• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • olzkool

Feb 20, 2009
    Baltimore
    Hello,
    I didn't know where to post this but figured you C&R guys would probably know the answer.
    I recently was given a Mauser 1920 issue 1910 7.65 pistol. My grandfather passed it on to my father with the rest of his collection of old guns before he passed away. Now since my father sees I am ammassing quite the arsenal he decided to give me this to add to it. When I asked him if it was registered, after he laughed, he informed me that the majority of my grandfathers military gun collection were "aquired" during different tours of duty from either him or his father. So now I have a very sentimental piece that is probably illegal. All my other guns are legit so I would hate to lose them because of this one. Is there a way to register it? does it need to be since it is 90 years old? Or is the only way around it to get a C&R. I don't know why but I never got around to getting mine.

Thanks in advance for your help

ghost

Jan 20, 2008
    There is absolutely NO law requiring you to "register" a handgun, or otherwise, UNLESS, it's a full auto. You might want to ask your local firearms dealer about how to go about getting the proper Treasury certificate to own if, if it's a full auto. OR, google the question "full auto weapons, registration requirements" or some such, and it'll bring up the law and etc for you. But, as noted, if it is NOT full auto, it's no ones business that you have it, and the LAST thing I'd do and probably most people on this forum, would do, is register it. IF, however, you were to sell it to someone, then you are "supposed" to go through the rigamarole of having a nics check done, and the proper paperwork filed with the State Police, etc., which means you're likely to have to do the transfer through a dealer.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    There are different scenarios which require different requirements at the state level, so I need more information. But this is the basics:

The gun is not illegal and there is no mandatory registration to begin with for handguns in MD that are not so called "assault pistols".

The gun can only be gifted to you without an FFL if you and your father are both MD residents.

If both of youand your father are MD residents and it is a gift, then all you need to do is to notify the MDSP by filling out an application for purchase/transfer and sending it in within five days of recieving the regulated handgun.

If your father is not a MD resident and you have a C&R FFL, then as an FFL you can recieve the regulated handgun which is a C&R from out of state, but he cannot transfer it to you while he is in MD without involving a MD regulated firearms dealer.

Inheritance is a totally different animal on the federal and state level, but since your father is still alive for this transfer, it does not seem to be an inheritance.

Complicated, I know, but if you so desire I can cite code for you. Just remember though that I am not a lawyer.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    MD law:
    Article - Public Safety

§ 5-136. ....

....(2) If the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser's spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:

(i) complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and

(ii) forward the application to the Secretary within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

(3) The Secretary shall waive the $10 application fee required under § 5-118(a)(2) of this subtitle for a gift purchased in accordance with this subsection.
    No fee and no waiting period if both you and your father are residents of MD.

olzkool

Feb 20, 2009
    Baltimore
    Thank you guys very much. This is all very helpful. My father and I are both MD residents and its a 1910 so its not full auto, its semi. Although my grandfather had quite a few full autos so I guess I will have to eventually deal with that hurdle when it comes. I just know every gun I have ever purchased form a dealer or private owner I had to do paperwork. I did not want to be in a situation, say going to the range or cop in my house, where I could not produce paperwork and all my guns were taken because of something stupid.

I appreciate all your help,
    Thanks again!
    Chris

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    What if one is a resident of Pennsylvania and the latter is a resident of Maryland?

If a gift you would have to go through an FFL and if a MD regulated firearm you will have to go through a MD regulated firearms dealer FFL (MDSP cannot do interstate transfers). Not sure, but in this case I assume you will have to go through the same process as you would if you were not family members (seven day wait and $10 fee).
    If the regulated firearms are being inherited from a dead person across state lines, then no FFL or MD regulated firearms dealer needed, but the MDSP would have to be notified after the fact.

jroot

Apr 3, 2009
    Not trying to encourage and law breaking but having a gun that is older than transfer laws would make me think that it would be fairly difficult to procecute if someone called you on it.

Also transfer laws are only applicable to MD to MD resident ...there is no laws saying you cant get a gun from your out of state buddy or from the classifieds while on out of state vacation.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not trying to let anyone in the Govt know what I have if I can help it.

This is my first post ...not knowing the attitudes around here hopefully I won't get beat up to bad.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Not trying to encourage and law breaking but having a gun that is older than transfer laws would make me think that it would be fairly difficult to procecute if someone called you on it.

Also transfer laws are only applicable to MD to MD resident ...there is no laws saying you cant get a gun from your out of state buddy or from the classifieds while on out of state vacation.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not trying to let anyone in the Govt know what I have if I can help it.

This is my first post ...not knowing the attitudes around here hopefully I won't get beat up to bad.

Your post is so full of wrong information. You need an education fast, before you do something you'll regret. There are 100's of laws regarding out of state transfers (getting a gun from your buddy, or a classifieds out of state). You need to follow the laws of both states, AND the federal laws. My book on state gun laws is about the size of a phone book, and my book on federal guns laws is almost as big.

jroot

Apr 3, 2009
    My bad ... did some research, you are correct, interstate sales must go through an FFL.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    My bad ... did some research, you are correct, interstate sales must go through an FFL.

Don't feel too bad, there are 20,000 to 30,000 and possibly more gun laws in this country with many of them federal laws, we can't be expected to know them all. :sad20:

Joeygregory01

May 9, 2023
    Maryland
    There is absolutely NO law requiring you to "register" a handgun, or otherwise, UNLESS, it's a full auto. You might want to ask your local firearms dealer about how to go about getting the proper Treasury certificate to own if, if it's a full auto. OR, google the question "full auto weapons, registration requirements" or some such, and it'll bring up the law and etc for you. But, as noted, if it is NOT full auto, it's no ones business that you have it, and the LAST thing I'd do and probably most people on this forum, would do, is register it. IF, however, you were to sell it to someone, then you are "supposed" to go through the rigamarole of having a nics check done, and the proper paperwork filed with the State Police, etc., which means you're likely to have to do the transfer through a dealer.
    My father just came across quite a few guns while my uncle passed in Tennessee we live in Maryland he got a 40 caliber Glock a 44 revolver a 1911 and a few other guns also an AR-10 which I'm sure has to be registered I don't know but am I allowed to carry one of these guns if it comes for my uncle and it's not in my name for my Maryland wear and carry? I can't seem to find a clear answer everyone that I look up goes to a State website demanding that you register it immediately no matter what kind of gun it is or how you acquired it legally I mean how you legally acquired it please let me know if you know because I'm not going to go out of my way and pay a bunch of b******* money that I really don't have if I can carry the gun knowing there's no bodies on it and it's in my uncle's name who shares the same last name as me but I certainly don't want to break the law and get my guns taken away or Worse get my permit and guns taken away for rolling the dice and personally don't feel comfortable letting the government know everything that I own they pretty much already do but there's guns my dad has acquired over the years he probably has about 8 to 10 shotguns about 30 high-powered rifles maybe I'm exaggerating at least 20 and between me and him we have about 15 or so handguns and of all those guns about eight of them or nine of them have come from my uncle a few long rifles a couple old antique guns and the handguns I explained to both sorry about the long run on settings or punctuation but I have very poor eyesight because I broke my glasses and I'm using voice text so I apologize now for the typos and the paragraph I just wanted to explain everything but I really want to try the Glock out for Carrie before I buy one never was a big block fan but took that one to the range and learn how to properly hold the guns not cup and saucer but more of a competition tournament shooting Style grip that controls the recoil on those light guns especially Sub in microcompacts my cp365 is as smooth as my 25 lb Beretta M9 LOL with the correct grip I don't know the correct term the way you hold it to fire it the gun instructor explain there's quite a few different ways to operate and fire Firearms like handguns but I tried all of them and when I switched over to a tournament Style with both of my thumbs on the right side of the slide holding the nearly nor the slots firmly so The Recoil is in as bad as it would be there some resistance the gun performs flawlessly like I'm shooting a 22 once I go back to the regular one-handed shoot for the cup and saucer it's a violent snapping Monster again LOL Anyway any advice would help they are not worried about because I know that probably has to be registered and I don't plan to take that anywhere but the range and they never check anyway and if they did it wouldn't come up stolen but before I take that up there I'm going to double check my legal responsibilities because he lives in Tennessee and it also came with about 10 50 round Magpul aftermarket mags filled with 308 rounds I don't know if they'll have a heart attack if I come in there with what they so call label banana clips which I don't even understand that because there's no food involved and I don't see a cliff anywhere except for maybe the button that releases it on the gun to reload LOL anyway that's my story if you get back to me that'd be great again I apologize about the novel just trying to be thorough you have a great one either way thank you

Jimgoespewpew

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2021
    Terlingua
    My father just came across quite a few guns while my uncle passed in Tennessee we live in Maryland he got a 40 caliber Glock a 44 revolver a 1911 and a few other guns also an AR-10 which I'm sure has to be registered I don't know but am I allowed to carry one of these guns if it comes for my uncle and it's not in my name for my Maryland wear and carry? I can't seem to find a clear answer everyone that I look up goes to a State website demanding that you register it immediately no matter what kind of gun it is or how you acquired it legally I mean how you legally acquired it please let me know if you know because I'm not going to go out of my way and pay a bunch of b******* money that I really don't have if I can carry the gun knowing there's no bodies on it and it's in my uncle's name who shares the same last name as me but I certainly don't want to break the law and get my guns taken away or Worse get my permit and guns taken away for rolling the dice and personally don't feel comfortable letting the government know everything that I own they pretty much already do but there's guns my dad has acquired over the years he probably has about 8 to 10 shotguns about 30 high-powered rifles maybe I'm exaggerating at least 20 and between me and him we have about 15 or so handguns and of all those guns about eight of them or nine of them have come from my uncle a few long rifles a couple old antique guns and the handguns I explained to both sorry about the long run on settings or punctuation but I have very poor eyesight because I broke my glasses and I'm using voice text so I apologize now for the typos and the paragraph I just wanted to explain everything but I really want to try the Glock out for Carrie before I buy one never was a big block fan but took that one to the range and learn how to properly hold the guns not cup and saucer but more of a competition tournament shooting Style grip that controls the recoil on those light guns especially Sub in microcompacts my cp365 is as smooth as my 25 lb Beretta M9 LOL with the correct grip I don't know the correct term the way you hold it to fire it the gun instructor explain there's quite a few different ways to operate and fire Firearms like handguns but I tried all of them and when I switched over to a tournament Style with both of my thumbs on the right side of the slide holding the nearly nor the slots firmly so The Recoil is in as bad as it would be there some resistance the gun performs flawlessly like I'm shooting a 22 once I go back to the regular one-handed shoot for the cup and saucer it's a violent snapping Monster again LOL Anyway any advice would help they are not worried about because I know that probably has to be registered and I don't plan to take that anywhere but the range and they never check anyway and if they did it wouldn't come up stolen but before I take that up there I'm going to double check my legal responsibilities because he lives in Tennessee and it also came with about 10 50 round Magpul aftermarket mags filled with 308 rounds I don't know if they'll have a heart attack if I come in there with what they so call label banana clips which I don't even understand that because there's no food involved and I don't see a cliff anywhere except for maybe the button that releases it on the gun to reload LOL anyway that's my story if you get back to me that'd be great again I apologize about the novel just trying to be thorough you have a great one either way thank you
    Wow, that was an illiterate batch of verbal diarrhea from a brand new account, posted to a 14 year old thread. Gee, I'm not skeptical at all of this being an imposter.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Welcome to the forum…now go introduce yourself.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you cannot take the time to create a post using any kind of sentence structure, whether it is grammatically correct or not, I will not attempt to read it.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to resemble the written language.
    An introduction would be nice if it is intelligible.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Come for the firearms…stay to improve your grammar.

I love you guys

I agree. I can’t read that.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I read the post and the author apologizes that they have vision problems and are using text to talk.

That being said I have no idea how to begin with that stream of consciousness posting.

OP, please ask one question per post and keep it short and concise if you expect help.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Whoa, wait, what?

My eyes hurt, and my head hurts more. I'd like to help, but it's way beyond my capacity.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Brick walls are not only hard to climb, but almost impossible to read. Try paragraphs, each containing their own subject, and in the case of forums, divide each paragraph with a blank space, since these formats don't allow for indentations.

Welcome to MDS

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom