reach.

There is a lower shelf, that I keep bullets on for stability.

It is plenty sturdy for my Dillon 650 with case feeder and a single stage press.

On most of my workbenches, I also used doubled 3/4ths plywood as the top, but then a sacrificial layer of tempered masonite on top of that. Instead of gluing it down, I just used 3/4th inch brads to tack it to the plywood. That way, it can be easily replaced when it gets too scarred up. To hide the plywood edge, I wrapped the top in a band of red oak.

For my newest benchtop, I bought a used thick commercial wood door at Second Chance in Baltimore, then ripped it to the right width.

JoeR

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Yes the end result will be a fully insulated room that has heat and AC but it will only be climate controlled when in use. I plan to keep my powder in the house and primers in the safe but everything else will be stored out there.

Keep a close eye on rust and corrosion. Not a good environment for reloading equipment.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    On most of my workbenches, I also used doubled 3/4ths plywood as the top, but then a sacrificial layer of tempered masonite on top of that. Instead of gluing it down, I just used 3/4th inch brads to tack it to the plywood. That way, it can be easily replaced when it gets too scarred up. To hide the plywood edge, I wrapped the top in a band of red oak.

For my newest benchtop, I bought a used thick commercial wood door at Second Chance in Baltimore, then ripped it to the right width.

JoeR

I do that for real work benches. My reloading benches don't have the type of work that damages the surface.

The white laminate makes it easy to see things that you drop on the bench top.

The matte prevents glare.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I picked up a 2 bulb shop light fixture and snagged 2 LED T8 bulbs for it. Total cost came to 32 bucks including MD sales tax. I hit Lowe's for the stuff. I'm going back in a few weeks to get 2 more to put up in my garage.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Too much moisture. Your gear and powder will hate it. Not to mention the temperature swings. Sorry to be negative. Just hate to see your money go down the drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom