• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    How tall, strong and fat is she?
    If she's petite .38 Special or 9mm for defensive.
    If she's a lrager woman .45
    But bottom line is whatever she's comfortable with.
    If her favorite gun is a pink .22 with flower grips who cares so long as she's willing to use it.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Has she shot anything before? What's it for? I'd look at compact and full-size 9mm guns from Beretta, CZ, FN, Glock, H&K, Springfield, S&W, and Walther.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    My wife is from good hearty German stock. She likes a Ruger GP 100 with .357 Magnum loads.

My 11 year old daughter likes a 1911 in .45ACP.

The choices are endless for women.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Use would be my question, range and home defense or hope for carry someday?

Probably a good place to start would be a CZ75 compact or Sig 226. I would definately look for something where you can get a good .22 conversion too so you can have excuses for nice romantic cheap range dates.

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    How tall, strong and fat is she?
    If she's petite .38 Special or 9mm for defensive.
    If she's a lrager woman .45
    But bottom line is whatever she's comfortable with.
    If her favorite gun is a pink .22 with flower grips who cares so long as she's willing to use it.

About 5'9" 175 lbs.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    My wife is looking to buy a handgun but was wondering if you guys and/or girls have any recommendations.

No one but your wife can answer that question. Give her directions to one of the ranges that rents handguns and let her pick one. If she doesn't have any experience then get her some training and let the instructor know that they should bring a variety of guns.

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    Has she shot anything before? What's it for? I'd look at compact and full-size 9mm guns from Beretta, CZ, FN, Glock, H&K, Springfield, S&W, and Walther.

Yes she has shot before. She has used an M16 in the military and has shot m sig 9mm.

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    most of us instructors recommend a revolver as a first firearm

fewer moving parts and things you have to remember under stress

She doesn't really like revolvers but is looking for a good home defense pistol. I like my sig for home defense because it doesn't have a manual safety to fumble with when time is critical.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    No one but your wife can answer that question. Give her directions to one of the ranges that rents handguns and let her pick one. If she doesn't have any experience then get her some training and let the instructor know that they should bring a variety of guns.

this^. take her to a range that rents. try few different calibers and handgun sizes.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    most of us instructors recommend a revolver as a first firearm

I don't, unless its what the lady specifically wants.

Try out different guns. Go to a range that rents handguns, and let her try out .380, then 9mm, and so on.

She should choose the largest caliber that she can effectively control and make accurate shots on target. Make sure that the frame size fits her hand correctly. Send her to a good class for training, and whatever you do don't try to teach her yourself how to shoot.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    It sounds like you have a good excuse to go to the range and rent a bunch of guns for you...I meant her to try. It's a lot of preference with firearms. Let her shoot different ones to see what she likes. I'd probably suggest a 9mm or a .22 depending on how she feels about recoil.

Edit: I just noticed she has some experience shooting. I would say whatever she enjoys shooting the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    She shouldn't even think about choosing one to buy until she's shot at least 25 to 50 rounds through several pistols and revolvers. Here are a couple places with good information:

The Cornered Cat

Women & Guns Magazine

Books: I recommend Armed and Female and Not An Easy Target by Paxton Quigley.

Most of the organizations I link to below have programs for women shooters.

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium
    She shouldn't even think about choosing one to buy until she's shot at least 25 to 50 rounds through several pistols and revolvers. Here are a couple places with good information:

The Cornered Cat

Women & Guns Magazine

Books: I recommend Armed and Female and Not An Easy Target by Paxton Quigley.

Most of the organizations I link to below have programs for women shooters.

We did rent an xd9 and she did like that gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom