Registering with the Secretary of State Police.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glendonboy

Feb 20, 2012
    "A person who purchased an assault long gun or copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, and registered it with the Secretary of State Police is not required to reregister the weapon. A number of specified persons and circumstances are exempted from the current law prohibitions related to the possession of assault weapons, as amended by the bill." from SB 281.

What constitutes registering with the Secretary of the State Police? Was this done at purchase? And what if you possessed an assault long rigle prior to moving to MD?.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    "A person who purchased an assault long gun or copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, and registered it with the Secretary of State Police is not required to reregister the weapon. A number of specified persons and circumstances are exempted from the current law prohibitions related to the possession of assault weapons, as amended by the bill." from SB 281.

I do not know what you are quoting from, but that is not a quote from any version of SB 281. It is apparently somebody's paraphrase of an earlier version. In the version that the House passed yesterday and that the Senate is now preparing to take up, there is no registration requirement for "assault" weapons lawfully owned on October 1, 2013.

There is a requirement that in the future, new Maryland residents register all "regulated firearms" within 90 days of establishing residency.

For more, see my analysis here, which reflects the House-passed amendments:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114263

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    If you send in your paperwork and buy the gun around Sep 22nd but it hasn't come back yet by Sep 30th are you screwed?

No. The "grandfather clause" covers any "assault" firearm for which an individual has placed a purchase order by October 31.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    registration is out, unless the senate puts it back in, which is unlikely

please read the current bill, not an older version

glendonboy

Feb 20, 2012
    I do not know what you are quoting from, but that is not a quote from any version of SB 281. It is apparently somebody's paraphrase of an earlier version. In the version that the House passed yesterday and that the Senate is now preparing to take up, there is no registration requirement for "assault" weapons lawfully owned on October 1, 2013.

There is a requirement that in the future, new Maryland residents register all "regulated firearms" within 90 days of establishing residency.

For more, see my analysis here, which reflects the House-passed amendments:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114263

Thanks! That is what has got me asking. All the meetings I attended all were screaming registration. Glad at least part of it is gone.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    registration is out, unless the senate puts it back in, which is unlikely

please read the current bill, not an older version

In the current version, which the Senate approved today, registration of "assault" weapons is indeed out. However, the requirement remains for persons who become residents of Maryland, after the law takes effect, to register all handguns and other legally owned "regulated" firearms within 90 days of establishing residency.

Last edited:

glendonboy

Feb 20, 2012
    OK. What about the SKS I bought in 1993 from my cousin while living in NC. I move to MD in 1999. What is the status of my SKS(with detachable 30 rd mags)!

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    OK. What about the SKS I bought in 1993 from my cousin while living in NC. I move to MD in 1999. What is the status of my SKS(with detachable 30 rd mags)!

Based on those facts, the firearm and its magazine would be lawfully owned by you prior to Oct. 1, 2013, and therefore you may continue to possess and transport it as before. There is no registration requirement in the bill, except for people who become new residents after October 1, 2013.

However, if you wish to sell your firearm after Oct. 1, your options will be limited. You can sell it to an FFL dealer in another state. Or, you can sell it to a private individual in another state, and transfer it via an FFL in that state, as you would do with any other modern firearm. Or you can pass it on by inheritance to an heir in Maryland -- but first you have to die.

As to the magazines, even today, you cannot lawfully offer them for sale in Maryland, or sell them, or otherwise transfer them within Maryland, with or without the gun. It is not unlawful to possess them, unless you purchased them in Maryland after 2002, in which case the purchase would have been unlawful.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    If you had to go through the 7-day MSP check, you are registered

Now heres a Wrinkle.
    How about a NICS check and go 12ga AK clone like the SAIGA or VEPR.

IF you have changed the Stock to be a folder and done your 922r compliance...as I read it the folder makes it a banned weapon.

Is it registered if you legally bought it in MD without the waiting period?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Now heres a Wrinkle.

IF you have changed the Stock to be a folder and done your 922r compliance...as I read it the folder makes it a banned weapon.

I'm not sure I entirely follow your question, but if it is lawfully possessed as of today, it will be grandfathered in and legal. if it is now a firearm described in the bill as a "copycat" and banned, then you would not be able to sell it in Maryland in the future.

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm not sure I entirely follow your question, but if it is lawfully possessed as of today, it will be grandfathered in and legal. if it is now a firearm described in the bill as a "copycat" and banned, then you would not be able to sell it in Maryland in the future.

The law covers aftermarket parts?

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Now heres a Wrinkle.

The question is If you bought a weapon that did not require a 7-day wait, but under the provisions of the new law meets the criteria.,.,.

Is it already registered under grandfathering?
    OR
    will you now have to register it because you put an aftermarket qualifying feature on it?

Specific: I have a VEPR-12 shotgun. I have changed the parts to become 922r compliant so that I may use 10 round Mags.
    ONE of those parts is an aftermarket folding stock.

As I read the Provisions of the law a Shotgun with a detachable mag, a pistol grip and a folding stock fits thier gun-grabbing defintion of an Assault shotgun and since I legally own it now it would be grandfathered, but as I understand it It would NOT be currently registered because I did not go through the MSP 7 day period.

THUS - I suspect I would have to register the weapon during the grace period in order to legally comply with the law.

Am I missing something?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The question is If you bought a weapon that did not require a 7-day wait, but under the provisions of the new law meets the criteria.,.,.

Is it already registered under grandfathering?
    OR
    will you now have to register it because you put an aftermarket qualifying feature on it?

Specific: I have a VEPR-12 shotgun. I have changed the parts to become 922r compliant so that I may use 10 round Mags.
    ONE of those parts is an aftermarket folding stock.

As I read the Provisions of the law a Shotgun with a detachable mag, a pistol grip and a folding stock fits thier gun-grabbing defintion of an Assault shotgun and since I legally own it now it would be grandfathered, but as I understand it It would NOT be currently registered because I did not go through the MSP 7 day period.

THUS - I suspect I would have to register the weapon during the grace period in order to legally comply with the law.

Am I missing something?

The same would apply for SBR's.

I'm curious how the MSP is going to deal with those who went the trust route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom