• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I don't, unless its what the lady specifically wants.

Try out different guns. Go to a range that rents handguns, and let her try out .380, then 9mm, and so on.

She should choose the largest caliber that she can effectively control and make accurate shots on target. Make sure that the frame size fits her hand correctly. Send her to a good class for training, and whatever you do don't try to teach her yourself how to shoot.

If time is not a factor, have her attend one of the Women On Target Pistol Clinics being offered by the Women's Division of Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club.

She will get a chance to shoot a variety of sem-automatics and revolvers as well as some great coaching, continental breakfast and lunch! A full day of shooting a variety of firearms for only $40.00.

You can send an e-mail to mwotinfo@gmail.com or e-mail the clinic director, Patty West (pskryja@gmail.com or pskryja here on MDS).

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    well in that case.....
    SIG P226, 228 or 229

I have a SIG P225 for the little lady, the single stack magazine is a better fit for her small hands. Also, the decocker is easy to use and makes it really easy to drop the hammer. :rolleyes:

You can pickup a police turn in SIG P6 for about $400 on Gun Broker; or if you're lucky a P225.

Originally, I thought my Hk4 would be the perfect fit but the blow back action is a little snappy.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    From your profile doesn't look like you're too far from Continental Arms range in Timonium. I would suggest going there and renting some to try. They have a ton of used guns up for rent. It'll be fun and you'll avoid buying something you regret later.

She may also want to go to the MD Gun Safety website and watch the required video and print out the form before you go shopping. Will save you about 45 minutes at a store, assuming whichever store is even set up for you to view it on site. If she's got a DD214 that will suffice instead of the safety course.

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    From your profile doesn't look like you're too far from Continental Arms range in Timonium. I would suggest going there and renting some to try. They have a ton of used guns up for rent. It'll be fun and you'll avoid buying something you regret later.

She may also want to go to the MD Gun Safety website and watch the required video and print out the form before you go shopping. Will save you about 45 minutes at a store, assuming whichever store is even set up for you to view it on site. If she's got a DD214 that will suffice instead of the safety course.

We were actually at continental arms on Fri. shooting the sig. She already has the safety course card

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    In .380, try the Bersa .380

In 9mm, the M&P 9 or 9c or Ruger SR9c

In .45, the Taurus PT-145 or M&P .45c

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Women are just like normal people, mostly. They have personal preferences. As said rental is the way forward. I have taught a ton (by volume not weight) of shooter GFs. One girl was zero to shooting tight groups with a 1911 in 30 minutes. Another after years never wanted to move beyond .22.

There are no certainties with the ladies. It is less expensive to give her the rental option to choose what fits. She will be happier that way and that is what matters.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I try to find a friend with a different selection than I have and then take 2her to the range.

My wife's favorite gun is my 44 mag (S&W 629-1 with 8 3/8" barrel). She often thinks 9mm doesn't have enough recoil. When CCW hits we will be looking for a new gun for her tho.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Consider a 9mm. .40 is less capacity and more recoil. >45 just costs too much to practice alot with.

Forget a Glock, not nice ergos.

Forget a M92, too big for good ergos.

Forget a 1911, a good defensive worthy one is not for a budget minded option

Forget a CZ for a lady, the slide cocking surface is too small unless she has real strong hands.

Forget a Sigma, terrible triggers.

Forget HK USP and FNP45, too big.

Forget a Taurus auto unless its a Beretta CLone

Forget a Ruger Autos, they are marginal performers with so so accuracy, triggers, and aftermarket support. They ARE RELIABLE.

Forget a revolver, regardless of what people say they are terrible choices for ladies in most cases.

Forget the XD, and XDM they are lubricant sensitive and not as reliable as gun magazines make them out to be.

Heres what I suggest...............

German 226 SIG Pre Owned Certified 9mm ($600-$800)

FNP9 is a good alternative to the 226 but is Polymer ($400-$500)

Walther PPQ 9mm ($500-$600) Its an HK for half the cost

S&W M&P9 9mm ($500-$600)

HK P30/P2000 9mm (Expensive, $800-$1000)

FN Hi-Power 9mm ($400-$600)

Top Pick for me it the PPQ, the HK, then the Hi-Power.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is no such thing female or male gun.

There can be factors relating to hand size , upper body strength , and shooting experience. For guys or women.

And Mrs Biggfoot dispises semis , will only shoot revolvers. The Biggfoot-ette "owns" a pink Sig Mosquito , but likes revolvers also. The Biggfoot's Cousin could sorta tolerate semis if she had to , but prefered .357s .

Feb 11, 2012
    Eden, MD
    I love 1911 45's, but it does not mean she will and I am like my name says shortnfluffy, but it does not mean another shortynfluffy woman can handle it nor does it mean a tallandfluffy or a rail thin can not. If you don't have a variety of guns for her to try, meet up with someone at a local range and let her try some different types out. Me personally like I said love the way the 1911 feels, 22's are fine to plink but I like the knock down power of the 45, it just feels right.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    I just went through this with my wife a few weeks ago. What is most important is what fits her hand the best and is most comfortable.

I originally thought my wife would be comfortable with a small frame polymer frame gun but ended up with a full size all metal frame one.

I took her to several shops and let her fondle just about every handgun each shop had until she found what was just right, and when she found it, she knew it right then and there.

Good luck.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    most of us instructors recommend a revolver as a first firearm

fewer moving parts and things you have to remember under stress

I understand what you're saying and I don't necessarily disagree with it but you have to keep in mind that with a revolver, at some point in a fight, you may have to disassemble and reassemble the gun. That takes practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom