• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which primers do you use for your .223 reloads for AR-15?

• Small rifle military primers

Votes: 15 20.0%
    • Small rifle primers

Votes: 59 78.7%
    • Small pistol primers

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use mainly CCI #450 Small Rifle Magnum primers.

These and the #41 military primers are almost exactly the same, except the #41 has a few thousandths more distance between the cup and anvil. Same cup, same primer compound and amount.

Also Remington 7 1/2. This is what Remington loaded in mil ammo when they had the contract to run the lines.

I do not run non-magnum primers or ANY Federal primers in 5.56 gas guns. Too much risk of slam fires.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I love how these thread artifacts keep circling back around. Between the primer discussion and the 3% antimony it is hard to decide which one was more of a classic

---
    Shamr0ck

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I love how these thread artifacts keep circling back around. Between the primer discussion and the 3% antimony it is hard to decide which one was more of a classic

---
    Shamr0ck

I should start a poll just on that. Which one of these two threads is more "EPIC", antimony or small pistol primers? I cannot get either of them out of my head, and on top of that had a debate with him comparing Barnes X bullets for the muzzleloader with his bullets made from molds. I tried to buy some reloading stuff from him and that was also a fiasco.

Of course, somebody just HAD to pick "small pistol primers" in the poll. However, looks like those using small rifle primers out number those that use military primers by a 5 to 1 margin. Think I will start with small rifle primers and see what the result ends up being since I can use those primers for .222 Rem loads too.

The second I have a slam fire, I'll be switching to the CCI #41 primers.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I use mainly CCI #450 Small Rifle Magnum primers.

These and the #41 military primers are almost exactly the same, except the #41 has a few thousandths more distance between the cup and anvil. Same cup, same primer compound and amount.

Also Remington 7 1/2. This is what Remington loaded in mil ammo when they had the contract to run the lines.

I do not run non-magnum primers or ANY Federal primers in 5.56 gas guns. Too much risk of slam fires.

this. this. this. all of this.

I use wolf/tula and cci SRM

Zatoichi

Nov 12, 2014
    In order of preference: CCI small magnum, then Winchester. Not much experience with Federal or Remington--CCI & Winchester are available locally.

I do use the military caps, but only if I find them the same price--or cheaper--which ain't often these days.

ETA: clarification

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yep. Small rifle, small pistol, large rifle, large pistol, small pistol magnum, and #41's are in stock at 2A Sales. And all are CCI.

I'm going to check with my FFL in Carroll County first. Looks like both places are the same distance from me, but he isn't in the "city".

What are prices like at 2A Sales for CCI small rifle primers and CCI #41. I sent a PM to 2a Sales last night asking for prices, but nobody has gotten back to me yet. Not that I expect them to write back on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

If I needed powder or some other primers, I would just order all of this from Midway or some other online retailer, but these primers are about all I need for right now, and maybe some small pistol primers.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Loaded well over ten thousand .223 with CCI 400 primers without issue.

Was leery about Wolf primers at first, but I keep hearing they're not bad. May have to try some under a chrono to check the SD and ES values.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Loaded well over ten thousand .223 with CCI 400 primers without issue.

Was leery about Wolf primers at first, but I keep hearing they're not bad. May have to try some under a chrono to check the SD and ES values.

After I got my shyt together on the .223 loads, the Wolf SRP's performed very consistently for me.

I'd have to dig up my data, but the values were low and consistent for me with 69gr and 75gr rounds.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I should start a poll just on that. Which one of these two threads is more "EPIC", antimony or small pistol primers? I cannot get either of them out of my head, and on top of that had a debate with him comparing Barnes X bullets for the muzzleloader with his bullets made from molds. I tried to buy some reloading stuff from him and that was also a fiasco.

Of course, somebody just HAD to pick "small pistol primers" in the poll. However, looks like those using small rifle primers out number those that use military primers by a 5 to 1 margin. Think I will start with small rifle primers and see what the result ends up being since I can use those primers for .222 Rem loads too.

The second I have a slam fire, I'll be switching to the CCI #41 primers.

fab,

I've been shooting AR since 1993 or '94, in both High Power Rifle Competition (local club stuff) and for groundhog 'poppin'.

Cleaning the primer pocket (to me) is one of my routine items.
    I've NEVER had an issue with Federal primers, even though there are those 'experts' that claim to never use them, because they cause slam fires.

I've used (literally!) THOUSANDS of Federal and Winchester primers in .223/5.56mm, and in .30-'06 for my M1 Garand.
    I've used mostly Winchester primers in my M1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom