• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Ruger Mk II/III/IV with the 6-7/8" slab sided bull barrel. Once dialed in, it will reliably ring an 8" steel plate at 100 yards.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I've owned my Ruger SR22 since around 2017...and am approaching 20,000 rounds through the gun. I mean it when I say I've never had a problem past a blown roll pin (a consumable part, and Ruger replaced it free). 10 round mags...but it's a trainer pistol, so who cares? No zamak, all aluminum 1 piece frame and glass-filled nylon frame. With the warranty, worth every nickel and would buy another one without question over any of the other options.

Last edited:

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    You must be a good shooter 100 yards 8 " ring old man like my self ,would have a hard time seeing let alone hitting.

It's definitely a challenge. I cheat and use a red dot. I also paint the whole target orange to improve visibility. If everything goes right, you hear Pop!.................ping! .22s take their time reaching the target.

Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    Heat it up. It'll come off.
    I've tried heat, cold, heat then cold, soaking in oil, and during a range trip it became a mini-project for the staff there. The popular opinion is that it's not coming off, likely due to it having been cross-threaded during assembly. At this point I've given up and it's been pretty much worn smooth. Taurus support told me they wanted the entire firearm shipped to them for $50, when I get around to it I'll just order a new barrel for the same price. It shoots just fine and I don't presently own a suppressor or anything yet anyway, it'll save me the cost of renting one.
    ---------
    They just announced a TX22 Compact.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Figure the hardest shots in steel challenge are a 12" plate at 20 yards or a 18x24 at 35 yards, and several with 10" plates at 7 yards.

pretty much any pistol over 2lbs will slow down the fast stages, and sight radius for longer barrels take more time to line up, use fat bright sights or a red dot, and 5 mags. I have run it a lot with several pistols, my 22/45 MK4 LITE with VQ trigger is my fastest 22 in it. That pistol smokes my 7" bull barreled buckmark hunter despite that Buckmark being far easier to shoot small groups with, it's just too slow. Ruger MK series cycle fast and reliably with SV loads, many of the "22 service pistols" like the Sig 322 Taurus TX22, M&P etc kinda cycle slow comparitively. Pretty much the opposite criteria of bullseye.

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    One opinion here... I had a Browning Buckmark in the Matte Black finish. That gun would have developed surface rust in a bag of rice. Worst finish I've ever seen on a gun from a major manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom