• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Not true.

Only those made during the Federal ban period are missing the flash suppressors and/or bayonet lugs.

I have an HBAR Sporter, cash and carry, that has the flash suppressor but no bayonet lug. It was made and purchased in the Federal ban period.

People get worried because the MD regulated list says AR-15s and "copies and imitations." But the HBAR exemption does not.

BUT, wording was added at teh top of the regulated list, covering ALL items on the list, that mentioned "copies and imitations."

This is because, with the list was made, they did cover the copies and imitations of the basic AR, but there were no HBARs other than the Colt. They later added the "copies and imitations" wording to the entire list after someone figured out that if you changed the name, it was not longer on the list.

Good point - thanks.

Chaplain America

Bitter Clinger
    Mar 14, 2013
    Frederick
    In general, if no part of the barrel is thinner than where the gas block mounts, it should be an HBAR.

The standard AR barrel profile has the barrel thinner under the handguard to reduce weight.

M4 and others also have the thin portion to mount the M203 grenade launcher, so two thin areas.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I finally understand the difference.

Feb 28, 2013
    It is, however, entirely, mind numbingly irritating to have a dealer tell you the rifles you are having shipped in are unregulated only to get there and do the paperwork and they changed their mind to "regulated" because they want to be on the "safe side" now that they have your guns and won't contact MSP to clarify their unregulated status or ship them to a more knowledgeable FFL without charging you their $75 transfer fee + shipping costs. Talking from experience on my former FFL :mad54::tdown:

I would absolute hit the freakin' ceiling if someone pulled this crap with me. Thankfully it hasn't happened.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    i have read the law numerous times as late as tonight. teh law states that only colt match target hbar is excempt. i have not seen and exemption from msp and if anyopne has such a thing i would love to read it. our store is only using thelaw as written. like i said if i could see a copy i would love to have it

Call MSP, they will tell you that any AR that you can articulate has a heavy barrel, stamped or not, can be sold cash and carry. Try Cpl. Edwards.

This is not new, they have been saying this for a very long time. I was in the same boat as you when we went into business, and I'm not slamming you for sticking to what is available in print, but a quick call set me on the right path and cleared a lot more guns out of my doors. ;)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    i have read the law numerous times as late as tonight. teh law states that only colt match target hbar is excempt. i have not seen and exemption from msp and if anyopne has such a thing i would love to read it. our store is only using thelaw as written. like i said if i could see a copy i would love to have it

This has previously been discussed adnauseum. Do a search for the subject and you will find a thread that had 20 pages of discussion, argument, and disagreement on the subject.

The thread also has several things to help you answer your question above.

1) a copy of a letter from MSP back 1998 (?) stating that the Bushmaster HBAR was also exempt (cash and carry).

2) word for word phone conversation by several MDS members to MSP with the answer to the HBAR question (i.e. Any HBAR that can be articulated as HBAR is exempt, not just the COLT Sporter HBAR).

I really hope this thread doesn't go 20 pages, that one took a toll on several of us. (Paging Merlin)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This has previously been discussed adnauseum. Do a search for the subject and you will find a thread that had 20 pages of discussion, argument, and disagreement on the subject.

The thread also has several things to help you answer your question above.

1) a copy of a letter from MSP back 1998 (?) stating that the Bushmaster HBAR was also exempt (cash and carry).

2) word for word phone conversation by several MDS members to MSP with the answer to the HBAR question (i.e. Any HBAR that can be articulated as HBAR is exempt, not just the COLT Sporter HBAR).

I really hope this thread doesn't go 20 pages, that one took a toll on several of us. (Paging Merlin)

Here is the link to the previous discussion earlier this year: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=116893&highlight=HBAR

Post with the Letter from MSP: http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2378316&postcount=128

Post with phone conversation with MSP LD: http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2383132&postcount=236

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom