• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    With the exemption of the colt sporter Hbar from the regulated list, and the what seems to be almost universal (and supported by the MSP) interpretation that all or at least some AR15 type HBARS are therefore exempted (not regulated), Then is a Rock River Arms NM LAR15 (20" heavy barrel") non regulated?

I ask because I have one on the way and so far 2 FFLS have said they consider it regulated.

Are there any FFLS who would not treat the LAR15 NM as regulated and who are accepting transfers?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Any AR15 rifle with a heavy profile barrel is cash and carry. I believe there is a statement from MSP on this.

Feb 28, 2013
    What 2 dealers are stupid enough to consider that regulated?

So the rest of us will know to go elsewhere.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    Actually, both are good guys, and both are doing "on time" release and did all they could to get peoples' purchases out to them as soon as possible. I don't think stupid has anything to do with it- there is too much vagueness in the law, too much room for interpretation for me to make a criticism.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    It is always good to check with a dealer on a specific firearm that is commonly believed to be unregulated to make sure they too believe it is a cash and carry affair. At the very least it is common courtesy, but I just suggest getting it in writing via email before you finalize shipment.

It is, however, entirely, mind numbingly irritating to have a dealer tell you the rifles you are having shipped in are unregulated only to get there and do the paperwork and they changed their mind to "regulated" because they want to be on the "safe side" now that they have your guns and won't contact MSP to clarify their unregulated status or ship them to a more knowledgeable FFL without charging you their $75 transfer fee + shipping costs. Talking from experience on my former FFL :mad54::tdown:

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    It is always good to check with a dealer on a specific firearm that is commonly believed to be unregulated to make sure they too believe it is a cash and carry affair. At the very least it is common courtesy, but I just suggest getting it in writing via email before you finalize shipment.

It is, however, entirely, mind numbingly irritating to have a dealer tell you the rifles you are having shipped in are unregulated only to get there and do the paperwork and they changed their mind to "regulated" because they want to be on the "safe side" now that they have your guns and won't contact MSP to clarify their unregulated status or ship them to a more knowledgeable FFL without charging you their $75 transfer fee + shipping costs. Talking from experience on my former FFL :mad54::tdown:

There is more money in it for the FFL's who treat an unregulated firearm transfere as regulated...:o:D IMO, being on the safe side or being knowledgeable has nothing to do with it.:tdown:

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    There is more money in it for the FFL's who treat an unregulated firearm transfere as regulated...:o:D IMO, being on the safe side or being knowledgeable has nothing to do with it.:tdown:

That so?

Safe space is free?
    MD checks are free?
    Phone calls are free?

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    With the exemption of the colt sporter Hbar from the regulated list, and the what seems to be almost universal (and supported by the MSP) interpretation that all or at least some AR15 type HBARS are therefore exempted (not regulated), Then is a Rock River Arms NM LAR15 (20" heavy barrel") non regulated?

I ask because I have one on the way and so far 2 FFLS have said they consider it regulated.

Are there any FFLS who would not treat the LAR15 NM as regulated and who are accepting transfers?

The Colt "Sporters", or Match Targets, with HBAR, do not have flash suppressors or bayonet lugs. That could be were the concern comes from?

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013

The profit made by lying to one customer are lost when that customer lets others know how you treat them and your reputation is shot and other potential customers shop elsewhere.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What 2 dealers are stupid enough to consider that regulated?

So the rest of us will know to go elsewhere.
    Just so you know: the MSP, in the past, have told FFLs that they only HBARs that are unregulated are the ones with fixed stocks. Just so you know...

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Find an FFL that agrees it is unregulated.

All HBARs should be unregulated but each FFL is free to decide how they will sell it. Some don't sell as cash and carry if the specific "Colt HBAR Sporter" brand requirement is not met per the regulated MD list. Make the argument that all HBARs are created equal, or take your business elsewhere if they disagree.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Colt "Sporters", or Match Targets, with HBAR, do not have flash suppressors or bayonet lugs. That could be were the concern comes from?

Not true.

Only those made during the Federal ban period are missing the flash suppressors and/or bayonet lugs.

I have an HBAR Sporter, cash and carry, that has the flash suppressor but no bayonet lug. It was made and purchased in the Federal ban period.

People get worried because the MD regulated list says AR-15s and "copies and imitations." But the HBAR exemption does not.

BUT, wording was added at teh top of the regulated list, covering ALL items on the list, that mentioned "copies and imitations."

This is because, with the list was made, they did cover the copies and imitations of the basic AR, but there were no HBARs other than the Colt. They later added the "copies and imitations" wording to the entire list after someone figured out that if you changed the name, it was not longer on the list.

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    i have read the law numerous times as late as tonight. teh law states that only colt match target hbar is excempt. i have not seen and exemption from msp and if anyopne has such a thing i would love to read it. our store is only using thelaw as written. like i said if i could see a copy i would love to have it

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    i have read the law numerous times as late as tonight. teh law states that only colt match target hbar is excempt. i have not seen and exemption from msp and if anyopne has such a thing i would love to read it. our store is only using thelaw as written. like i said if i could see a copy i would love to have it
    You need to read the top part of the section, where it says "and their copies". That applies to everything in the list, including the exceptions.

Chaplain America

Bitter Clinger
    Mar 14, 2013
    Frederick
    Related question:

Does the definition of "HBAR" only pertain the the barrel's profile, such that any barrel that tapers is excluded?

Rephrase... can a M4 profile barrel be considered an HBAR, perhaps due to its material (ie, literal "weight"), or are M4 profile and HBAR mutually exclusive.

Thanks in advance.

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    Related question:

Does the definition of "HBAR" only pertain the the barrel's profile, such that any barrel that tapers is excluded?

Rephrase... can a M4 profile barrel be considered an HBAR, perhaps due to its material (ie, literal "weight"), or are M4 profile and HBAR mutually exclusive.

Thanks in advance.

It's not weight it's the profile. Not
    Pencil barrel and not a govt profile with cut out.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In general, if no part of the barrel is thinner than where the gas block mounts, it should be an HBAR.

The standard AR barrel profile has the barrel thinner under the handguard to reduce weight.

M4 and others also have the thin portion to mount the M203 grenade launcher, so two thin areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom