• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Nikon P223 3x, M223 3x12. Vortex Viper 2.5x10. The M series Nikons are a little nicer but the P series are supposed to be very solid. I have the Vortex Vipers and it is really clear. I also have a Nikon Monarch that I really like as well.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    Vortex offers the crossfire with illuminated reticle for cheap. If I was going for the low end of things, I would skip the illumination and get a little better scope though...

Bearcat132

Nov 24, 2014
    Primary Arms has some nice lower cost scopes.

The UTG/Leapers were designed for air soft and may not hold up to real firearms use, although .223 is not hard recoiling.

With optics, like some other things, you get what you pay for. Buying cheap optics will end up with broken reticles, inconsistent movement of the reticle versus the turret clicks, poor light transmission, etc. And lack of service/support later.

Buy once, cry once. And optics is NOT the place to scrimp.

I don't know where you got that information from about being designed for air soft . I have used the scope successfully with 5.56x45, 7.62x51 , and 7.62x39 rifles with hundreds of rounds in each caliber the scope has never lost zero and holds up fine. For $90.00 it is well worth the money. I have owned the high end ones and to me there is not much difference in quality, fit and finish and especially features. I am not going to slap a $500.00 scope on a $600.00 AR. But to each his own , but as far as the quality of that UTG/Leapers scope it is on par with the high end ones in durability and quality.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And there a number of accounts of reticles coming loose in a few rounds.

The rule of thumb on optics has always been that the optics should cost at least as much as the rifle they are going on.

If you like cheap optics, go for it. But I prefer to have better optics, so when I am at a long range shooting course or event, I don't have to worry about my optics taking a dump.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Thanks for all of you suggestions. I will be showing this to my friend. He ought to be able to find one amongst all of the suggestions here.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The rule of thumb on optics has always been that the optics should cost at least as much as the rifle they are going on.

We have always heard this general guidance for scopes. But is this still applicable today? The technology for optics is way better than it was years ago when this rule of thumb was coined. Also - rifles have (I believe) become a little more expensive as well relative to inflation. I am not so sure a $300 scope is all that bad for a $600 rifle. I would think it would be AT LEAST adequate. That being said - optics are a get what you pay for kind of item. I think it depends on what you consider adequate.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Rifle prices have gone up, but so have scope prices. :)

And technology has gotten better for both.

A $300 scope may be enough, but people are talking about $60 - $100 scopes on $600+ rifles.

And then will come back to complain that when they really needed it, their cheap scope took a dump and to top it off, the manufacturer will not fix or replace it.

But you are right, you get what you pay for. Buy once, cry once. Buy cheap, buy twice. All these apply.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Vortex gives you more for your money than just about anyone else. The quality is excellent and the price is right. Company is in Wisconsin, but quality glass comes from Japan (just like almost every other scope) and the budget glass is from the Philippines. Go on their website and see what you like that also fits your budget. Then do a search on Amazon.com to see if you can get a better price and free shipping.

Panzer Radeo

National Wanderer
    Apr 21, 2014
    Avoid UTG/Leapers like the plague. They make a lot of airsoft stuff. The only thing i'd use from UTG are their risers. You get what you pay for. There's a difference between cheap and affordable. Primary arms makes a lot of budget but quality optics. I don't have the 4-16x illuminated, but I have the 1-6 ACSS and 4-14x44mm FFP mil mil and love them both. The 1-6 is illuminated and the 4-14 isnt but if the 4-16 is anything like the others, you'll be happy. Here's some photos. When I finish building my 20" upper, I intend to get another LT104 and another 4-14x44.

1-6 ACSS
    hHV80Ak.jpg

4-14x44mm FFP Mil Mil
    ZOPOw8F.jpg

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Vortex gives you more for your money than just about anyone else. The quality is excellent and the price is right. Company is in Wisconsin, but quality glass comes from Japan (just like almost every other scope) and the budget glass is from the Philippines. Go on their website and see what you like that also fits your budget. Then do a search on Amazon.com to see if you can get a better price and free shipping.
    Their Viper PST series is assembled in the Phillipines but uses Japanese glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom