• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I have 5 Aero Precision lowers from pre FSA 2013 - $375 for all five + transfer at Duffys

I have 1 no name lower from post FSA 2013. I think I paid $50 for it.

I have BCGs and charging handles for all 6. They are:

Toolcraft Non-Logoed Premium 5.56 Nickel Boron BCG with Carpenter 158 Bolt - $80 each
    BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle (Model: 5.56mm / MOD3B) - $40 each

I will likely use an Aero LPK (or similar - open to recommendations here too) with no FCG $50 each. I will likely buy separate triggers and go with:

LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger $80 each

The question I have is what uppers do I use to complete these rifles? I will probably buy 1 or 2 complete uppers to get a feel for barrels and gas systems before I go 100% custom. I have seen prices as low as $300 (PSA) and prices as high as $1500 (Noevske). I am looking to use these to shoot with family and friends and home defense. I am probably looking for the best bang for the buck - don't need or want match grade. I am very open to waiting months or even longer for specials, discounts, blems, etc...

Would like to try different barrel lengths, different gas lengths and different hardware.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Last edited:

USAF05

Just one more gun...
    Sep 26, 2022
    Andrews AF
    I have 5 Aero Precision lowers from pre FSA 2013 - $375 for all five + transfer at Duffys

I have 1 no name lower from post FSA 2013. I think I paid $50 for it.

I have BCGs and charging handles for all 6. They are:

I will likely use an Aero LPK (or similar - open to recommendations here too) with no FCG $50 each. I will likely buy separate triggers and go with:

The question I have is what uppers do I use to complete these rifles? I will probably buy 1 or 2 complete uppers to get a feel for barrels and gas systems before I go 100% custom. I have seen prices as low as $300 (PSA) and prices as high as $1500 (Noevske). I am looking to use these to shoot with family and friends and home defense. I am probably looking for the best bang for the buck - don't need or want match grade. I am very open to waiting months or even longer for specials, discounts, blems, etc...

Would like to try different barrel lengths, different gas lengths and different hardware.

Thanks for all your thoughts.
    PSA's Halloween sale is going on. Saw some uppers as low as $199.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    look at larue. He's had some crazy good deals on uppers in the past and they WILL shoot

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Honestly any should work, but at a minimum I stay with Aero Precision, overall value I like and their blemished stuff is better than some others non-blemished stuff.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Some have said PSA uppers are hit or miss, but I have two and both have been great. That being said, I also have three Bravo Company uppers abd they are very accurate and very well made. Another one I like is Windham Weaponry. A co-worker of mine has a Stag is very happy with. Another co-worker of mine has a DEL-ton he is happy with. In summary:

BCM (Bravo Company)
    PSA (Palmetto State Armory)
    Stag
    Windham Weaponry
    DELton
    Aero (also makes nice uppers).

I guess maybe Aero gets the nod for most cost-effective (quality vs price). BCM and Windham , though more money, are probably a of better quality.

[EDIT] Yeah - LaRue is really good, I agree. Up there with BCM and Windham.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And here are some ideas for you. I will say that I like iron sights and SBR configurations best.

1. Dissipator build. Carbine gas system with rifle length front sight post and hand guards:
    Windham has both HBAR and regular profile Dissi uppers.

Example

rifle-556-spikes-dissipator.jpeg

2. SBR with "Kino Configuration". A 12.5" barrel registered SBR with a carbine gas system and a mid length front sight post and hand guards.

Example

sbr-556-aeroprecision-orig.jpg

3. Run of the mill free-floated 16" barrel. These are not HBAR so for pre-2013 lower

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I can suggest what i did with my 2 Pre Oct 2013 Lowers.
    Retro AR build (built on surplus M16 parts) 20" barrel
    M4 Carbine (sort of) build. My break is pin and welded onto a 14.5" barrel
    I also have a Delton Dissipator (hbar) on a post 2013 lower. Just note it comes with a lighter spring to handle the gas system in the dissipator.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    BCM makes great, high value uppers. They don’t make an HBAR, but you don’t need one. They’re not the cheapest by any means but they’re absolutely rock solid for the price.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I have no complaints with my DoubleStar complete 5.56/.223 HBAR upper and quite frankly was incredibly surprised by how well my Bear Creek Arsenal 7.62x39 HBAR upper has done. My understanding is that BCA can be hit or miss, but my experience is that the upper I got is fantastic.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    And here are some ideas for you. I will say that I like iron sights and SBR configurations best.

1. Dissipator build. Carbine gas system with rifle length front sight post and hand guards:
    Windham has both HBAR and regular profile Dissi uppers.

Example

View attachment 386208

2. SBR with "Kino Configuration". A 12.5" barrel registered SBR with a carbine gas system and a mid length front sight post and hand guards.

Example

View attachment 386209

3. Run of the mill free-floated 16" barrel. These are not HBAR so for pre-2013 lower

That Delton Dissi is awesome. Wish it was in stock.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    IMO? Build your own. It doesn't take a lot of tools - you probably have most of them already - and you get to choose everything. You'll pay more, but you'll also have a greater understanding of how it went together why it works, and you'll have had your own hand in choosing all of the parts that go into it.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I am looking at going with a largely BCM build, but am a little confused. It seems like I can buy it already assembled for $699 (with no BCG or CH) or buy it in pieces for:

1) BCM BFH 5.56 NATO 1:7 Mid-Length Enhanced Lightweight AR-15 Barrel - Stripped .625 - 16" - $290
    2) BCM Receiver $130 - Only 1 available
    3) BCM MCMR M-LOK AR-15 Handguard - Aluminum - 15" - $160
    4) BCM Gas Block $35 - Only 1 available
    5) Gas Tube $8
    6) A2 Flash Hider $10

For a total of $633. I was expecting the pieces to be more expensive than the complete upper. There is a cheaper BCM complete upper for $599 - it doesn't have the BFH (heat forged) barrel, but can't find the same barrel on its own for much less than $290.

As far as I can tell the pieces are the same between both kits (other than the flash hider and the gas tube). I am worried I am missing a piece or something else that might account for the cost difference?

Thanks.

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Try Delton.…

^+1^ (4 x for me!)

Sign up for MidSouth’s weekly e-flyer - they have COMPLETE UPPERS on deep discounts about every 3 months. With holidays coming up, you won’t be waiting long …

My all time fav;

Delton 5.56 Complete Upper 16" Light Weight Profile With 15" MLOK 1x7 Twist​

Del-Ton # DT1040 | Item # 173-DT1040
    :

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I am looking at going with a largely BCM build, but am a little confused. It seems like I can buy it already assembled for $699 (with no BCG or CH) or buy it in pieces for:

1) BCM BFH 5.56 NATO 1:7 Mid-Length Enhanced Lightweight AR-15 Barrel - Stripped .625 - 16" - $290
    2) BCM Receiver $130 - Only 1 available
    3) BCM MCMR M-LOK AR-15 Handguard - Aluminum - 15" - $160
    4) BCM Gas Block $35 - Only 1 available
    5) Gas Tube $8
    6) A2 Flash Hider $10

For a total of $633. I was expecting the pieces to be more expensive than the complete upper. There is a cheaper BCM complete upper for $599 - it doesn't have the BFH (heat forged) barrel, but can't find the same barrel on its own for much less than $290.

As far as I can tell the pieces are the same between both kits (other than the flash hider and the gas tube). I am worried I am missing a piece or something else that might account for the cost difference?

Thanks.
    Why were you expecting the individual components to be less than the complete upper? It’s always been cheaper to buy the parts and build yourself.

That said, for the difference in price you mentioned, I’d go ahead and buy the complete upper. You’ll have a warranty to boot and BCM’s assembly QC is second to none at the price point.

I am also personally a big fan of BCM BCG’s. They can be trusted and are spec’d properly. They are worth it.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    ^+1^ (4 x for me!)

Sign up for MidSouth’s weekly e-flyer - they have COMPLETE UPPERS on deep discounts about every 3 months. With holidays coming up, you won’t be waiting long …

My all time fav;

Delton 5.56 Complete Upper 16" Light Weight Profile With 15" MLOK 1x7 Twist​

Del-Ton # DT1040 | Item # 173-DT1040
    :

That's awesome. Looked at Delton, but hadn't seen MidSouth before. The rifle kit with BCG, Bolt and CH is $400. Hard not to jump on it.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Why were you expecting the individual components to be less than the complete upper? It’s always been cheaper to buy the parts and build yourself.

That said, for the difference in price you mentioned, I’d go ahead and buy the complete upper. You’ll have a warranty to boot and BCM’s assembly QC is second to none at the price point.

I am also personally a big fan of BCM BCG’s. They can be trusted and are spec’d properly. They are worth it.

Thought that's what I read above. Must have misread it.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    $300 - $330 multiple times each year. Gotta be sorta quick though , they don’t linger!

Yikes. That's way less than half the price of the BCM because it comes with the full LPK, BCG and CH. That is so hard to pass up especially with all the support they get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom